Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-02-04, 14:28

Plan: atkins ish
Stats: 150/147/120 Female 5'3
BF:NoMore Preggers!
Progress: 10%
Default has anyone had a harder time getting pregnant?

Hey everyone-
I was wondering if anyone had a hard time getting pregnant while Lcing? I got pregnant very fast with my twins and after them I started atkins on 20 of carbs. I stuck on induction for awhile ( I didn't really know what I was doing! ) So when we tried to get pregnant with Skyler it took almost a year. I went to a eno specalist who put me on clomis since he thought I wasn't ovualting due to ONE dose of depo TWO YEARS ago.
I am just wondering if I would have a hard time getting pregnant again. Has anyone noticed this at all? I do think that the depo played a HUGE part in it for me though. Just wondering anyone's thoughts on this-Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-04-04, 11:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Low carbing is a recognized and prescribed treatment for PCOS whose symptoms include infertility and infrequent ovulation. LCing regulates the hormones and many people are successful in conceiving while on LC.

So LCing ought to help you with this "project". Sorry that I don't know anything about the effects of depoprovera or how long they might last. But I'd expect greater chance of conceiving while LCing. Be sure to take lots of B vitamins long before that (while you try) and perhaps go to a higher level without ketosis. Good luck.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-04-04, 15:52

Now all I have to do is get DH on board for having another one some time next year!!! I can only hope!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-07-04, 14:43

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 232.8/210/185 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 48%

I did see info on the news last week about high protein diets making conception difficult. You may find some recent research online.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-07-04, 16:15

Plan: Not low carbing anymore.
Stats: 184/152/140 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 73%

Hey Twinmomma~

I've been trying to get pregnant for almost a year now, and no luck. Only took 2 months for our first, so I was assuming it wouldn't take long this time either. I LC'd for the year prior to getting pregnant with DS, so I'm not so sure that LCing is the problem.

Are you trying again right now? Good luck!!!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-07-04, 16:34
SanePsychoSuprGodess

Stats: 205/191/115 Female 5' 1"
BF:46%/41%/20%
Progress: 16%

I am highly suspicious of that rodent study that apparently showed that mice have a more difficult time getting pregnant on a high-protein diet.

IMHO, I think the Inuit would have died out long ago if low-carb eating affected fertility negatively.

I also hope you have luck conceiving!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-08-04, 07:41

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 232.8/210/185 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 48%

Didnt know it was rats...sorry! I am not TTC so only got part of the story!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jul-25-04, 15:42

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 246/198/150 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

I've seen too many posts that say OMG Im pregnant-ie people who were practicing but not really trying to conceive to think that low carb affects fertility adversely. In fact if I had to worry about it(Im past that) I'd be even more careful with birth control.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-04, 08:39
SanePsychoSuprGodess

Stats: 205/191/115 Female 5' 1"
BF:46%/41%/20%
Progress: 16%

It makes me so mad how the media jumps on this type of mice/rat study and then extrapolates that to humans. They scare people for no good reason.

Lots of things show effects in rodents that don't affect humans the same way -- remember the promising leptin studies?

Maybe the lady mice got really bad ketosis breath and turned off the male mice. Did they give the mice gum? Well, we humans have gum so we will still have sex.... and therefore babies!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-04, 19:52

OH we aren't really trying right now-I just would love to have another baby in a year or so but I did have a hard time getting pregnant last time. Guess I wil have to wait and see!! Thanks for the input