Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-08, 16:05
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default This, That and PP Chat for March '08

Can you believe we're already in March? What the heck happened to February??? I have a TWO MONTH OLD baby now...and a bigger waistline than I'd hoped.

So I finally posted my "revised before" pictures and it was SO difficult. I was so depressed, but it's all part of acceptin and being accountable. So here I am at the same weight when I started my weight loss journey 2 1/2 years ago. Talk about "starting over"! But at least this time I have the tools waiting for me.

I've decided to go HF style because I was very successful with that before and because I need food that will do the "slow burn" and hold me for a LONG time. Trying to care for my mom and my son while maintaining the house and keeping up with business responsibilities means little chance for eating. (During his naps, which are still sporadic and uncertain I always have to choose literally 1-2 things to get done...and unfortunately biz communication often wins out! Though Ian has been in a Baby Bjorn while I've cooked myself an omelet - Mommy's GOT to eat!) It's a bit like Larry's approach to morning meal...lots of fat and good protein and it'll hold you most of the day.

I see we have some new folks in the PP section and also previous PPers coming back as well as keeping tabs and answering questions (those that have been doing this twice as long as I've even known about it!). It's really good to have the support. Wish me luck and I'll try to keep checking in as often as my schedule will allow!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-08, 16:18

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

No, it can't possibly be March yet, and you're supposed to have a 1 week old baby!

My son was really funny on the 29th. When I told him it was Leap Day, he decided he had to leap at least once that day. Then he decided to leap 29 times since it was the 29th of Feb. Then he wanted to get 28 other "friends" to also leap 29 times each. We made about 4 stuffed animals leap 29 times, but then he had to get to school and he forgot all about the counting by the time he came home.

With his inspiration, I leaped once. That was enough for my old body!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-08, 17:59
Taking MY Turn

BF:

That's HYSTERICAL! I love how literal children are - such fun! Good for you for leaping. I supposed I was inclined to tell someone to take a "flying leap" but that's about it. <smirk>
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-08, 15:04

Plan: Protein Power/Paleo
Stats: 188.5/169.5/145 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:way/too/much!
Progress: 44%

I didn't even think about leaping on leap day. Neither did my 6 yo DD! Maybe I'll make up for it and leap 29 times today---since I haven't done my workout and Dr. Mike would totally approve of leaping as an exercise!

I'm doing the high fat thing myself. Plugging everything into fitday as faithfully as possible. I know it's unreasonable to lose a lb. a day, but I'd sure like to for at least 2 weeks! I'm getting ready to make myself a protein shake with lots of coconut oil in it!

Lisa, great job on posting the pics of yourself. And your little guy is adorable! Even though I'm still basically at my postpartum weight, the good news is that LC has changed my shape so I'm no longer so apple-y. I'm sure it's hard taking care of Mom and Ian at the same time, but maybe not much different than 2 children. She's lucky to have you!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-08, 16:55
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Sara, I am updating Fitday faithfully again. I think having a weekly weigh-in only helps. I also took my measurements because your point about body SHAPE is well taken. I would definitely say that from LCing and exercising like I did that - even with the effects of pregnancy - my shape is still much different than when I started (even though both numbers are the same).

Thanks for the compliments on my wee one! I'm biased but I do this he's super cute. And yeah, I'm trying so hard not to whine, but I am very challenged to take care of Mom and Ian. It's a little bit like two children...in some ways better, some worse. With Mom it's like having a child that can manage to get breakfast on her own, dress herself (but needs help bathing, for safety's sake as well as confusion) and entertain herself, and is willing and desirous to do simple tasks around the house as long as you supervise. So all that is good. But she also has bills to pay, medicine to keep track of, doctor's appointments to oversee, taxes to prepare and a house to sell and other administrative things as well as some chauffering (I'm trying to promote her social life so she goes to the senior center a good bit). So...maybe like a college student living at home? <chuckle> I dunno. The senior category is an interesting one! We are lucky to have each other. That woman sacrificed more than I could describe over the years to ensure I had a good life. It's my turn to care for her. It's difficult to be sure, but I'd have it no other way.

