Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Wed, May-11-05, 06:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 318/243.4/160 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:60%/41.85%/23%
Progress: 47%

ooohh! you can grind flax seeds in the coffee grinder??? Why didn't I think of that? I'm going to try that!

Thanks

Julie Huck (feeling kind of dim witted now LOL)
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Wed, May-11-05, 06:40

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 286/207/115 Female 5' 0"
BF:
Progress: 46%
Lightbulb

[QUOTE=Julie Huck]ooohh! you can grind flax seeds in the coffee grinder??? Why didn't I think of that? I'm going to try that!
QUOTE]

If you actually use your coffee grinder for coffee, it is best to get a new one that you can dedicate to flax (and other things).

Although I have been meaning to buy another coffee grinder for coffee, I rarely make coffee (only when we have guests that drink it). So, when I need to use my grinder for coffee, I grind some rice in the grinder and clean it out with a brush. The rice soaks up the oils and smells so that I can use the same grinder. However, if I were a coffee drinker and used my grinder a lot for coffee, I would go out immediately and buy another grinder because it is a bit of a hassle.

Just a tip in case you want to use the same grinder until you can get an additional one for your flax and herbs.

Phyllis
  #78   ^
Old Wed, May-11-05, 09:32
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaniels
So, I have a question. Has anyone tried baking this in an actual oven, rather than the microwave? I know that starts to become a whole lot more like cooking, and less like microwave magic, but I'm curious. Also, I've never used flax meal before- this was my first time. It seems like a too-good-to-be-true ingredient. All it's carbs come from fiber- so it's like, free? Can you eat too much of this stuff? Will it make you get tummy upset or some other bad thing? If it's a free carb, why aren't we putting it in everything?!!

I've actually been making coffee cakes using carbquik and almond meal lately and those get baked in the oven. This last one I made was fabulous!

Flax meal is very, very caloric. It's like 60 calories per tablespoon. I suspect it has a high oil content. I try to limit it to about 1-2 tablespoons. It also has a little bit of a bitter taste to it, kind of halfway nutty, halfway bitter. So if you use to much you might find it intrudes into the flavors too much.

But I do like the crumbly texture it gives to bowl muffins. It makes it more like a muffin and less like bread pudding.

Glad you enjoyed the Bowl Muffin technique!
  #79   ^
Old Wed, May-11-05, 16:04

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

Nancy, have you tried throwing in an egg and leaving out the baking powder? If you make it with one egg, 1/4 c almond meal,1-2 tablesp cocoa, vanilla DaVinci, Splenda to taste, and
then nuke for about 86 sec. It makes a wonderful chocolate brownie-like dessert.

I find the golden flax seeds to be a lot less bitter than the dark brown ones. Also it is important to grind them just before using them to get the benefit (high omega 3 source), but I wonder if that isn't lost by cooking anyway as we are told to NEVER use flax seed oil for cooking- just to take it straight. So it seems to me the benefit is then more in adding fiber, and as Nancy says, it makes for a fluffier end product if used with almond meal. BTW, the recipe done with egg also makes a good basis for a pancake..just add a bit of melted butter or cream to the batter.

Another consideration is to use ground hazelnuts rather than almonds, which I think has a better carb count?? (could be wrong here.)

Val
  #80   ^
Old Thu, May-12-05, 05:49

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 286/207/115 Female 5' 0"
BF:
Progress: 46%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I try to limit it to about 1-2 tablespoons. It also has a little bit of a bitter taste to it, kind of halfway nutty, halfway bitter. So if you use to much you might find it intrudes into the flavors too much.

Golden Flax has a much better taste than the black. I make a protien drink every morning using a heeping tablespoon of the ground golden flax (on only 8 oz of liquid) and I never have any hint of bitterness just a wonderfully nutty flavor.

