Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-06-11, 12:15
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 190/190/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default WOW! Found my Trigger...

Holy cow! I think I found my trigger. I have been doing SBD since Sunday, April 17th and I have lost about 8 poiunds. I have had a few slips but nothing huge and really nothing that caused an all out carb binge. I feel I have been doing great with handling my cravings, which have all but disappeared...that is until yesterday. I am well into Phase 2 so I thought for lunch I would try an open faced sandwich. I had Brownberry Oatnut Bread with a piece of swiss cheese, turkey, mustard and some veggies. It tasted great and filled me up for the lunch time.

By the time I got home I had this absolute uncontrollable urge to bake something...absolutely needed brownies, cupcakes, anyting...I finally settled on Rice Krispie Bars and I ate 5 of them before I could stop myself. Then as I was laying in bed, I got up and went down to the kitchen AGAIN just to cut another one -even AFTER I was already in bed!!!! Talk about not being in control.

I am guessing my trigger is bread and, therfore, I am going to try and stay away from that as much as I can because I can not possibly do that to myself again. It was like watching a movie of myself and being totally disgusted with what I saw yet not being able to stop it.

I think this week I am going to reintroduce some whole grain pasta one day and see what happens. God help me..!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-06-11, 12:28

Plan: General LC
Stats: 198/184.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 28%

BOY DO I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT BIG TIME!!!

I discovered my trigger is any sweets.

I was doing great, losing well.
Had NO cravings.

Some one put a 2 inch by 4 inch piece of black forest cake
in front of me and I thought it wouldn't be a prob.
BOY WAS I WRONG!
I went on a 3 month bender after that one tiny bit.
Gained back all I'd lost and 5 pounds more.

I'm trying to lose it all now again, and its harder than ever.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-06-11, 13:54
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddswife
Holy cow! I think I found my trigger. I have been doing SBD since Sunday, April 17th and I have lost about 8 poiunds. I have had a few slips but nothing huge and really nothing that caused an all out carb binge. I feel I have been doing great with handling my cravings, which have all but disappeared...that is until yesterday. I am well into Phase 2 so I thought for lunch I would try an open faced sandwich. I had Brownberry Oatnut Bread with a piece of swiss cheese, turkey, mustard and some veggies. It tasted great and filled me up for the lunch time.

By the time I got home I had this absolute uncontrollable urge to bake something...absolutely needed brownies, cupcakes, anyting...I finally settled on Rice Krispie Bars and I ate 5 of them before I could stop myself. Then as I was laying in bed, I got up and went down to the kitchen AGAIN just to cut another one -even AFTER I was already in bed!!!! Talk about not being in control.

I am guessing my trigger is bread and, therfore, I am going to try and stay away from that as much as I can because I can not possibly do that to myself again. It was like watching a movie of myself and being totally disgusted with what I saw yet not being able to stop it.

I think this week I am going to reintroduce some whole grain pasta one day and see what happens. God help me..!!!

Flour is a huge issue for many of us and I am one of them.
I strongly suggest that you do not go for the whole grain pasta as it is still from grain processed into flour.
Go for starchy veggies for now....hold off on any flour for a few weeks.
Ask me first next time!!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-03-11, 07:43

Plan: Vegetarian Low GI
Stats: 188/179.8/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 13%

That's why I'm staying away from bread in Phase 2 :-). I think it will be a huge trigger for me. However, I don't find that fruit is a trigger for me. I like fruit but I don't LOVE it, so I can have 1 or 2 servings a day and not have it trigger carb cravings or a binge. I think that whole grains will be the same (like 1/2 cup brown rice with my chili) but for now I'm sticking with fruit and seeing how that goes.

It's funny how different foods trigger different people. My mom, for example, absolutely loves fruit and she can eat pounds and pounds of it (and now that the summer fruits have started coming in, she is partying :-D).

Tam
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-03-11, 09:04
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammay
That's why I'm staying away from bread in Phase 2 :-). I think it will be a huge trigger for me. However, I don't find that fruit is a trigger for me. I like fruit but I don't LOVE it, so I can have 1 or 2 servings a day and not have it trigger carb cravings or a binge. I think that whole grains will be the same (like 1/2 cup brown rice with my chili) but for now I'm sticking with fruit and seeing how that goes.

