Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-25-01, 14:07

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Smile

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this messageboard but I thought I'd check it out. I just started using Herbalife products recently but I'm thrilled with them. So much so that I've just become a distributor. They make TONS of weight loss aids, snack bars, nutritional supplements.... everything. I think the hardest part is actually deciding which ones to take. Luckily, they have a little guide for that. Anyway, I just wanted to share. I hope to hear more from all of you.

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-25-01, 15:10
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%
Thumbs down

Gee,(scratching head)is snake oil part of this low-carb WOE?

Flax oil yes, but SNAKE OIL?

Too bad there isn't a toll free number that we could call, oh, a thousand times!

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-25-01, 15:18
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Talking

maybe we could use it for that recipe I mentioned down in the Lighter Side forum. From the Regretable Food, and the Recipes for the Damned..........

"Fruit Cocktail & SPAM Buffet Party Loaf"

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-25-01, 19:03

Plan:
Stats: 256/200/125
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy

Isn't this group supposed to be for SUPPORT??? So what if this person happens to sell the products. If they're working for her, then Great! Don't knock someone down without having any facts.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-25-01, 19:31
Forum Founder

BF:
Exclamation

Any member is more than welcome to share their lowcarbing experiences. If they find a particular product helpful, or delicious or whatever, then great. Please share that information with everyone here on the forum. Please name the product, tell what's in it, describe what you thought about it. Suggest the products' national website for information even.

But please do not post gushing praise for a commercial enterprise, tell us nothing about the product(s) and expect us to phone or visit YOUR personal home page to get it.

If the product is so great, then you should be willing to share ALL the information pubicly, and without the expectation of personal profit or gain. THAT is what support is all about.

If you want advertising space, please contact the webmaster webmaster~lowcarb.ca for arrangement to post on our Shopping Page.

thankyou.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-25-01, 19:57

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Hello again,

I've changed my signature. Everyone happy now?

Sorry if I sound a little irritated but it's because I am. I didn't come on here to cause trouble. I came here because I have a weight problem that is seriously messing up my life and I'm sick of it. The problem is getting better now but I'm not where I need to be yet. I'm reminded every day of just how far I have yet to go. I don't need anyone else making fun of me on here.

You wanted some answers, here they are. Herbalife's website isn't that hard to figure out. It's http://www.herbalife.com That's the national site. There is NO selling on there. Only product information. That should make everyone happy.

The only way the products are available are through independent distributors. The company does that because it's sometimes harder for people who are overweight to get into business because people look down on you due to your weight. By losing weight while starting your business, you feel better about yourself while succeeding. That's why my information was in my signature.

As for the products..... they're all natural. That's what I like about them. I don't like to put a lot of chemicals in my body unless I absolutely have to. It's just not healthy. All of their products are 100% natural. That was a big selling point for me.

I also like that not only does everything come in lots of different flavors (which I will not list here, lest it be construed as advertising) but also everyone that I've come into contact with in the company has been so helpful and kind. That's something I could really use right now.

That's all I'm going to say. If you want to read about it, go to the national website. Like I said in my first post, I came here because I'm sick of my life the way it is and could use the extra support. The products are great but it doesn't mean much without motivation behind it. I don't want to waste your time or mine.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-25-01, 22:38
Forum Founder

BF:
Unhappy

Well, I visited the website. Not all of the products are available in Canada; they don't meet our FDA standards.

I checked the ingredients list for the protein shake powders (assuming the formula is the same in US and Canada) - the protein source is soy and casein. Casein is the main protein constituent of milk, usually cow. It is abundant and cheap, and unfortunately the protein responsible for most dairy allergies (the other being lactalbumin). It is also not as well absorbed as isolated whey protein. Casein is the dairy ingredient used in Coffeemate and the other artificial coffee whiteners. It's basically skim milk powder with the lactose and whey removed. The protein shake mix provides 18 gm protein and 4 gm carbs per serving. Most of the isolated whey and soy powders available from local health food and (more recently) grocery chains - provide 30 gm protein and only 2 gm carbs.

My other concern is that it's sweetened with aspartame. This is a controversial chemical. Many lowcarbers prefer the powders sweetened with stevia or sucralose.

Gee, it doesn't sound very natural does it?

Doreen

[Edited by doreen T on 25-01-01 at 23:50]
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-26-01, 01:57
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Wow! Our first skirmish!

Yep, this is a support group and forum. A low-carb support group. We support low-carb and give advice and kudos. Sorry Maria, but there was nothing in your first post that mentioned low-carb, a way-of-eating or any trials, tribulations or triumphs.

I’m sick of being fat too. I hate being a sugar-junkieI wish I could just wake up and be a new person without this SWEAR WORD addiction. I spend lots of time dealing with it everyday. That is one of the reasons why I eat low-carb. If there is a life-changing product out there, fantastic! Introduce yourself, talk about your WOE and speak of how you’ve succeeded and/or what is making you miserable or worried. When you meet someone for the first time, you want to hear about them and not a sales pitch. Tell us about yourself!

And Doreen, I think I would prefer spam, spam, eggs and spam. Fruit cocktail is a little too high-carb.

Karen
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-26-01, 13:34
Forum Founder

BF:
Smile no skirmish, just facts and information

hi Maria, Karen and everyone,

Indeed, this whole forum, with all its categories and the terrific and amazing members who contribute here makes it one of the best on the net for support and information on LOWCARBING ... in my unbiased opinion of course ...