It's especially unique to be in this position with my Mom AND have a newborn, though. I think it might be why we'll only have one child, but that's another topic for another day and another thread!

Sooooooo....the protein shake sounds really yummy. Did you post what kind of protein you use on the other thread? I'm about to go look. I am taking CO softgels but I think I'll get back to using the actual oil. How do you mix it in with the shake so it doesn't glob up? Please share your tips!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-08, 17:25

No tips on keeping the CO from globbing up! Today it was full of coconut chunks, but not yesterday. The difference between today's and yesterday's is that I used ice today. Yesterday, just room temp. coffee, no ice. I just use the giant whey from Costco.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-08, 09:43

BF:

Ugh. I'm so mad at myself- I pigged out on baked ziti the other night, and now I'm still feeling the effects of all that dairy (it was made with rice pasta, so at least I'm not dealing with dairy AND gluten poisening!)

Obviously, the carbs I ate that night will screw up weight loss, but I can't beleive I let myself eat so much cow's milk dairy- I should have known better! I need to eat extra-clean for a few days or weeks to get past this (and I could use more painkillers too, but I really don't want to go that route. And anyway, I'm not sure if my rheumatologist will increase my meds over the phone and by the time I could see him again I should be detoxed.)

So much for testing my reaction to gluten-free oats (if I could locate them.) At this point, I think I'll order the oat matzahs for Passover, and then seek out GF oat flour if and only if I tolerate oats well enough to be able to eat 2 small slices of oat bread a week (right now I make a rice flour based challah for Shabbos, and have about one slice each on Friday night and Saturday, oat challahs would replace this PLUS enable me to get rid of the wheat challahs the rest of the family eats, eliminating the risk of cross contamination.)
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-08, 12:37

Wow, how complicated is your kitchen, Ruth, with kosher/non-kosher and gluten/gluten-free? I think the stress of that might cause me to OD on some forbidden dairy too! Sorry, I know it's not funny that you're suffering from your indulgence. I have to wonder why it is so hard for us to treat ourselves right and stay away from the toxins. I have a friend who is actually very good about it---skinny as a rail---and very disciplined. She often doesn't eat much at social events.

I hope you feel better soon!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-08, 14:27

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 150/140/140 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Everyone,

Just thought I would pop in here with these,
for you to enjoy.

Larry
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-08, 14:27
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Beautiful! Thanks, Larry!!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-08, 17:29

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

While driving to work on Leap Day, the CBC radio announcer just had to mention that those of us on annual salaries weren't getting paid to work the extra day - I was tempted to keep driving!
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-08, 08:59

BF:

How's everybody doing today?

My 6yo threw up twice last night and once this morning, and I'm completely dragging today since I was already fighting something off and then he messed up my sleep.

It's easy to go for the simple carbs when I feel crappy, but I'm trying to avoid that. I was going to have a bowl of gluten-free cereal with almond milk, but then decided to have some fried eggs instead. I think I made the right choice- I'm more dizzy than nauseated today, I think my nausea is from hunger and lack of sleep, not from catching what DS has.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-08, 07:29

BF:

I'm feeling a lot better today, and so is my son.

I'm really proud of myself- I stuck to the plan all day yesterday even though I felt really crappy. The absolute hardest part was breakfast- I was craving cereal and milk but I made eggs for myself instead.

At dinnertime, I discovered that egg drop soup is every bit as comforting as chicken soup with rice!

And I'm down another pound this morning.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-08, 08:48

Plan: No processed foods
Stats: 247.6/232.8/150 Female 5'5"
BF:yes
Progress: 15%

Do you make your own egg-drop soup, or purchase from a Chinese restaurant? I love egg-drop, but wonder if the restaurant version has any carbs that the home-made stuff might not? It is a good, on-the-go food to pick up & I will be doing some traveling soon. Any other ideas for good foods while on the road?
Congrats on being another pound down, Ruth!
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-08, 11:59

BF:

I'm on too many dietary (and budget!) restrictions to order any food from restaurants.

I heated up some home made chicken broth, and added in 2 raw eggs and cooked them in the soup, rather than heating it up with leftover brown rice.