Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 11:58
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Cool Monday

Today I was at the gym and I sceduled to meet with a trainer so I could start using the strength trainning machines! I walked on the treadmill at 3.0 for 20 minutes... I'm a mile on my way to Nashua!
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 11:59
Everyday Sane Psycho

Smile Tuesday

I did treadmill at 3.0 for 10 minutes = .52 miles
and cross trainer for 10 minutes = .62 miles

so now I'm 2.14 miles to Nashua (I haven't left Manchester yet )
  #48   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 15:01
Everyday Sane Psycho

Cool Thursday

Walked another mile today on the treadmill (20min, 3.0)
so I'm officially out of Manchester on my way to Nashua!
(3.16 miles) My posture is improving!
  #49   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 10:59
Everyday Sane Psycho

Smile Monday

I did my treadmill for 20 minutes at 3.0. = 1.02miles.. ok that makes it... 4.18 miles now! What that's not right.. oH! I forgot to post Friday! I did 10 min on the treadmill and 10 minutes on the crosstrainer for 1.14 miles and now my total is 5.32! Way cool! I see the fitness trainer on Saturday to learn the Nautalist machines (I spell it different each time I type it )
  #50   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 19:21
Everyday Sane Psycho

Question Hmmm

Does anyone read my gym journal?
  #51   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-03, 10:33
Everyday Sane Psycho

Smile Tuesday

Well I guess my question was answered.

Well today I did 10 min on the treadmill and 10 minutes on the crosstrainer for 1.14 miles and now my total is 6.47 total miles.
  #52   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 13:48
Renovation Cub

Plan: LC
Stats: 330/286/200 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 34%
Cool

Hi Lessara,

What do you do for ab work? I might find it if I run back through your log, but I'm lazy

I find it a hard muscle group to hit, but notice it a bit with crunches and also when I do some dumbell pullovers that are theoretically for my back

If you are doing crunches, you can add raising your knees up at the same time, try some twist crunches to hit the sides, and maybe follow something like what BFL does or add a dumbell or plate behind your head when in the crunch.

also, how you do them can be important. I'm no expert, but am willing to offer some more advice if you provide some more detail
  #53   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 20:50
Everyday Sane Psycho

Smile My Ab work

Thank you, Kevin.. and I mean that, Thank you!
A visitor!

For Ab work I do what's called, resistant exercises.
I can do it sitting or laying on my back.
I put my hand on my lower gut, where supposedly adominals lie.
I tighten them in, hold then release, I do this about 20 times. Then I move my hand up to cover the upper adominals, and do the same thing. I was told that my hand should not rise or move out. The next exercises differ depending on position. Laying on my back I bend my knees and rise trying to touch my right shoulder to my left knee. Sitting I put my hands on the desk and push my shoulder downward toward my left knee but my hands stop the motion. I hold the tighening then release. I do this for the opposite side. I do about 10 reps. The last exercise is bending my knees then raising them by pushing the small of my back either into my chair or the floor depending on position. Starting today I have been holding the positions longer so to feel like I've done something.

Thanks for asking, Kevin.
  #54   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 06:58
Renovation Cub

BF:
Cool

No problem. I'm no expert, but have some experience. And thanks for the post to my gym log, figured it was just going to be me recording things

Hmmm, Never done what you are talking about, so can't comment on effectiveness, but it sounds more like a stength building/endurance building exercise, versus trying to really tear down the muscle and build it back up like weight training does.

I can't recommend enough the simple crunch (and variations when you get more into it) for ab work. Everything I have ever read points it as the best/easiest exercise to do for your abs. Do you know how to do a crunch? Kinda like a 1/3 situp? If not, ask, I'll explain.

I really like how BFL does them, and all their exercises, since I really like that pyramid approach.

You asked about BFL, focused on the intensity. This is what I like about it, it is just your take on how intense the exercise is, so it is completely up to you to how much weight you lift, where you make your weight changes etc....

For example, since a description is better than trying to explain I think, take my shoulder routine.

