Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Plan comparison
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 18:33

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 229/185/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 59%
Default The FAT FLUSH PLAN Gittleman

"The Fat Flush Plan " author: Anne Louise Gittleman

The book titled 'The Fat Flush Plan' was published in 2002 but the first fat flush eating plan made its debut in her book 'Beyond Pritkin released in 1988.

Emphasis is not given solely to controlling insulin production but to "Five Hidden Weight Gain Factors" being
* Liver toxicity
* Waterlogged tissues
* Fear of eating fat
* Excess insulin
* Stress fat

The plan has three set guidelines
Phase 1: The two week Fat Flush
Phase 2: Ongoing fat Flush
Phase 3: The lifestyle eating plan

Phase 1 is the 'toughest' stage of the program and has been labled 'bootcamp'. It is first and foremost a cleansing program to facilitate weight loss by giving the liver support and nourishment.

Phase 2 is designed for ongoing weight loss with a bit more variety in food choices adding back a 'friendly' carb each week to check for adverse reaction to it.

Phase 3 is really the fat flush maintance program providing a lifelong eating program aimed at increasing your vitality and well-being for life. Now 2 dairy products can be reintroduced and a variety of starchier veggies and nongluten grains. Once again new foods are added back one at a time to gauge your bodies reaction. Once on this stage of the program you will likely find your daily percentages work out at the ratio 40:30:30

The FFP is made up of whole natural foods eaten without salt.
Cut out are trans fats, caffine, diet sodas, alcohol, aspartame, sugar, yeast relalted vinegars (except apple cider vinegar), all grains and cereals, starchy vegetables, in the first phases dairy products (except whey) are also cut.

Flaxseed oil (2 tlbs) and essential fatty acid supplement are to be taken daily.
1 cup of unsweetened Cranberry juice is to be watered down to make up 64 oz and taken throughout the day.
First thing upon waking and last thing at night you have a teaspoon of psyllium husks in a glass of the 'cran-water' dubbed the 'Long life cocktail'.
Lemon juice in morning in hot water.
Lean Protein up to 8oz a day.
Eggs up to 2 a day.
Vegetables unlimited from a choice of non starchy low GI selection.
Fruit up to 2 a day from the low GI and carb, eg; 1/2 grapefruit or 1 c berries equals one choice.

A Day on Phase 1: The 2-Week Fat Flush Plan

Try this sample menu:

On arising:
Long Life Cocktail

Before breakfast:
8 ounces hot water with lemon juice

Breakfast:
Veggie scramble: 2 scrambled eggs with spinach, green peppers, scallions and parsley, and one 8-ounce glass of cran-water

Midmorning snack:
1/2 large grapefruit

20 minutes before lunch:
One 8-ounce glass of cran-water

Lunch:
4 ounces of salmon with lemon and garlic, warm asparagus, mixed-green salad with broccoli florets and cucumber, 1 tablespoon flaxseed oil, and one 8-ounce glass of cran-water

Midafternoon:
Two 8-ounce glasses of cran-water

4pm snack:
1 apple

20 minutes before dinner:
One 8-ounce glass cran-water

Dinner:
4 ounces of grilled lamb chop with a pinch of cinnamon and a dash of dried mustard, sautéed kale in broth, baked summer squash with a touch of cloves, and 1 tablespoon flaxseed oil

Midevening:
Long Life Cocktail

How to Use This Menu:
You can use this example as a basic menu guide. Just substitute foods from the same food groups for daily variety. Besides the daily diet, take GLA supplements, and a balanced multivitamin/mineral. You can change the fluid intake to suit your schedule if that is more convenient, of course.

Important Reminder :
No herbs or spices except for those fat flushing herbs and spices outlined in The Fat Flush Plan
No margarine
No alcohol
No sugar
No oils or fats except those in the flaxseed oil
No grains, bread, cereal or starchy vegetables such as beans, potatoes, corn, parsnips, carrots, peas, pumpkin, or acorn or butternut squash
No dairy products

Anne Louise Biography
Even if nutrition wasn't your thing, just a quick peek at some of Ann Louise Gittleman's achievements would demonstrate that she is in a league of her own:

Yet the true measure of Ann Louise Gittleman isn't in her number of books sold or her many awards and accolades. It's in her compassion and sincerity to clean up America from the inside out on all fronts - weight loss, detoxification, beauty and the environment.

Anyone who does know the health scene at all over the past two decades knows that Ann Louise is one of the most respected, dynamic, and accomplished "celebrity" nutritionists America has ever produced. As a writer, consultant, talk show host and spokesperson, Ann Louise has imprinted her distinctive message on everything she does.