If you are using pre-ground flax (which is probably the black flax), then the bitterness may be coming not only from the black seeds but also from the fact that the ground seeds may be going rancid. Once ground, they go rancid very quickly. This is the reason I choose to grind my own. If you do choose to use pre-ground flax, try to find a source that keeps it frozen or, at the very least, refrigerated. (Of course, who knows how long it has been from the time it was ground to the time it arrived at your vendor who put it in a freezer or refrigerator... it's always a "crap shoot" when you buy it pre-ground.)

Hope this helps,

Phyllis
  #81   ^
Old Fri, May-13-05, 19:18

Plan: Ketogenic LCHF
Stats: 240/157/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Bob's Red Mill sells an excellent Ground Golden Flax Seed. I think you can even order it from their website if your stores don't carry it.

Reminds me...I'm out and need to pick some up!
  #82   ^
Old Sat, May-14-05, 01:53
~strange as angels~

Stats: 256/249/150 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:51%/49%/30%
Progress: 7%

I wish there were a cake batter flavored DaVinci syrup... I'd love to make something that tastes like a pineapple upsidedown cake. Any ideas, anyone?
  #83   ^
Old Sat, May-14-05, 13:57
"Slaying My Demons"

Plan: Keto
Stats: 262.2/189.2/155 Female 5'8"
BF:Hell Yes!
Progress: 68%

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderdust
I wish there were a cake batter flavored DaVinci syrup... I'd love to make something that tastes like a pineapple upsidedown cake. Any ideas, anyone?

Wouldn't caramel flavored syrup work?
  #84   ^
Old Sat, May-14-05, 21:37

Plan: In Transition
Stats: 256/180/140 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 66%

DaVinci also has SF Cookie Dough and Maple Pancake syrup that might work well. In a pineapple cake, the pineapple syrup would be great too for flavor and sweetener.
  #85   ^
Old Sun, May-15-05, 00:08
~strange as angels~

Maybe if I mixed the pineapple and caramel syrups together... that might be closer to what I'm looking for.
  #86   ^
Old Sun, May-15-05, 10:01

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 20/08/00 Female 5'10"
BF:not/low/enough
Progress: 60%

I've tried these and like the taste. But the texture is almost like a flavored omelet. Is that what you all are getting? From your descriptions it doesn't sound like it. Help me perfect this, please.
  #87   ^
Old Sun, May-15-05, 10:37

Stats: 194/131/135 Female 63 inches
BF:Too/Much/Fluff!
Progress: 107%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8tivgrl
I've tried these and like the taste. But the texture is almost like a flavored omelet. Is that what you all are getting? From your descriptions it doesn't sound like it. Help me perfect this, please.

Which bowl muffin version have you been trying? I've only made superaunt's pancake bowl muffin version:

1/4 cup atkin bake mix
1/4 cup flax meal
1/2 cup mixture of sf vanilla syrup, heavy cream, water, sf maple syrup

...and it doesn't seem at all like an omelet texture to me . I've made it using Atkins bake mix and I also just made it using Carbquick (which I finally ordered and it came last night!) I make up half of my liquid mixture with heavy cream and the remainder with water and a just a little bit of the vanilla syrup and sf maple syrup.
  #88   ^
Old Sun, May-15-05, 15:30

Plan: Restarted LCHF 1/22/17
Stats: 288.8/160.2/135 Female 5' 1.5"
BF:66.1%/33.5%/24%
Progress: 84%

I make one that ends up like cinnamon bread, and is great served warm with some SF whipped cream.

I use:
1/2-1 egg
2 tbsp flax meal
2 tbsp almond meal
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp heavy cream
add water to make a batter if it needs it (i don't if i use a whole egg)
2 packets splenda

Nuke it for 2 minutes
  #89   ^
Old Mon, May-16-05, 02:19
~strange as angels~

Quote:

If you add the egg, it ends up closer to an omelet texture. What mixture are you using?
  #90   ^
Old Mon, May-16-05, 08:29
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:

What ingredients did you use?