Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-17-04, 08:47

Plan: RNY Gastric Bypass 2/1/10
Stats: 378/163/150 Female 5 ' 5"
BF:
Progress: 94%
Default Pregnancy and low carbing....question

I've recently become pg and have switched to my version of Atkin's maintenance. Yesterday was my first day and I increased my carb intake from around 30/day to around 100/day. I know it's important to stay out of ketosis for both me and baby. I also know that I should expect a weight gain at least at first. I am trying to do this the smart way and instead of adding things I really don't need like junk food....even though that's what I'd love to have right now!....LOL....I have decided that if I have to add carbs the smart thing to do would be to add milk products which is what I need anyways....I'm also adding an extra meal. Since beginning this journey back in January I have eaten only 2 meals a day, Breakfast and dinner....I have now added lunch. Yesterday with the addition of 3 glasses of milk, lunch and a fat free yogurt for night time snack I made it to 103 carbs....I didn't think I could do it but I did.

Anyways my question is after the intial water weight gain does it slow down? I went from 302.8 back up to 306.4!!! Very scary. I'v lost a total of 72.8 lbs since January and I have no intentions on gaining that back.....Can someone help me??? What do I have to do to maintain and just gain baby weight???? Any help is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-17-04, 09:43

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

You might want to aim for around 70 net carbs and increase it just a little slower if you can. 30 to 100 is a pretty big overnight jump. I would also try to spread your meals into 6 smaller meals a day. Keeping my carbs spread out semi evenly seems to help me with not only feeling better but my weight gain has been pretty low over the course of the past 27 weeks. I would definately say to keep a journal and use your fitday at first to help keep you on track until you get the feel for the new changes you are making. Just try to stick with the whole foods and use fruits for your sweet tooth when you can. I haven't added back milk but I have added back more things like cottage cheese and yogurt. Best of luck to you!

Jenn
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-17-04, 09:47

BF:

Thanks Jen....I'm not sure if I can eat 6x/day though....I have a pretty active life and I work evenings....But I will give it a try and see....I'm so afraid of being in ketosis because of the baby that was behind my jump to 100. I really should go get some strips I haven't used them before so it'll be an adventure....LOL
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-17-04, 09:53
Flutterby

Plan: All that make sense
Stats: 220/212/160 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 13%

Good idea about slowing down the carb up... and spacing out the meals a little bit more.. keep up exercise..like walking.. there really is no reason to gain 30-40 pounds with being pregnant.. I think I read that if you are underweight, yes.. that amount, if you are normal to overweight, then 15-25 pounds.. link

And why so much milk? For the vitamins? You can get that in a more healthy manner than upping and drinking so much dairy..

Quote:
Vitamin D sources: • Vitamin D is found in milk (fortified), cheese, whole eggs, liver, salmon, and fortified margarine. The skin can synthesize vitamin D if exposed to enough sunlight on a regular basis.

Great site for a table of calcium sources...
Very easy to read!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-17-04, 09:59

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

My kids and I go outside for 15 - 30 minutes every morning to blow bubbles and such for our vitamin D.. it's funny because now they come running in when it's morning to say, "it's vitamin D time!" LOL If you do keep a busy life.. packing a bag of veggies like broccoli, red pepper sticks, carrots to dip in ranch or a single size serving bag of almonds might be a good idea. Also sandwiches or sandwhich wraps that you can take with you might help also because they are something you can eat on the go. I can tell you the extra veggies will also do you a lot more good than the milk!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-17-04, 10:01
Flutterby

Plan: All that make sense
Stats: 220/212/160 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 13%

oh..ps.. dont forget to keep drinking WATER
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-17-04, 22:47

BF:

Thanks guys....I really am listening to all your advice.....I lowered my carbs back down to 80 and I'm gonna see how that goes.....I also cut out 2 glasses of milk and added more cheese. It turns out the milk is not agreeing with me....I will definitly check out that list of calcium rich foods. I also started a food diary to help me keep track of what I eat.

Dawn I added so much milk because I thought it was a quick way to up my carbs and it was something I needed anyway But like I said it is not agreeing with my tummy! Ughhhh

I drink tons of water!!!! No problem in that department....LOL

What I ate today

Breakfast: 2 eggs, bacon and milk

Lunch: Tuna and mayo in a low carb pita pocket....I love those things!!!

Snack: low fat yogurt, 2 oz of cheese

Dinner: 1/2 kielbasa with onions, garlic, and 1/3 lowcarb tomato sauce, large salad with romaine, tomatos, cheese, olives and bacon bits and 1/2 cup fresh fruit salad for desert

Snack: strawberries and cool whip

drank about 12 glasses of water today....I think I'm floating....LOL.....I don't feel as bloated as I did yesterday either!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-23-04, 21:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 184/151/128 Female 64"
BF:
Progress:

Good for you! Don't forget your folic acid.