Many of her books have become classics because of her prophetic insights. Ann Louise was the first nutritionist in the country to sound the alarm on the fat free, high carb diet craze in her landmark book BEYOND PRITIKIN in 1988. In 1993, Ann Louise's GUESS WHAT CAME TO DINNER was the first book of its kind to expose the parasite epidemic. That same year, Ann Louise brought menopause out of the closet with her SUPER NUTRITION FOR MENOPAUSE which was another first, offering natural remedies for mid life symptoms. In 1996 her revolutionary YOUR BODY KNOWS BEST introduced the concept of individualizing diet based upon ancestry, genetic heritage and blood type - and was featured in Newsweek and CNN. In 1998, Ann Louise introduced Americans to the new term "perimenopause" in her bestseller BEFORE THE CHANGE and Ann Louise talked about perimenopause on national television shows including Good Morning America. In 2000, her book LIVING BEAUTY presented the missing link to both health and beauty - internal cleansing.

Throughout her career, Ann Louise's articles, insights, and books have enlightened the public on a variety of health-related topics. Countless magazines and newspapers have quoted Ann Louise or featured her work including Cosmopolitan, Publisher's Weekly, Harper's Bazaar, Seventeen, Family Circle, Runner's World, Parade, Fitness, The New York Times, The Los Angeles Times, The San Francisco Chronicle, and the Hartford Courant. She has appeared on Fox News Live and MSNBC's Home Page.

After 20 years in the spotlight, Ann Louise is still at the top of her profession and still writing the most timely and edgy books on the market. Her latest - THE FAT FLUSH PLAN - is an outgrowth of all her previous body of works and promises to be the best selling diet book of 2002.

Why are Ann Louise Gittleman and her books still so successful when other people and their books have come and gone? The answer may be that she really cares about the public and has an uncanny ability to pinpoint major health concerns and provide solutions years ahead of anybody else. Then she takes these ideas, backed by the best-written proposals in the business, to the top publishers. That's it. Visionary books that feature cutting edge contemporary topics. It's like the winning formula adopted by Ann Louise's highly esteemed mentors and associates like the late Nathan Pritikin, Hazel Parcells, Robert Atkins and Barry Sears.

A world-renowned lecturer, Ann Louise sits on the medical and editorial advisory boards of the American Menopause Foundation, the Health Sciences Institute, the Price Pottenger Foundation, and Taste for Life Magazine.

In essence, "Ann Louise Gittleman's enormous contributions to the state of healthcare in America are as sound as they are daring, which makes for a true leader in any field of endeavor." Her aim in the new millennium is to do just that - deliver health, healing and hope throughout the world.

Link to the Fat Flush Plan FAQ

Last edited by Bloom : Wed, Jun-05-02 at 23:23.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 23:08

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 229/185/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 59%

On a personal note I have been following FFP for the past 2 weeks although not perfectly.
I have lost 7 pounds. Having the fruit has been nice and I'm glad to have broken what was fast becoming an obsession with dairy.
I liked the way the book addressed so many different aspects of ones health and how it relates to weight.
I think much of it is more pertinent to women especially those over 30.
If anyone has read "The Liver Cleansing diet" by Sandra Cabot well I've found the last 2 weeks of FFP to be like a cross between that and Protein Power.
As I had family issues in the last fortnight I'm not sure if my difficulty staying to the program was because of the addition of the fruit or emotional/stress stuff? Whatever its more carbs I've been struggling with as the time has rolled on.
I want to give it 100% this week on Phase one but will then rethink as I wont be ready to add back anymore carbs and Phase one is not what Id be up for long term. Too Tuff and not what its intended for.
Bootcamp is a good name for it.

p.s. The above link to the FAQ was up the creek. I have now corrected it.

Last edited by Bloom : Wed, Jun-05-02 at 23:27.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-02, 11:35
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Thanks for the summary Jenny!

I also noticed that the book mainly adresses women. While the book doesn't say so, the flow of hormones discussion gave me that impression, just like you said.

I also want to point out that the plan focuses (or one of the focuses) on water retention, and the initial 2 weeks cause water-weight-loss, due to the diuretic effects of the cran water and herbs used. Nothing wrong with that as excess body water/retention and bloating isn't healthy.

I followed the guidlines for a week and did not lose any weight. But this may be due to men not having as much water retained as women do, and due to the fact I always drink lots of water 4-6L/day, which prevents water retention. But I did notice an improvement in "regularity"

Wa'il
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-02, 11:54
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

I was actually just now browsing the info. at iVillage.com about the FFP, and one of the questions there addressed the suitability of the plan for men. Ms Gittleman replied that men will require more friendly carbs, and higher protein amounts. The complete response is here.