It's funny how different foods trigger different people. My mom, for example, absolutely loves fruit and she can eat pounds and pounds of it (and now that the summer fruits have started coming in, she is partying :-D).

Tam

Very smart fo you to stay away from any bread at all.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jun-04-11, 19:23

Plan: Primal-ish
Stats: 212/181/150 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israeli
BOY DO I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT BIG TIME!!!

I discovered my trigger is any sweets.

I was doing great, losing well.
Had NO cravings.

Some one put a 2 inch by 4 inch piece of black forest cake
in front of me and I thought it wouldn't be a prob.
BOY WAS I WRONG!
I went on a 3 month bender after that one tiny bit.
Gained back all I'd lost and 5 pounds more.

I'm trying to lose it all now again, and its harder than ever.
That happened to me as well!! It took me 7 months to get back, except I gained back almost 30 lbs to a weight higher than when I (re)started last year. Now I know better ( I hope) to stay away from flour/sugar).
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jun-04-11, 19:28

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

I think it is not just bread...but wheat...that triggers the urge to consume mass quantities of MORE...
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jun-04-11, 20:24
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonwtwindo
I think it is not just bread...but wheat...that triggers the urge to consume mass quantities of MORE...

I agree about the wheat.
But its also true that for many of us who are very addicted, any flour, wheat or otherwise, can be a pathway to destruction.

I can tell you that this was very true for me 7 years ago when I started out. I didn't have any flour at all for 18 months...even the whole grain flour that South Beach recommends. My experience with flour is that it inhibits weight loss in general.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jun-04-11, 22:03

Plan: zeroish carbs
Stats: 388/300/150 Female 66inches
BF:unfortunately
Progress: 37%

For me its grains of any sort.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jun-10-11, 08:00

Plan: LC
Stats: 189/184/120 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 7%

We raised hogs and guess what we fed to fatten them up quickly before taking them to market?

GRAIN !!

Nuff Said
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jun-10-11, 08:50
Attitude is a Choice

As a long time maintainer, the foods I had to avoid during weight loss, are the same that I still avoid in maintenance.

I still don't eat pizza due to the white wheat flour...or pasta or bagels! My 3 old favs are gone from my food plan...forever!

But I have included other types of much better choices for me in the grain dept.
Ezekiel bread- sprouted whole grain and flourless.
Wasa Heart Rye- crispbreads
popped corn, fresh from the farmer corn of the cobb
brown rice

I have done all the experiments and found that for me and my body, I do well with a small amount of whole grain in my diet. Not all in the same day, of course! But I like having the option!!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Nov-14-12, 13:34

Plan: Keto
Stats: 219/201.4/145 Female 5foot7 1/4 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dearmommy
For me its grains of any sort.

Yup, me too. Especially rice. I'm gluten free so its one of the only grains I can have, but its bad news for me.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Nov-14-12, 15:07

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 276.4/266.6/200 Female 5'8
BF:I've got some!!!
Progress: 13%

I'm all sweets! I lose control and it just goes down hill from there.

Bread I can some what deal with...but not everything else! OYE VE!
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Dec-15-12, 05:00

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/214/165 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 25%

It is good you found your trigger. now avoid it like the plague

I can control sweets easily. I could eat a brownie and stop but being on plan, I don't plan on ever eating a 'real' brownie again.

my problem is taters and breads. I look at those foods and I can trigger almost into an eating frenzy. And I never ate alot of bread before LC. but it does something to me, something bad lol

Pizza, I just scrape off the toppings. delish. it is the taste I want without the crust. Will never eat it again in my life.

everyone has to find the foods they can handle and their personal levels of amts. Now I know taters, breads, pastas, etc will never come back into my menu plan for life.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-13, 11:07

Plan: Whole Foods Atkins
Stats: 178/168/150 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress: 36%

Me too...finally the light has gone on! I did low-cab before (Atkins) but somehow thought that since potatoes and bread were acceptable as part of the higher rungs...I allowed those in pre-maintenance. Set up for a major fall. Back again heading into those same waters of maintenance and planning to skip grains and potatoes. All they trigger is one big sugar and bread carb-fest. Now how to do this the rest of my life.