Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Tue, Sep-06-11, 08:59
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182/182/112 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 0%

Okay then i will purchase some magnesium. And no i have still not been to the toilet!!

By the way did any of you read by fitday plan? I need to know were I am going wrong. Is it possible to be eating too much fat?

I honestly cannot see the point in continuing with Atkins, as i am seeing no changes. Maybe i do genuinely have something very wrong with me!

But thank you regardless ...
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Tue, Sep-06-11, 09:05
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollys121
Okay then i will purchase some magnesium. And no i have still not been to the toilet!!

By the way did any of you read by fitday plan? I need to know were I am going wrong. Is it possible to be eating too much fat?

I honestly cannot see the point in continuing with Atkins, as i am seeing no changes. Maybe i do genuinely have something very wrong with me!

But thank you regardless ...

Hi Molly,
Did you tell your mom yet, that you haven't had a BM is all these weeks?
This is not healthy and you should've done somehting about it by now...ie: an actual enema. This is not healthy for you at all.
Whether you are doing Atkins or any other plan, not moving your waste can be very dangerous!! I won't go into the details but trust me, you need to force the issue now.
Looking at your fitday won't help you now until you get this corrected.
Please....take good care!!
  #48   ^
Old Tue, Sep-06-11, 09:58

Plan: 160g animal protein/day
Stats: 185/167/165 Female 5'10
BF:35
Progress: 90%

I have to agree with Judynyc. Desperate times come for desperate measures. The most gentle thing for emergency situations like this one are glycerin suppositories. Then if that doesn't work, you could try either a stimulant laxative, enema, or a bottle magnesium citrate. I hear the magnesium citrate is pretty gross to drink, but whatever works.

As a precautionary measure, you should really start taking daily fiber supplements like Metamucil or Miralax (gentle non-stimulant). If you're not eating enough green vegetables, you could also try eating more of those.

I have had a problem like this before. It caused me to be sick to my stomach, my abdominal muscles felt like they were being cut into, and I was extremely moody... understandably.

I really hope you get this situation resolved soon.
  #49   ^
Old Tue, Sep-06-11, 13:50

Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

I know that you prefer to keep to induction carbs, but I strongly suggest again that you try raising your carbs a bit in the form of fibre rich vegetables. The induction carbs were making you feel awful and Dr. Atkins says in the book that if you have problems during induction, you should raise the carbs. If your weight starts to go up, or you get cravings, you can just drop them back again.

Good luck with getting your system moving. I got constipated on induction too, lol, but once my carbs were raised it resolved itself.

You're not eating too much fat. Oil can actually be great for constipation. I was constipated on induction recently, and I incidentally ate more oil than normal at one meal, and it made me "go".

http://www.health-benefits-of-olive...nstipation.html

Your calories are actually still quite low, which is another reason for raising your carbs a bit more, and having a bigger variety of fresh vegetables, which makes the diet more enjoyable and varied. Vary your protein sources too - oily fish is great. The more different foods you eat, the more nutrients you'll probably get. You could add more protein for calories/variety too - you're nowhere near a dangerous amount at the moment. We all do a slightly different version of Atkins, because we all have slightly different body chemistry, so it's worth making small adjustments until you hit on a winning formula.

Last edited by Kirsteen : Tue, Sep-06-11 at 14:07.
  #50   ^
Old Tue, Sep-06-11, 23:53
Registered Member

BF:

I am really concerned now. I read about magnesium citrate and apparently it is EXTREMELY strong and can give you adverse side affects. No i have not told my mum, and will not be telling my mum I would like to sort it out NOW however.

I researched glycerin suppositories and the idea of doing that is terrifying and I honestly do not know how i am going to get my hands on any. I am really scared, i read it can tear your bowel or something. I am at school as well so i cannot take these very severe ones!