I'm going to (try to) get my own copy of the book today But, from the reviews I'm reading, not only does the flush address women's water retention issues, but also fatty acid and protein deficiencies. So many women have been slavishly eating lowFAT foods for decades, fake ultra-light dressings, fat-free dairy, fatless meats ... and only tiny amounts of those. Our cells are holding onto the water while at the same time crying out for FAT.

Thanks for the great review Jenny I'm looking forward to reading the book.

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-10-02, 12:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 239/200/154
BF:
Progress: 46%
Default FFP

I started this plan on the 15th July. I am 70 years old and had been low fat dieting on and off for years. The main reason I chose the plan over others was that it addresses water retention(I had very badly swollen legs).

It has been nothing short of a miracle. I have now lost 16lbs -as of 10th August) and I plan to continue until my BMI is about 24. It is currently 32.

As I live in the UK I kept to the list of permitted foods but NOT the recipes as they were not really to my taste.

I cannot recommend this plan highly enough. It is giving me my life back.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-03, 21:20

Plan: Weight Watchers (1/2008)
Stats: 264/214/185 Female 5' 9½"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I started the FFP today.

Would love to hear from others using this plan.

Menu ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I am doing it more for the loss of inches.

My sister did it for 2 wks and lost 8 pounds and 10 inches.
(2 1/2" bust, 2" off waist, 2 1/2" off hips, and 2" off each thigh.)

Hope we see more posters, and maybe even a section just for FAT FLUSHers.

Char
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 12:06

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 257/239/220 Female 5ft. 7 1/2in.
BF:
Progress: 49%

Thanks for this info--think I really need to read about this. Alice
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 12:56
"Natural Mystic"

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Anyone else tried this? What were your results?

red
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Aug-15-04, 11:21
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Yep - I've done it a couple of times. It worked really nicely for me. I did it because I'm a moderate drinker and wanted to give my poor liver a break after an all-inclusive Christmas holiday that involved more than a little cheating and much rum. I ended up losing all of my holiday weight gain in less than two weeks. I also felt great; it was like being on LC for the first time again.

FFP isn't a lot of fun. The increase in carbs is enough to make you crave them again, unless you're really careful. I recommend having only berries as the fruit portions. I also drank the cranwater gradually throughout the day and watered it down quite a bit. Even on about 50-60 g carbs per day, I was in ketosis most of the time.

Another change I made to the plan was having more protein. Following the plan to the letter, I was only getting about 1200 calories a day. Since I cut out the carbs from sugary fruit, I was more generous with the protein and fat portions.

I recommend this plan, but only for a 'cleansing' period, and only if you don't mind some calorie counting and hunger for a while.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Sep-10-04, 13:46

Plan: Fat Flush Plan
Stats: 233/146/150 Female 5ft 8inches
BF:22%
Progress: 105%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
I recommend this plan, but only for a 'cleansing' period, and only if you don't mind some calorie counting and hunger for a while.

I hate to do this, Kristine, but I hafta disagree with you. I've been following the Fat Flush Plan for just over a year and half, attained goal weight after about 6 months (flushed 57 pounds and over 23 inches!).
I strongly recommend the FFP as a WOL.

1) You never count calories/carbs/points on the FFP. (I'm math-impaired!)
2) In the liver-cleaning phase (min. of 2 weeks, max of 4), the P1 veggies are unlimited and adding a couple oz lean cooked protein to the 8oz base is A-ok. How can you be hungry when you may eat an entire spaghetti squash with marinara? Or a whole head of cabbage (if that's what floats yer boat!)? Eating some protein with each meal/snack is also a good way to keep the cravings under control. P1 has a couple goals including cleaning out and supporting the liver (the body's main fat processing organ) and speeding up the metabolism.
3) The FFP follows a low-glycemic food strategy as mechanism for controling blood sugar (along with eating every 2-3 hours) and cravings.
4) Eliminating the major food allergy groups (wheat/sugar/dairy/yeast/soy) during P1 & 2 helps many MANY (including ME) identify heretofore hidden food sensitivities. Turns out I am mildly dairy intolerant (YIKIES!).
5) Phase 2 - the long term weight loss phase - starts the process of adding back deferred foods (low glycemic carbs such as sweet potato and sprouted grain bread) in a way that helps you learn what your BODY needs/wants (vs what YOU want. LOL - just because YOU crave something doesn't - ipso facto - make it GOOD for you! Tough lesson to learn - that!)
6) Phase 3 is wonderful! Most of my deferred faves are now back on the menu but in healthier forms - brown rice instead of white, high quality chocolate (instead of that hersheys stuff that has next to no real chocolate in it), whole grain pasta is back, unsulfited wine, pizza is even back....ok, you get the idea.

