Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-12-19, 18:58

Plan: Dr Ted Naiman + IF
Stats: 320/158/140 Female 5'10" age 56
BF:
Progress: 90%
Default Amazing Low Carb Dr. Ted Naiman Interviews

Dr. Ted Naiman, primary care physician in Seattle (Issaquah) originally put me on a low carbohydrate diet back somewhere around 2004 and helped me to lose a lot of weight and reverse diabetes. He has FINALLY written a book thePEdiet.com and a couple of interviews have been released so far.

I highly recommend checking these out! Dr. Naiman goes over how to optimize health and crystallizes where some of us even in the paleo/keto world are missing some low hanging fruit! I have to admit I've heard him make these pointers with me, but between being in a 15 minute appointment and not wanting to come out of my comfort zone, I just didn't take it all to heart, and I wish I had now because I only got to about 1/3 the way where I need to be weight-wise.

I highly recommend listening in. I really believe it could change your life.

Please note - I noticed some people think he is talking about PSMF. He isn't. He is talking about eating things like steak, burgers, eggs, seafood - the good stuff!!

1) Shorter interview:

Via Burn Fat Not Sugar - Dr. Ted Naiman Interview on Siim Land Body Mind Empowerment (on YouTube) called "Protein to Energy Diet for Fat Loss with Dr. Ted Naiman."

2) Longer interview:

Peak Human Podcast by Brian Sanders (where ever/whatever app you use to get your podcasts - I just used my iPhone), called, "Dr. Ted Naiman on Weight Loss, Health, and Fitness SOLVED: The P:E: Diet"

Check it out!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-12-19, 21:39

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:

I discovered this diet a couple of months ago and it got rid of the ten pounds I'd regained and couldn't get rid of any further using low carb high fat. I ate a lot of protein foods, very low carb (normal for me) and seriously reduced fat. It seemed weird buying (gasp!) no fat yogurt, but the diet worked when just low carb didn't. Key was to force my body to burn its own fat by not giving it as much as it needed. Now I've gone back to adding more fat because my body seems to be asking for that, although less than I used to eat.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-12-19, 22:00

BF:

That is awesome! I love when a tweak works and that makes perfect sense!

I think the most fascinating thing I have learned is that Dr. Naiman is saying that high intensity exercise takes only a few minutes to empty the body's glycogen stores, which is what people are trying to do when they are fasting.

So, you can sit around fasting all day, or you can do a few minutes of intensive exercises. He demonstrates these all the time, doing things like push ups, pull ups, and squats to failure (until you can't do more).

I've been doing these (I can't do a pull up, but I use the bars on my vibration plate to pull myself up from sitting), and push ups on the couch, and squats holding onto the banister. It really makes a difference! I am seeing my weight loss pick up, even though I am doing baby versions of these exercises (I'm having a shoulder issue, but I have found I can do these).

Thanks for commenting!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-13-19, 08:09

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Naiman has a very sound and rational approach to healthy eating. Do you have links to these?
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-13-19, 11:54

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones
I think the most fascinating thing I have learned is that Dr. Naiman is saying that high intensity exercise takes only a few minutes to empty the body's glycogen stores, which is what people are trying to do when they are fasting.

So, you can sit around fasting all day, or you can do a few minutes of intensive exercises.

Fascinating. I took up ketogenic for health reasons, and it's working. It also put me at a healthy weight and one which I have never weighed as an adult.

Simple isometric exercises sound like the best way to get back into shape for me, then.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-13-19, 11:59

BF:

Sure!

Here are links:

1) Shorter interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4ikTXNWX50

Via Burn Fat Not Sugar - Dr. Ted Naiman Interview on Siim Land Body Mind Empowerment (on YouTube) called "Protein to Energy Diet for Fat Loss with Dr. Ted Naiman."

2) Longer interview:

Peak Human Podcast by Brian Sanders (where ever/whatever app you use to get your podcasts - I just used my iPhone), called, "Dr. Ted Naiman on Weight Loss, Health, and Fitness SOLVED: The P:E: Diet"

Go to #60, near the top.

https://peakhuman.libsyn.com/

3) Dr. Ted Naiman's website:

https://burnfatnotsugar.com/ (check out his videos!)

4) Dr. Ted Naiman's book:

https://www.thepediet.com/

5) Sample demo of exercises for beginners on Diet Doctor (one of my favorites!!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c57p605PDZc

6) Be sure to find him on Twitter! Ted Naiman

(there is a lightening bolt between "Ted" and "Naiman"

Thanks for commenting!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Nov-13-19, 12:59

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

This is the best explanation of how insulin resistance effects us and how the rise and fall of insulin stores the carbs as fat!
I loved his graph!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzcOz38FjaU
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Nov-13-19, 14:02

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
This is the best explanation of how insulin resistance effects us and how the rise and fall of insulin stores the carbs as fat!
I loved his graph!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzcOz38FjaU

Yes!!

That is the first video by Dr. Naiman that I discovered on Burn Fat Not Sugar! I totally love this, and I used to post it to the old (now deleted) low carb friends forum!

Thanks for posting!!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Nov-13-19, 16:21

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

ok, learning something new.

Regular exercise is nit helpful, but work out to use up sugar stored in muscle cells speeds weight loss? THAT makes sense.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Nov-13-19, 17:22

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
ok, learning something new.

Regular exercise is nit helpful, but work out to use up sugar stored in muscle cells speeds weight loss? THAT makes sense.

Oh, Dr. Naiman is all about exercise! Of course, he is an advocate of improving strength, stamina, and cardiovascular fitness, which are kind of obvious, but his larger message is that there are metabolic effects that are so beneficial! I think he has a point when he says that so many are able to reverse diabetes and stay under the radar with low carb but aren't able to achieve optimal health without exercise (and the daily feeding windows).

Increasing metabolic rate
Improvement in glucose metabolism
Increase in fat oxidation

Here is a pretty amazing message:

FAT EXITS THE BODY VIA MITOCHONDRIA

TRAINING DOUBLES THE MITOCHONDRIA

It comes with infographics to send home the message. That one stopped me in my tracks when I first saw it. I think it was on Twitter.

Another message he has, that I think is huge, is that people tend not to exercise because they don't have time. He also looks at how much time that takes, and then is super sad because the exercise done there is pretty much not that effective...he is all about exercising 15 minutes per day, the right way, for maximum effectiveness (intensive exercise) using only your own body weight without having to go to a gym!

He really is crystalizing what exactly to do for maximum effectiveness!

Thank you so much for commenting
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Nov-13-19, 20:19

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Thanks for the links, Key Tones.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Nov-14-19, 22:49

Plan: DDF, P:E
Stats: 237.5/179.4/150 Female 64
BF:55.7%/47.5%/?
Progress: 66%

I've watched some of his videos and just bought the PDF version of his book. I need the exercise piece and hope that doing the 15 mins a day will help me.

Thanks for the post.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Nov-14-19, 23:13

BF:

Iceberg - that is really super! Thank you so much for your reply, and I do wish you the best of health!

GRB5111- you are very welcome! Thank you for commenting