I have dumbells in 5lb increments. So, for shoulders I start with a 5lb dumbell in each hand, and do a shoulder press - sit and hold the weights by your ears, press up above your head until extended and back down. 12 reps, then rest for a minute, and I find this to be effort, but not really that much, so I count it as a 5. I then go up to 10lbs, and do 10, a bit more effort to complete, I rate it a 6. However, 15lbs is too much for me say at the 8 rep level, so I just keep the 10lb weights and do it again. This is somewhat more effort, since I've already done 2 sets, and then so on. The biggest thing when doing this is to be honest with yourself. I find I challenge myself to see if I really can't do 1 more rep at the higher intensity levels, or if I just want to give up because it is burning.
I don't think you have to be in shape to start with, because you can just pick things that you feel gives you the intensity you are looking for.
But, it really took me a 2nd read through the book to figure this all out, since the first time through I was rather confused about it all
But, I think anything that works the body can't be bad for you

I will say though, that the BFL cardio is the first time I really felt like a cardio session is doing something for me, beyond making me sweat. And as it is only 20 minutes, it is so nice to fit in.

Anyway, anything else I can answer, or help on, let me know.
Oh, I have some experience in the past with exercise, but nothing ever too serious. In highschool I fooled around with weight bench and barbell, nothing ever came from it. In Univerisity in the 2nd year I had a roomate who was into Karate and body building, and I spent a few months working with him in the gym, where things were pretty intense, and I did build a bunch of strength, and probably some muscle
When first starting work full time, my now wife and I went to the gym 3 times a week for a year, and that was the best shape I had been in until now from a weight perspective, and I'm working on the muscle/endurance with this current run.
I've read a lot on weight training, more than I ever actuall put into effect, and I am no expert with just really some practical experience with some theory.

hehehe, Ok, I've rambled enough, have a great day.
  #55   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 10:42
Everyday Sane Psycho

Smile Thursday

Thank you, Kevin.. you just open my eyes to a whole new world!
I will have to read it again tonight for I want to take notes! (to bring with me when I get trained on Saturday).

For today, I walked my 20 minutes on the Treadmill at 3.0 for 1.02 miles. Lets see that is: 7.49 total miles. I'm getting there.
On a positive note. I'm losing weight...
  #56   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 11:01
Renovation Cub

BF:
Cool

No problem, glad to help. Lost 3lbs since the beginning of the weekend myself, so I'm in a good mood.
  #57   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 10:55
Everyday Sane Psycho

Cool Friday

I'm so excited.. Tomorrow, TOMORROW! I'm being trained on the strength training machines!!!

For Today I did 10 min on the treadmill and 10 minutes on the crosstrainer for 1.14 miles and now my total is 8.63 total miles. I have now walked past Merrimack!!
  #58   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-03, 11:59
Everyday Sane Psycho

Cool Saturday

I was trained in Strength Training today!!

This is what I did:
Leg Extension : 50lbs 12 times (all are 12)
Leg Curl: 50lbs
Hip Abduction: 90lbs
Hip Adduction: 70lbs
Compound Row: 50lbs
Overhead Press: 30lbs
Lateral Raise: 50lbs
Tricept Extension: 30lbs
and Adominals: 50lbs

He wants me to do two set of 12.
Monday and Thursday are my upper body and Adominals
I'm to do the cross trainer for 20 minutes for cardio (I can bearly do 10 min at this point though), Stretch after
Tuesday and Friday are my lower body and adominals,
with treadmill as my cardio for 20 minutes, Stretch after.

So this means I will be exercising for 40 minutes. Wow! That's double.. I hope I can do this, it seems alot. I'll let you know.
  #59   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-03, 13:39

Plan: formerly Atkins
Stats: 350/232/225 Female 5' 8"
BF:mooooo/moo/buff
Progress: 94%

All right Lessara! Looks like a good workout. You can do it! Just try to stay focused during your workouts. Good luck!
  #60   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-03, 17:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 221.8/221.8/155 Female 5’7”
BF:
Progress: 0%

Lessara,
When I first started doing the elliptical trainer last summer, it was all I could do to stay on it for 5 mins. Now I'm up to 15 mins. plus a 4 min cool down (still at level 1). You'll get there, just stick with it.

You're looking good!