Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-04-18, 05:22

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default The diet sufferers say is a ‘near cure’ for psoriasis and eczema

Quote:
From iNews
London, UK
3 October, 2018

‘My skin is 98 per cent clearer’: The diet sufferers say is a ‘near cure’ for psoriasis and eczema

We speak to sufferers who followed one woman's anti-inflammatory diet

For millions, psoriasis and eczema can be extremely uncomfortable or even painful and psychologically distressing.

Moisturisers and steroid creams are standard treatments but do not address the root cause of the problem.

That’s according to Hanna Sillitoe, who battled psoriasis for 20 years and has now become something of a self-taught skin guru.

The 39-year-old from Manchester – who resorted to wrapping clingfilm on her cracked, red-raw skin to stop her clothes rubbing against it – was left feeling hopeless after she tried every remedy under the sun.

But then she made a radical lifestyle overhaul four years ago – adopting an anti-inflammatory diet that cut out sugar, dairy, wheat, alcohol and caffeine – which she says has “near cured” her from the painful skin conditions.

She started a blog, published a book that’s sold 14,000 copies and was inundated with messages from people around the globe who’ve seen significant improvements with their skin woes. She’s now given up her job as an interior designer to run retreats to help fellow sufferers.

Both psoriasis and eczema run in families, and are considered chronic and largely incurable. Research has yet to confirm a definitive link between diet and psoriasis – an autoimmune disease that causes the immune system to overproduce skin cells, resulting in thickened, red, scaly and itchy skin patches. It’s recognised that sometimes food allergies can trigger eczema.

Hanna admits that she’s not a trained medical expert (but says she’s based her suggestions on sound research and worked with a qualified nutritionist). She feels doctors are ignoring the role of diet as a treatment and the anecdotal reports she’s received show her programme could save the NHS millions.

i reported on a selection of sufferers’ success stories here; now we’ve featured some more reports of people who are relieved to have found a way to control their flare-ups.

Read more at: https://inews.co.uk/news/health/ant...oriasis-eczema/

Last edited by Demi : Thu, Oct-04-18 at 07:56.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-04-18, 10:02

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Checked out Hanna's website. Looks very interesting. Thanks for this source, Demi.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-04-18, 10:19

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

My mother has suffered with psoriasis for as long as I can remember. SOme of the treatments over the years have been rather radical. Hope this method will make the lives of sufferers significantly better!!!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-04-18, 10:36

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Over the past few years, my husband has developed psoriasis on his legs. As long as he takes a daily probiotic and eats low carb, it disappears. He continues to drink alcohol (wine only) and drink lots of caffeine. Two or three weeks of beer and pretzels and it comes right back.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-05-18, 06:29

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

I have fairly mild eczema that comes & goes. It took a long time for me to figure out that it got worse (along with some other symptoms) when I binged on cheese.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-05-18, 13:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 216/200.5/185 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

I had a punch biopsy on my shin (leg) two years ago because skin cancer is common in the sunshine state and I couldn't identify the 25 cent piece sized itchy rash. It turned out to be psoriasis. I changed my nutrition radically (the usual) and it never came back. I'm a believer (Monkees 1966) HA
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-05-18, 18:33

Plan: Primal/IF
Stats: 220/165/176 Female 5'10"
BF:~40%/26.3%/29%
Progress: 125%

I would attest to this from my own experience. I have only gone gluten free/sugar free (Still have dairy and alcohol) and I am 90% clear after 3 months. I am going to experiment and go dairy free for a couple of weeks to see if it makes any difference but I have a feeling for me it was the sugar and grains that caused the issue.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-18, 23:43

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/170/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

My experience: While a generally low carb diet (esp no grains) dramatically improved my psoriatic arthritis 10 years ago...2 years on stricter low carb (under 30, climbing the ladder this last 3 months to under 50/60g) has done nothing for my skin.
Sigh

I’m not complaining though. I ve had psoriasis for 25 years, mostly elbows, back and scalp. As long as it stays off my face and hands I’m not complaining. It gets less when I’m not working...maybe I’ll go into remission at retirement!

I’m glad to hear that others get clear, though. There’s always hope!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Oct-11-18, 21:33

Plan: Primal/IF
Stats: 220/165/176 Female 5'10"
BF:~40%/26.3%/29%
Progress: 125%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ruby
My experience: While a generally low carb diet (esp no grains) dramatically improved my psoriatic arthritis 10 years ago...2 years on stricter low carb (under 30, climbing the ladder this last 3 months to under 50/60g) has done nothing for my skin.
Sigh

I’m not complaining though. I ve had psoriasis for 25 years, mostly elbows, back and scalp. As long as it stays off my face and hands I’m not complaining. It gets less when I’m not working...maybe I’ll go into remission at retirement!

I’m glad to hear that others get clear, though. There’s always hope!

Hey Blue - Did you go strictly gluten free? I also have heard dairy, legumes and nightshade plants can also affect people with psoriasis. I am going to try a dairy free month to see if it makes any difference shortly. I also avoid legumes.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Oct-11-18, 22:56

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/170/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

I haven’t had grains, wheat or otherwise (other than flax) such as bread, crackers, croutons, cake..anything with wheat in 2 years...about 4 Times I’ve had 1/2 a toast or a piece of cake for a birthday. But I don’t avoid like gluten in vitamin supplement, just food.

About every 5 years I do research ... last I heard they think there is a genetic component to psoriasis (unlike eczema where there does seem to be an allergy component) but something like 9 different genetic markers could be involved. So what works for one isn’t likely to work for the other 9.

However, I gather ppl have been helped by Dr Pagano. His diet is basically strictly low carb, with a specific gut-healing tea morning and night, with certain chiropractic treatments to improve the nerves through the spines to the digestive tract ... his approach is similar to healing leaky gut syndrome.

Here’s his book: https://www.amazon.ca/healing-psori...20john%20pagano

I have done blood tests for food sensitivities and it’s pretty clear leaky gut isn’t my issue. I have very few sensitivities, of foods i don’t much eat (soy, ginger.) i eat low carb. I did try his diet without the chiropractie work...I’m not comfortable with spinal manipulations. Basically if I do phototherapy religiously, apply creams sparingly and eat low carb, do yoga, reduce stress...it fades but is never clear. So I go up and down with how much work or effort I’m willing to put into clear skin...3 visits a week to the skin care clinic at hospital for phototherapy isn’t always easy to fit in.

I’ve never avooided dairy but based on my cravings and symptoms with the PA, i think wheat is more an issue for me.

Good luck with your trials.