On the subject of supporting independent commercial enterprise, that's what the Shopping Page is all about (look on the red menu bar at the top of this page). Check it out http://www.lowcarb.ca/store/products.html It's a place where folks can send in the name of their favourite lowcarb foods and the source(s), names and addresses of local lowcarb outlets, as well as national chains, and for independent marketers to post their phone, fax, webpage and a blurb about the lowcarb products and/or services they provide. There is no charge for members to post there, in the true spirit of SUPPORT. You can send an email directly to webmaster~lowcarb.ca with the details, or use the convenient form which you'll find on the Shopping Page.

To Maria, please take the time to visit all the categories and pages here. You will find the support you need. I'm sorry you are having a such tough time right now, you sound really discouraged. Don't be. We are in this together. I am struggling to lose 60 lbs, and I am also permanently disabled. There are days when I hate myself and hate my life. I bulge out of my clothes, I hate going shopping because nothing fits, I suffer chafing and thigh-rub, and I crave bread and rice and French wine. There are folks here too in the process of losing 100 lbs, or 150 lbs. And a few who just want to maintain their loss, or they choose a lowcarb plan to correct an illness, like diabetes or chronic fatigue. Our common link is that we have chosen lowcarb as the way of eating (WOE) or way of life (WOL) that will help us reach our goals.

Is that YOUR goal - weight loss and feeling better by lowcarbing? Or is your goal to sell the Herbalife? You don't need to answer, just think this one to yourself. What is your goal, because you didn't really state that. What does success mean to you? The self-esteem from losing weight and feeling better about yourself? Or the self-esteem from your business being successful at that? Both are perfectly valid reasons ... ... But, you need to separate the two. We can help you with the former, and I'm sure your experiences will enable you to help us too. If the Herbalife products are helping you to be successful with your weight loss, then by all means, please share that with us. Tell us how they are helping you with lowcarbing. And if you're having a bad day, share that with us too, you'll get lots of encouragement and support.

I firmly believe in providing ALL information, both for and against, and will continue to do nothing less. People are free to agree or disagree. One of the great things about lowcarbing is that it is a YMMV (your mileage may vary) thing. There is no "one size fits all". What works for one won't work for another. Herbalife is very popular around the world, and thousands of folks love it and swear by it. There are as many though that it has not helped. Don't take criticism of the product as a personal attack.

Looking forward to reading more about your lowcarbing success! Take care,

Doreen

p.s. - about my reference to fruit cocktail and SPAM meat loaf - do check out the "Recipes of the Damned" site. http://www.batemania.com/recipes/archive.html It's hilarious, very light-hearted, and laughing is good for the weight loss.

[Edited by doreen T on 28-01-01 at 21:20]
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-01, 12:17

Plan:
Stats: 160/160/140
BF:
Progress:
Angry

This is my first time here and I just want to say how disappointing this is. Ya'll are so mean. I lost 30 pounds on herbalife and I love it. You have no right to be mean to her. She found something she likes and is selling it. Get over it. She is not telling you "BUY BUY BUY" She was simply saying she found something that worked and was sharing her opinion.

Ya'll found something that works and are sharing it, don't bash her for sharing what works for her. And by the way, herbalife does sell a carb program!!

From what I remember, diet "stuff" period doesn't meet FDA standards because they won't even look at diet "stuff" or something like that. I don't remember the exact words that I read.

Maria, keeping on going and ignore the negative comments people make!!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-12-01, 00:40
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Hello Hungry, welcome to our forum. Yes, we really would like to support each other in our struggle to lose weight, However , we do not support members who just want to sell stuff (and nothing else) and get free advertisement (also called SPAM), even if they are selling steaks and low-carb products. You want to sell something, do what sellers do, advertise and PAY for it. Or alternatively, start a new web site, pay the monthly bills for hosting and software, and then you can advertise to your heart content.

People are just sceptical about mysterious members who only post advertisements (and nothing else), while other members post informative messages, supportive messages, and profit-free messages. As far as I can tell, every spammer we asked not to advertise, simply quit and left, which leads me to believe, they're only here for advertising, and not support.

I personally would love if CNN. CBC, NBC or ABC would allow us to advertise for free on their networks, since we are a support group, but they don't, and we know why, so should spammers.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Apr-12-01, 05:34
Forum Founder

BF:

Amen

I recall that the member went back and edited her first message, removing phone number, email and instructions to "call me for more details", etc, so of course persons reading it now, 3 months later, can't see what was objectionable in it. And it only took a few mouse clicks for Admin. to see that RCT and WeightLossNow were one and the same person..

Congrats to you Hungry on your weight loss, it's not easy no matter WHICH program you follow .. .. Hope you choose to share your lowcarbing story with us.

Doreen
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Apr-13-01, 10:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

there was a really long bitter battle going on at asdlc about an herblife spammer. i wonder if that person was also RTC and weightlossnow? that person said that he'd sent out thousands of posting to differend boards on the net. he sounded proud of it! it never occurred to me that someone could have different names.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Apr-13-01, 12:33
Forum Founder

BF:
Exclamation

As Wa'il pointed out, we've had a number of herbalife, and other weight loss schemes and scams join us. And the introductory post is always the same ... canned and pre-packaged.
Quote:
Hi! Lost a ton of weight with this amazing product. It's all natural, herbs, safe. Here's my phone/email/website/whatever ....
... and the nickname is always some gushing ILostLard or ManicWithEnergy or something like that. My sister sells this herbal, vitamin stuff .... she showed me the "training manual" for distributors. The first chapters are full of specific ad lines and promotional text they should use to lure customers. They're almost word for word like these ones.

That's the thing. It's just a line ... a gimmick.

Just my opinion, of course.

Doreen