Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Tue, Sep-14-04, 21:41

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

Hi Kassie, saw your post in the exercise forum and thought I'd pop over here and say Hi. Built has helped me quite a bit, especially when I was first getting started. She's posted a lot of good info and suggestions in my gym log, so feel free to browse through it.

When I was at the higher weight, just doing cardio was improving my strength. I never got anyone around here to agree with me on that point, but if you think about it, all that excess weight I carried made the muscles work a lot harder. I found the Walk Away the Pounds videos the best workout for me. That's what I started with and I still do them for cardio workouts. I use the Express 2 mile version most of the time and I do think it helped build a lot of strength in my legs and a little bit in my core. You might want to give them a try.

You may also want to take some L-glutamine after you exercise. It's an amino acid and helps with the muscle repair. I take it after both strength training and cardio workouts because I still feel like my muscles are working really hard during cardio. I use the powder and just mix it in a little warm water.

If you have a choice at the gym, I've heard using free weights rather than the machines are better for you and that they help build up the strength in your stabilizer muscles in the core.

Hope this helps some!
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-04, 10:42
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%

Thank you for your advice!

I made it to the gym again today. I added 4 minutes to my treadmill, what a difference it made to the rest of my workout!
I was sweating!!

What I did:
Treadmill: 2.5 for 10 minutes
Cross trainer: 1 for 5 minutes forward and for 1 minute backwards.. ok more differcult due to my legs being tired from the treadmill, well worth it though!
Tossed a 6lb medicine ball for 10 minutes with my roommate. (I was able to do it alittle fast without panting than last time )
  #108   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-04, 10:55
Registered Member

Plan: hi prot/carb/cal cycling
Stats: 138.5/133.5/120 Female 64 inches
BF:20%
Progress: 27%

keep up the good work....if you make it a goal to add say 3-5 minutes a every week to two weeks to your treadmill, you will be walking away the pounds in no time. You may also want to consider water aerobics if you have that at your gym, very good for the joints and using water resistance to build muscle and burn fat.
  #109   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-04, 10:57
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hey there

You might try doing some ab work on the big exercise ball. I took a little exercise ball class about a hundred years ago, or you could ask your physio to help you. Regular crunches might be problematic at your weight, because you're still fighting so much gravity it's like they're weighted sets. They WILL get easier as you continue with your successful weight loss. But in the meantime, you need to do something for your abs that doesn't involve fighting your body and hurting your back.

Ask your physio for help here. You might consider Pilates as well - I've never tried it myself, but I've heard VERY good things about it for core work.

Good luck!
  #110   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-04, 13:25
Everyday Sane Psycho

All such great advice, Thank you so much!! I really want to have a strong and fit body. I'm 40 and I want to be healthy at my prime of life (I feel like I grew up at 35 )
  #111   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-04, 10:33
Everyday Sane Psycho

This morning I just did my stretches and my adominal exercises.
My back was alittle stiff this morning, probably done in my sleep.
I really wish I could have gone to the gym to work out some of the stress in me
  #112   ^
Old Mon, Sep-20-04, 10:30
Everyday Sane Psycho

On Sunday I didn't exactly go to the gym but I did go the zoo, and I walked and walked as did my roommate. We thought it would take an hour and a half but it took three hours! I'm still feeling the effects today (Monday). Our hearts were pumping and my roommate broke out in a sweat. I'm weird. I don't sweat hardly at all. Even though I drink lots of water (3-4 liters daily).
Is it a girl thing?
  #113   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-04, 06:30
Everyday Sane Psycho

Went to the gym today. I was so tired! This surprised me, I thought it would be easy after my long hike on Sunday. Maybe I'm still tired from it... But I did do it

What I did:
Treadmill: 2.5 for 10 minutes
Cross trainer: 1 for 5 minutes forward and for 1 minute backwards
Tossed a 6lb medicine ball for 10 minutes with my roommate.
  #114   ^
Old Thu, Sep-23-04, 10:07
Everyday Sane Psycho

Hi all went to the gym today
I did:
Treadmill: 2.5 for 10 minutes (very easy, time to increase the speed)
Cross trainer: 1 for 5 minutes forward (easy) and for 1 minute backwards (hell)
Tossed a 6lb medicine ball for 10 minutes with my roommate.
Also did my abdominal exercises and stretches.

