Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Soups Sauces & Appetizers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-25-11, 08:06
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%
Default Fish Dill Chowder

Fish Dill Chowder

I’ve been making this chowder for many many years and find it quite different from the typical New England or Manhattan style chowder most of us are familiar with.

In my opinion, Redfish is best for chowders. It is so firm (almost have to cut it with a knife like a steak) it holds up to cooking without falling apart in the soup. But the other fish varieties indicated below will also work for you in this, and what I most often have to revert to using now that I no longer live on the Texas Gulf coast where Redfish is readily available. The flavor balance of the fish, wine and dill in this recipe is quite delicate, so this is one fish chowder I would NOT recommend you recipe tweakers add other shellfish to. The one time I added shrimp or clams, it just wasn’t so good. Dill just doesn’t compliment shellfish as well as whole fish. My original recipe called for 2 c. diced potato, so to adhere to low carbing, some halved radishes would make an acceptable substitute if you’re in Induction. If you’re up to the starchy veggie rung of the OWL ladder, I’d chose diced rutabaga for a closer potato substitute (but not turnips, which would be too strong for this!). This chowder is quite good on its own merits, without either.

Added note: I regularly make seafood stock from all my shrimp/lobster shells (simmered 30 min. in water) and keep frozen at all times in 1 & 2 cup jars.

I don’t have a photo of this presently, but will add one next time I cook up a batch. A nice variation on this recipe is to use a little coconut milk for some of the cream. I find the bacon simmering in this adds enough saltiness for us. But feel free to add more to taste. Induction friendly recipe if wine is omitted.

INGREDIENTS:

6 slices bacon, coarsely chopped
3 oz. onion, chopped
¼ c. parsley, chopped
¼ tsp. dill seed
2 sprigs fresh dill
2 qts. seafood stock (Or use half water and chicken stock)
1 c. heavy cream
2 lb. mild fish filets (Redfish if available, or Tilapia, Swai, Flounder or Sole), cut into 1″ chunks
½ c. dry white wine (omit if in Induction)
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
¼ tsp. black pepper

DIRECTIONS: On high heat, brown bacon in large stew pot until just done, not crisp. Add onion and saute until onion begins to brown and caramelize. Add all remaining ingredients except fish and cream. Allow to return to a boil and then lower heat. Simmer 30 minutes-1 hour. Shortly before serving, add cream and fish chunks. Continue simmering on lowest heat just long enough for fish to get done. Any longer and the flesh will fall apart on you. That is not a bad thing, but it’s not as visually pleasing in the bowl. Serve garnished with a sprig of parsley when serving.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 8 large bowls, each containing:

180 calories
9.86 g fat
3.25 g carbs, .66 g fiber, 2.59 NET CARBS
22.4 g protein
993 mg sodium (can be reduced with less bacon)
44% RDA Vitamin B12, 19% niacin, 22% phosphorous, 15% riboflavin and 13% selenium
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-20-11, 10:35
Patience Personified

I finally cooked this again and got a pic up on my website for it now. Here ya go: http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2011/0...h-dill-chowder/
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-20-11, 11:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 246.8/241.3/175 Female 5'7
BF:WAY TOO MUCH
Progress: 8%

wow... looks so yummy!!! Will def. try this recipe!!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-20-11, 12:40
Patience Personified

I pigged out on it at lunch, I confess. I put two diced parsnips in it today. They're a nice sub for potatoes.