Please, please, please help me what do i do!!! Have any of you tried anything that worked. Please what do i do!? Am i really in danger!?
  #51   ^
Old Tue, Sep-06-11, 23:57
Registered Member

BF:

Last edited by Mollys121 : Wed, Sep-07-11 at 01:21.
  #52   ^
Old Wed, Sep-07-11, 00:38
Registered Member

BF:

Right I have drunk 3 cups of black coffee. I am going to take the start of the day off school and buy and take some fleet enema. Will this product DEFINITELY work for me, providing i have been constipated for this long now? I am extremely desperate at this point, now knowing the health risks!
I really cannot go to the hospital or doctor, please appreciate this. So if fleet enema does not work, what else can i try. I AM DESPERATE!
  #53   ^
Old Wed, Sep-07-11, 01:48
Registered Member

BF:

Guys I am soo happy. After drinking two black coffee's i have been to the toilet. I didn't even need the fleet enema! Besides the place i was going to get it from opened at 9:00! Sorry if this is too much information but I do not feel as though i am COMPLETELY 'cleansed' so to speak, but I am out of the danger zone right?

Now that i have been, and believe me i was SO panicked, i would appreciate more then anything a fiber supplement that will work 100% as i do not want to experience this EVER again, i actually thought i was going to have to go to the hospital. THANK GOD FOR COFFEE ... I think it is also because i do not drink a lot of coffee usually so it got to work pretty quickly!

I am so relieved and would like to thank you so much for helping me (:

NOW I have some more GREAT news. I have lost weight! And not from going to the toilet, as i weighed myself before hand. I am now down to 75 kilo apparently, but can i just ask a question ... I genuinely cannot see a difference in my body, maybe i need to lose a lot more before i notice a difference? Have any of you experienced this? Have i lost water weight in my 5-6th week!

Also with your years and years worth of experience with Atkins, would any of you be able to predict a time i should be able to shed all of my weight (down to my ideal size?) This is providing i stick rigorously to Atkins, which i will do i promise. x
  #54   ^
Old Wed, Sep-07-11, 03:37

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

I am glad you have managed to get some relief, Molly!

I would suggest moving to OWL and increasing the amount of veggies you are eating to avoid the problem in the future.

Another thing many people use is psyllium husk, bran or ground flax (linseeds) which you can either sprinkle over salads or use to bake little buns or muffins.

If you do decide to go the extra fibre route start by only adding about a tablespoonsworth rather than add a lot at once as it can have the opposite effect and clog you up more if you do not drink plenty of water!!
  #55   ^
Old Wed, Sep-07-11, 07:55
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollys121
Guys I am soo happy. After drinking two black coffee's i have been to the toilet. I didn't even need the fleet enema! Besides the place i was going to get it from opened at 9:00! Sorry if this is too much information but I do not feel as though i am COMPLETELY 'cleansed' so to speak, but I am out of the danger zone right?
I'm very happy to know that you've got things moving finally, Molly! Yes, it'll take your body another couple of days to get all cleaned out but at least your on your way now.

Quote:
Now that i have been, and believe me i was SO panicked, i would appreciate more then anything a fiber supplement that will work 100% as i do not want to experience this EVER again, i actually thought i was going to have to go to the hospital. THANK GOD FOR COFFEE ... I think it is also because i do not drink a lot of coffee usually so it got to work pretty quickly!
Yes....you were right to be panicked as you could've perforated your bowel and that is very dangerous.

Quote:
NOW I have some more GREAT news. I have lost weight! And not from going to the toilet, as i weighed myself before hand. I am now down to 75 kilo apparently, but can i just ask a question ... I genuinely cannot see a difference in my body, maybe i need to lose a lot more before i notice a difference? Have any of you experienced this? Have i lost water weight in my 5-6th week!
Congrats on your weight loss! I'm sure that once you get rid of the rest of the waste, you'll see and feel a big difference. Also, when you get closer to 150, you will really see a big difference.

