Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 15:56
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 149/144.5/119 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 15%
Wink Cauliflower to the Rescue!

I was having a really bad craving for something starchy the other night. Had already picked up some cauliflower and thought....hmmmm, it's sort of ricey when it's overcooked. So, I boiled it, drained it, threw parmesan cheese, basil, butter, pepper, and bacon into it, gave it a good stir and Voila! It was like mashed potatoes! My husband couldn't believe it was low carb and said it tasted better than potatoes!

I'm just so thrilled to make this discovery, and now I see from looking at some recipes, that it's already been discovered! Couldn't help tooting my own horn a bit, though!

Only thing was, I ate significantly more than a cup of this stuff. Dr. Atkins book said "If you are hungry, eat!" So I did. No weight gain either! This is so cool!

PS - I'm currently on Day 6 of Induction
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 16:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 158/134/130 Female 5.7
BF:
Progress: 86%

I love cauliflower and I'm glad you tried mashing it with a bunch of yummy stuff. I've only ever had a cheese sauce and butter over it. I must give your version a try. Mind you, it gives me a lot of gas, I'd have to be careful not to eat more than a wee bit at a time!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 16:05
Registered Member

BF:

LOL Thanks for sharing! Everyone at work who saw my bacon and cheese and butter laden dish was like, "heh, I thought you were on a diet" They were positively aghast when I told them it was cauliflower and bacon, cheese, and butter were my friends again!
Oh, I also put a bunch of freshly ground black pepper in it. No salt, though, because the cheese and bacon have plenty of that! I want to try it next with some roasted garlic added! I know it's wacky to be so thrilled about a certain food, but it was just so satisfying after so many days of tuna salad! LOL
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 16:36

Stats: 138/122/115 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Whats the carb count for cauliflower?
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 16:45
Registered Member

BF:

4.11 per 100 grams, however much that is. I don't do much counting, but cauliflower is on the list for Induction, so I figure it's fine.

Do any of you weigh things by grams? I certainly hope I'm not supposed to be doing that!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 16:48

Stats: 253/240/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 12%

It's nice with some cream cheese mixed in with it as well, I've also heard of people grating cauli and using it as a rice substitute not tried this myself yet tho.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 17:01
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

What I love doing is making pork fried rice with it. You grate the raw cauliflower using a chopper or food processor. Cook your meat and take it out of the pan. Then fry the cauliflower for a while. After a bit mix in your meat, other veggies, soy sauce, what ever you would normally put in chicken or pork fried rice.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 17:04

Plan: atkins
Stats: 214/177/140 Female 5'6''
BF:35/28/23
Progress: 50%

I really don't like the taste of cooked cauliflower - does the faux rice taste of it?
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 17:04
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%

Have you tried the recipe on the Atkins website for cauliflower with Indian spices? It's divine.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 18:35

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/161/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

It's also great if you bake it for 15 min after adding some grated cheese and sour cream . I also add garlic and bacon . Spinkle some of the grated cheese on top, parmesan works well.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 19:33
I'll get there yet!

Plan: Atkins/nutritionist blend
Stats: 319/284.4/150 Female 66.5 inches
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 20%

I tried the cauliflower all mashed up with everything (except bacon) on/in it. We love it! In fact, DH says I should serve it to company and not say a WORD about low carb; it's just gourmet! LOL

Jude
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 20:31

Plan: NeanderThin, Atkins mix
Stats: 131/127/127 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 100%

I must admit that prior to Atkins, I tried never to eat cauliflower. I think it is the smell of fresh cauliflower that bothered me. So I bought some frozen and wow, I was impressed with what you can do with it. Tonight I drizzled butter and some sour cream over my mashed califlower and it was yummy.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 04:52

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 298/270/150 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 19%

After reading this thread last night I ran to the freezer and found a long lost bag of cauliflower!!! Steam it, mashed it and then added some real Butter and Parmesan Cheese!!

Oh My - that was a treat!!!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 05:24
Registered Member

BF:

Lady, I will try the pork fried rice you mentioned. Haven't had a pork chop in years, ya know, cuz it was "fatty" *sheesh* What a great idea!

RoseTattoo, I adore Indian spices and frequently make my own curry powders. I added curry to chicken salad y'day. Thanks so much for adding it to cauliflower idea - it's nice to have spicy foods to liven things up a bit!
And, Bumpy, I love the cream cheese idea, too, thanks!
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 07:03

Stats: 240/205/145 Female 5' 9-1/2"
BF:
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by orngepoppy
Only thing was, I ate significantly more than a cup of this stuff. Dr. Atkins book said "If you are hungry, eat!" So I did. No weight gain either! This is so cool!

Not to worry; it's probably impossible to eat enough cauliflower to make you gain weight!

Karla