Good news! I received all but one of my yoga tapes. I have beginning yoga for the back, Yoga for Everyone, and Yoga for Dummies. I plan to do the yoga between gym visits and once I get used to them, from time to time at night. I'm very excited!
  #115   ^
Old Fri, Sep-24-04, 10:37
Everyday Sane Psycho

Hi all!
I started doing Yoga for Dummies and got through pose 7 before stopping (I only had a half hour). Its differcult for me for some of the poses. Sitting on heels, kneeling on one knee, etc due to weak muscles and a heavy frame. But the instructor on the DVD is a nice one and warned that everyone starts out clumsy and that's why people turn to yoga. So I feel better. I noticed as I move around today I can feel all my muscles ache slightly. Like after a workout, which surpised me but delighted me. I'm standing tall like a tree when I stand. Just today my boss said that I look taller for some reason
  #116   ^
Old Mon, Sep-27-04, 10:20
Everyday Sane Psycho

Hi all On Sunday I went to a park in my City and discovered a walking train around a pond. It took me about 45 minutes to traverse it but it was so beautiful and fun. I definitely want to do it again! My ankles weren't used to the uneven terrain but hey if this walk makes them stronger I'm all for it!
  #117   ^
Old Tue, Sep-28-04, 10:55
Everyday Sane Psycho

Hi all
I went to the gym this morning! Oh my gosh I'm so full of energy now! Which is funny for this morning I was a slug!!

What I did:
Treadmill: 2.5 for 10 minutes (I was so tired)
Cross trainer: 1 for 5 minutes forward (easy) and for 1 minute backwards (hell...still!)(why is backwards so friggin hard??!!
I did my abdominal exercises and stretches, using the 6lb medicine ball from side to side. (My roommate was resting and boy I felt I used my complete arm each time the ball went to its side. Phew!! I did this for about 5 minutes. I felt this more than tossing the ball like I normally do and I feel it in the sides of me)
  #118   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-04, 11:12
Everyday Sane Psycho

Hi all, Went to the gym again

What I did:
Treadmill: 2.5 for 15 minutes (I added 5 minutes, not a problem)
Cross trainer: 1 for 5 minutes forward (ok, slightly tired) and for 1 minute backwards (good today, adding a minute or two next time)
I did my abdominal exercises and stretches, using the 6lb medicine ball from side to side as well as arm work with the ball over my head and behind my back raises and lowering.

My roommate gave out after doing the treadmill for 11 minutes. He's discouraged that is stamina is so poor. I think you have to go beyond what you are comfortable with to see stamina where you are comfortable with... know what I mean??

Last edited by Lessara : Thu, Sep-30-04 at 14:37.
  #119   ^
Old Sun, Oct-03-04, 13:47
Everyday Sane Psycho

I went to the gym on Saturday:

What I did:
Cross trainer: 1 for 5 minutes forward and for 1 minute backwards
I did my abdominal exercises and stretches, using the 6lb medicine ball from side to side as well as arm work with the ball over my head and behind my back raises and lowering. I did more this time, showing my roommate some moves. About 20 minutes.
  #120   ^
Old Mon, Oct-04-04, 10:25
Everyday Sane Psycho

Hi all, went to the gym today.

What I did:
Cross trainer: 1 for 5 minutes forward (ok, slightly tired) and for 1 minute backwards
I did my abdominal exercises and stretches, using the 6lb medicine ball from side to side as well as arm work with the ball over my head and behind my back raises and lowering.

I was tired and unmotivated before going, I felt better after I started, but now at lunch I'm tired again. Usually I feel more energy... strange.