Quote:
Also with your years and years worth of experience with Atkins, would any of you be able to predict a time i should be able to shed all of my weight (down to my ideal size?) This is providing i stick rigorously to Atkins, which i will do i promise. x

While we are all different, a general rule of thumb is that we can lose 1-2 lbs a week. You can do the math on how long it'll take you to get there....and at the same time, please know that we don't lose weight every week and soem weeks we stay the same, some weeks we may see gain...but when we are trending downward, its all good.
Why did you pick 112 lbs as your goal weight?
  #56   ^
Old Wed, Sep-07-11, 09:06

Plan: Atkins- leaning Paleo
Stats: 182/154/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Molly, I have a tea in my cupboard called "Smooth Move", in case I need a bit of extra "help". I do not know, however, if it is available in UK. It is made with Senna, which is a laxative.

I also have sugar free fiber, made from apple pectin and psyllium husk. When I take it (rarely) I make sure to drink at least two or three extra glasses of water.

I find that my two morning coffees and my lovely coconut oil almost always do "the trick".
  #57   ^
Old Wed, Sep-07-11, 09:15

Plan: LC and PH now and then.
Stats: 176.5/153/140 Female 60 ins
BF:
Progress: 64%

I suggest you go to Boot's the chemist and ask for an old herbal remedy... get that, not a laxative... a remedy. much, much milder, gentle dose... even Beachams's pills are quite gentle... until you get in to normal routine, and then you shouldn't need any help. Drink more water and take your mag.... Don't leave it so long next time...
  #58   ^
Old Wed, Sep-07-11, 10:36

Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

Hey there, congrats! I'm glad you've seen the first results.

As far as magnesium goes, it is an essential mineral and it helps you lose weight. It's one of the supplements which Dr. Atkins suggests to aid weight loss, but as you say, some supplement sources are better than others. Dietary sources are green leafy vegetables, including spinach, broccoli, so raising your carbs a bit to increase your consumption of those will will give you magnesium and more fibre.

See here for a table with more sources of magnesium:

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?...utrient&dbid=75

Dr. Atkins diet book says that you should raise your carbs in small steps after the 2-week induction period, and the reason the diet is famous is because it works.. So do what he suggests and start raising your carbs. You don't want your body adjusting to ultra-low carbs, because you'll then be stuck with a very restrictive diet in order to maintain your weight, and if you hit a plateau, there won't be much left to cut out.

There is no advantage to staying at induction levels unless your blood sugar balance is so dreadful that it goes out of kilter with the slightest carb overload. You have not had a lifetime of abusing food and you are not significantly overweight, so unless you have some sort of familial link to some health issue like diabetes, it is highly unlikely that a higher carb diet will make any difference to the diet, and it is likely to do you a lot of good.

Lower carb will not make you lose weight quicker. Your body can only burn a certain amount of fat, and better, healthier eating habits are more important than fast weight loss.

Please take the advice given by ElizEllen and me and start with the OWL stage of the diet, as in the book. Give Dr. Atkins' diet a try.

Last edited by Kirsteen : Wed, Sep-07-11 at 10:50.
  #59   ^
Old Thu, Sep-08-11, 00:31

Plan: 160g animal protein/day
Stats: 185/167/165 Female 5'10
BF:35
Progress: 90%

I'm glad you finally went to the bathroom, that's great news.

Now you need to either up the vegetable intake and/or start taking metamucil 2 or 3 times per day. The metamucil dosages need to be spread out throughout the day or (TMI I know) you'll just have a bunch of water in your colon. Happened to me when I overdid it on the psyllium. You really need to be proactive about BMs.

As for the coffee... if you're only drinking coffee to go to the bathroom, don't make coffee a regular habit. I am ADDICTED to coffee. Anyone asks me to quit coffee now and I practically growl at them as a response. If you start coffee, you'll never stop.
  #60   ^
Old Thu, Sep-08-11, 10:50

Plan: Keto
Stats: 279/206/200 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 92%

"I am ADDICTED to coffee."

^^^