Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: Would you be interested in a Get-Together?
Yes and I can make it both weekends this time 3 42.86%
Yes but I can't make it this time 3 42.86%
Yes but I'd prefer a different location 1 14.29%
No 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

#136   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-02, 14:12
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 206/194.5/160
BF:
Progress: 25%

Hi Fi,

I live in the city of Cambridge and will only be int he UK until June when my husband and I go back to the Caribbean.

Aine
Sponsored Links
  #137   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-02, 17:45

Plan: My own (based on a compil
Stats: 333/260/224 Male 73 ins
BF:
Progress: 67%

Hi Cocoabear, Aine, Fine,

This is really the initial stage - seeing if there are enough local members to make a get-together possible.

Previous get-togethers have been in London, which I could not manage, and they have been organised by Fiona, who has not been able to visit the forum for a while. The way she has done it before is to canvass members for interest, then when there are enough who are keen and can make one location, she has worked out mutually convenient dates and times, and a date is fixed. In the early stages, this is done here on the forum. But details are worked out by e-mail. To do this, e-mail addresses are circulated to all agreeing parties. This is most easily done by private mail, but members with less than 25 posts do not have this facility.

This is an early stage yet. If we decide we'd like to go ahead, I will try and get hold of Fiona, who is still the UK Moderator. There will be members who are closer to London or other areas, who may want to organise other local meetings. This is certainly the thread to do it in, at least in the early stages. So, for Cambridge, we have a possible core of interested members, and a latest deadline of say late May, to correspond with Aine's return overseas.

Andy
  #138   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 06:57

Plan: Curves starting 13/4/04
Stats: 157/142/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Dear Andy
Thank you for that, I shall wait and see then for the next date......
I don't mind anyone emailing me privately - I think it is on my details (?) I shall check....

Fi
  #139   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 08:57

Plan: Carbwiser
Stats: 290.8/247/203 Male 6ft
BF:Plenty
Progress: 50%

Hi Andy

Haven't been around much since the New Year (pressure of work ). Anyway, if the date decided is convenient Margaret and I may be able to get up to the Cambridge area for a meet. Also, if she wanted to come we would probably be able to bring Fiona with us (I've obviously not spoken to her yet but the offer is there). I'll wait and see what materialises nearer the time

Keep smiling

Ken (& Margaret)
  #140   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 09:17
Registered Member

Stats: 128/114/114
BF:
Progress: 100%

Sounds good. I am a member of another UK low carb site and get togethers tend to always be in London so it would be nice to be a bit further North.

Fi, you can try and email me direct, I am not sure how I set this up initially but I can't email direct as I haven't posted 25 posts yet, although I am a seasoned low carber - almost a year now!

This site seems quite complicated for a newbie - I am sure I will get the hang of it eventually!

Cocoabear
  #141   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 20:29

BF:

Hi all,

Sounds encouraging, and very positive.

Ken, thanks, this is good news indeed, and a great offer.

Maybe it's time I tried e-mailing Fiona for a reaction in principle from her too.

Cocoabear, the private messaging system is different from your own e-mail system. If you post another 8 messages on the Forum, you will automatically get private messaging facilities of your own here. If not, I believe you can still send me a private message, by clicking on the tiny icon under this message that says "profile". This pulls up my profile for you. On that page is a line which says "Send Andy Davies a Private Message". Click on that, and you can send me a private message. In this you can let me know your e-mail address. Then I will e-mail you back with mine.

This method is used to protect members' e-mail addresses from the unwanted attentions of people who spend time scanning sites like this for any e-mail address they can find, so they can "Spam" members with a load of advertising materials, etc.

Will report back when I have contacted Fiona.

Andy
  #142   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 01:58

Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Default Hi Everyone

Great to see LC life carries on with or without me. Thanks Andy for your e-mail - it got me out of hibernation!

Aine as you are suggesting Cambridge how would you feel about looking for a suitable venue? Isn't Cambridge the city of the canals if my memory serves me right? I can see us having a great LC Gathering there.

Who else would be able to make it to Cambridge, shall we say in March?

Take care
  #143   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 11:17

Plan: Curves starting 13/4/04
Stats: 157/142/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Hi Cambridge in March will be fine for me....... I am looking forward to meeting all....

Fi
  #144   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 14:36

BF:
Smile March 2002 - Cambridge: UK Get-Together

This is the standard single entry that I will keep updating as details get finalised or changed.

Date: Saturday March 9, 23 or 30
Pencil into your diaries June 15th/22nd for a Summer Get Together

Time: 12.30 – 1pm

Venue: To be advised by Aine (if she agrees)

Activities: Walk by the canal (I know I would love that but does depend on weather, Andy’s leg etc.)

Who is Interested:
Aine, Cambridge - ?
Ken/Margaret - can make 9th
Fiona - 9th not ok, 23 & 30th if ok with Ken
Andy Davies - can't make 9 or 17th
Fine - Can make 9, 23, 30
Cocoabear, Lincoln
Bez

Take care.

Last edited by fiona : Sun, Feb-10-02 at 03:10.
  #145   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 14:39

BF:
Smile Thanks Ken and Margaret

{Ken: … if she wanted to come we would probably be able to bring Fiona with us } Thank you very much Ken. That is very kind of you. Yes I would like that very much. Perhaps I could take the tube to Watford to save you coming into the City and then back out again.

I hope you are both well. Need to pay a visit to your journals to catch up with all the news.

Take care.
  #146   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 19:31

BF:

Hi Fiona,

There is Aine, as well as fine. Both are interested in meeting in Cambridge.

My leg should be OK for a walk along canals - I walk with my children in the forest here at weekends (although I do tend to be a bit slow - sorry).

I need to use public transport, which may be better on Saturdays than Sundays, but I will check this out and let you know.

Will get back again when I know more.

Hope others will post up their needs, requirements and obstacles also.

Andy
  #147   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-02, 01:05

BF:

{Andy: do tend to be a bit slow - sorry}

No need to be sorry. We could take it in turns to keep up with you - or perhaps jog around you!

Reminds me when I was younger and my mum used to be a mile behind me. I would go ahead, suss out the shop windows and then hop back and excitedly point her in the "right" direction - never did understand why she didn't get as excited as me!

Oh it is nice to be back!
Take Care
  #148   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-02, 11:21

Plan: Carbwiser
Stats: 290.8/247/203 Male 6ft
BF:Plenty
Progress: 50%

Hi Fiona, Andy and all

March 9th looks OK for Margaret and myself,.

Quiery?? 16th March is a Saturday, do you mean 16th or Sunday 17th??
We can't make Sundays due to Youth Club, I'm also due to be rostered at work on Saturday 16th but should be able to either swop or take a days leave.

Fiona: We can arrange pick-up nearer the time. I'll put the June dates in my diary.

Speak soon,
Keep smiling

Ken (& Margaret)
  #149   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-02, 19:51

BF:

Hi all,

Sorry about this, but I can't make the two dates you offer - I should have realised yesterday that I had good reasons for saying several posts ago "2-3 months" and not "next month". Guess I was swept up in the excitement of it all. Apologies.

Andy
  #150   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 02:08

BF:
Question Saturday 23, 30 March Any better?

Okay Sunday is generally a bad day to pick for bad public transport, church etc reasons.

How about Saturday 23rd March or 30th March?

Take Care.