It's true, I'm a FFP poster child! I've tried and failed at all too many previous diets and this is the one that not only helped me become slim again (I mean - I'm wearing size 6!! ME!! 5'8" and 146 in a size 6!!), but flushed ALL my cellulite, and showed me a plan for a long healthy life. What's not to like?

No one plan will work with all people. But the Fat Flush Plan comes closest, IMVVHO (in my veddy VEDDY humble opinion). I used to be queen of cellulite. Now I'm queen of slender.
Life is good.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Sep-10-04, 14:29

Plan: homeopathic HCG, loading
Stats: 246/230.5/154 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 17%

I tried soooo many diets before FFP! Nothing worked for me. I tried Atkins, too, but I was horribly constipated despite the lots and lots water and additional fiber... and after 2 weeks I was always nauseasous. Not for me.

However, with the FFP I started losing weight right away, and also from my thighs and hips, which I had NEVER been able to slim down with any diet - in fact, they were only egtting bigger and bigger with each diet I tried, like the rest of my body

Anyway, FFP handled also my sugar cravings... me, the Queen of Sweet tooth... but the I had some family issues and I fell off the wagon I've been working on getting back on competely, cheating occasionally (between yeast and emotional issues, it can be hard to stay sugar free in The Great Land of Cheese and Chocolate! ). Anyway, I'm definitely a FF believer.

I, like Charli, found out about a dairy intolerance thanks to FFP - no wonder didn't do well on Atkins! No wonder I gained so much weight since I've been living in Switzerland! Boy did I push my DUH button a few times

Re carbs, if you get cravings you should stay off that specific thing. ALG instructs you to journal your reactions to new foods very carefully and especially when enetering P2 and P3, if you get cravings fromnew carbs, stay off them! For instance, some people got cravings from eating a slice of Ezekiel bread, but not from a sweet potato. Everyone is different. And everyone should definitely do what feels bets for them and listen to their own body. I think that's the greatest thing FFP helped me achieve: I can listen to my body now, I really know what's going on and I can spot things much better. As Charli said, what's not to like? I'm not yet at my goal weight, but I'm sure the FFP is the best way for me to get there
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-17-05, 10:33

Plan: sugar busters/atkins
Stats: 149/149/105 Female 5'0"
BF:
Progress:

I am interested in FF but have some questions I am hoping ya'll can help with.
I am hypothyroid and taking estrogen (surgical menopause). Flax is an iffy food for hypos, psyllium can conflict with thyroid meds and grapefruit conflicts with estrogen......can you do the diet without these? Natural cranberry juice and water is one of my favorite drinks already.
If I am understanding the boot camp right these are pretty integral to the success of the plan.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Mar-17-05, 20:08

Plan: Fat Flush Plan
Stats: 233/146/150 Female 5ft 8inches
BF:22%
Progress: 105%

Hi annie-

You can inactivate the glycosides in flaxseed by toasting the seed. Voila! Safe for hypothyroid folks. Grapefruit is only ONE of many P1 legal fruit. You don't hafta have a grapefruit it you don't want.

Many hypothyroid folks have done veddy VEDDY well on the FFP. I recommend it! (you KNEW I would, right?)
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Mar-18-05, 08:48

Plan: sugar busters/atkins
Stats: 149/149/105 Female 5'0"
BF:
Progress:

thanks for replying!! you have had great success with FF WOW!!! congrats.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Feb-25-06, 18:00

Plan: atkins/sbd
Stats: 152/143.6/120 Female 5' 6"
BF:24/24/18
Progress: 26%
Question getting started

Hello everyone,
A friend and I are trying to get started on the Fat Flush Plan and I have a few questions. I know there is a sample menu but what else can a person eat on the two week - phase I period? I have the cran water and have been drinking it and eating veggie omlets, salads, fish, and chicken but am not sure I am cooking my food according to the diet. What is and is not allowed in my salad? Unfortunatly, I don't have the book yet and am going by what I am finding online. This afternoon, I got shakey and had hot flashes and I knew my blood sugar level had dropped. I grabbed a banana and two triscuits (i know triscuits are off limits) and gobbled it down. I felt better immediatly. Can any one help me understand this diet and if it's ok for someone whose blood sugar is sensitive? I am hoping to borrow the book from the library but it will take two weeks to get it. I'll have to go to the book store and plunk down the dollars for it. How much is this book anyway? Thanks for all the information!
P.S. Sorry for the typos.