Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-13, 11:16
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Y'all should read "Wheat Belly" it gives some insight into why wheat is such a triggering food for many.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-13, 11:19

Plan: Whole Foods Atkins
Stats: 178/168/150 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress: 36%

Yes...have been reading the web-site and Dr. Davis blog. Really want to get the book as soon as can. Our bodies knew it all along didn't they as we groped in the dark with bread and sugar addiction.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-13, 17:47

Plan: Wheat belly
Stats: 235/220/200 Male 6 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

Wheat belly is a fantastic book, It is what turned me to the fat side

the only thing more evil than Wheat is fructose
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-13, 08:04

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I was searching our library on-line system for all the new books on order. We seem to order anything and everything with the word Diet in it.

Noticed that there will be a new South Beach out in April.
A "Gluten Aware" plan, whatever that may be.
Dr. Davis makes it simplier...just eliminate all gluten sources, but thought you might be interested in this one:

http://www.amazon.com/South-Beach-D.../dp/1623360455/
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Mar-27-17, 04:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 148/148/134 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammay
That's why I'm staying away from bread in Phase 2 :-). I think it will be a huge trigger for me. However, I don't find that fruit is a trigger for me. I like fruit but I don't LOVE it, so I can have 1 or 2 servings a day and not have it trigger carb cravings or a binge. I think that whole grains will be the same (like 1/2 cup brown rice with my chili) but for now I'm sticking with fruit and seeing how that goes.

It's funny how different foods trigger different people. My mom, for example, absolutely loves fruit and she can eat pounds and pounds of it (and now that the summer fruits have started coming in, she is partying :-D).

Tam

Fruit is red lilght for me as well. i absolutely LOVE it. Actually I did well on WW until they introduced free fruit, hah nothing is free for me and then to make it fruit??! insane. I probably ate 8 servings a day.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Nov-04-17, 21:35
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins / South Beach
Stats: 265/246/185 Male 71 inhes
BF:
Progress: 24%

Cookies are like crack for me. All baked sweets send me on a roller coaster of cravings with energy highs and lows, but cookies were an absolute addiction. I used to joke that it was too bad that Girl Scout Cookies were only sold in single-serving boxes, but in reality it wasn't far from the truth for me. I used to crave chocolate chip or M&M cookies from the local bakery or Subway and would eat several a day. Now after going low-carb it seems strange that they don't even interest me, but I have a strong feeling that if I indulged in one, I'd be craving them all over again.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Dec-09-17, 19:21
Monday came.

Plan: my own
Stats: 275/228.6/155 Female 5'4"
BF:ummm . . . ?
Progress: 39%

I'm not SB'ing it, but will join in on this discussion--I hope that's alright with folks.

A lot of my triggers are situational and multi-factorial. In other words, I could walk past X with no problem one day, and the next day if I'm feeling stressed, it's a problem. Example, food in the break-room at work. People think I have a lot of willpower. If I had that, I could eat one and move on. I don't, so . . . I don't!

But I've turned to food a lot over the years that I worked there, and have used it as an emotional crutch, so those habits still have their power to hum at me.

I quit smoking decades ago--but never lost sight of what it means to be addicted to cigarettes. I told myself then that if I ever smoked a pack again, I'd be right back to being a practicing smoker. I'm not an ex-smoker; I'm an abstaining smoker, cigarette-free for many years now. I stay humble about this, because it's appropriate to be humble.

I think I need to adopt a similar mindset about carb triggers.

I went grocery shopping today. Filled my cart with a week's worth of groceries for $57US. The only impulse item in there was fresh asparagus. The rest is just food. And I was light on my feet, and moving fast, and enjoying how it felt to move. Then I saw a woman there who reminded me of me when I was at my heaviest. I can't say what I felt--maybe a multitude of things--but it gave me pause for thought. I just remembered really hard.

Still working this out. I have to.
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Dec-10-17, 03:24

Plan: atkins 20
Stats: 127.6/111/110 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Awww, well said Kathleen, it is why you are 12 lbs below goal, you got this figured out, but it NEVER goes away, we will always be working it out. It is good to know where the triggers come from, I agree, for me it is the same if I have that first bite, I'm done, I don't trust that I can stop, remember Gramma always said a little tastes the same as a lot...well maybe for functioning non carb addicted folks...but for me, a little tastes like MORE...lol

One day at a time, keep learning, have a positive day, ttyl
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Dec-10-17, 03:48

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Kathleen,
I’m also not SB, though like many here, I’ve done every Diet at some point in my past. Been there, done that, have the T-shirt for SBD so know the rules. There is a good thread about Abstaining vs. Moderating started a few years ago...since you mentioned abstaining thought you may enjoy reading Gretchen Rubin's take on habits (and low carb tips too). Both can work depending on your "tendencies" but members of this forum do seem to favor the Abstainer side.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=468195

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Dec-10-17 at 03:54.