Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Soups Sauces & Appetizers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-21-11, 14:58
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%
Default Asian Pork & Lotus Root Soup

This wonderful soup I made for lunch today is real easy to throw together. You won't be disappointed in the flavor! It is pictured here: http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2011/0...otus-root-soup/

If you’ve never eaten or cooked lotus root, this is a fun, starchy vegetable. It is the wagon-wheel shaped item int eh pic. The stem of the lotus pond plant has hollow channels so that when peeled and sliced crosswise, it produces this interesting result. it’s texture is somewhat similar to water chestnut, but when cooked, a bit softer and mimics firm pieces of potato in oriental soups, in my opinion. It will still retains some of its crunchiness, however, even after considerable simmering in liquid. Sliced jicama would be a good substitute in this soup recipe, and will drop the carb count a carb or two. I actually prefer to chop the lotus root into 4-5 pieces when just serving to family, but will leave the attractive slices whole when serving company. Lotus root is available in most Asian and high end grocery stores both in cans, and packed in water in plastic bags. I’m not as fond of the canned as the raw packed as it is pressure cooked, is greyer in color and often too soft for some uses. Lotus root has around 1.4 carbs per slice and .4g fiber, or 1 NC per slice. so I use it sparingly. But I only used 60 grams (which was 6 slices) in my whole pot of soup, so each serving only gets 1-2 slices. I would think this soup would be considered Induction friendly, though I can’t actually find lotus root discussed in ANY of my Atkins books. If you’re in doubt, you can wait until the starchy vegetable rung of the OWL ladder to eat lotus root, you could use substitute water chestnuts or jicama and be certain it is OK for Inductions. My husband and I both really like this soup. I made a half recipe (3 bowls) and HE liked it so much he dipped up a second and had it consumed before I realized there was no extra ladle for me when my bowl was empty. So I’m doubling and posting the recipe for 6 servings below.

INGREDIENTS:

4 c. chicken broth (or three 10.5-oz. cans)
3 c. water
1/3 c. rice vinegar
2 T. tamari (or soy sauce, low sodium)
1 tsp. chile paste (I use Sambal Oelek available in most grocery stores with oriental foods)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 slice ginger root, peeled and minced
2 tsp. sesame oil
2 oz. onion, sliced
2 oz. red bell pepper, slivered
5 dried shitake mushrooms, (rehydrated in the 3 c. of water cited above, then sliced. DO NOT DISCARD WATER as it goes in the soup)
60 g. (6 slices) lotus root
8 oz. cooked pork, sliced thin
1 c. raw spinach, kale or bok choy leaves, chopped coarsely

DIRECTIONS: Soak the shitake mushrooms about 30 minutes to rehydrate. Lift out of water, saving the mushroom water for the soup pot. Slice the mushrooms, removing the stem bit if it is tough (they usually are, but not always). Add all remaining ingredients except the red bell pepper and greens. Bring to a boil and lower heat to a simmer for about 20 minutes. Add greens and red pepper and simmer just until they are both tender (about 15 more minutes).

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 6 large bowls (about 1½ c. each). 1/6 of the recipe contains:

200 calories
10.75 g fat
9.33 g carbs, 1.93 g fiber, 7.4 g NET CARBS
16.9 g protein
447 mg sodium
Sponsored Links