Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-16-11, 13:46

Plan: Atkins/Primal
Stats: 189/161/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Awesome Pork Rind Pizza Crust!!

Posted this in another thread and figure I'd put it here too!!

The key to this, I believe, is the silicone baking mat. Nothing sticks and it comes out nice and crispy. I just picked one up at my local Safeway store in the baking section so I'm sure they're widely available.

Pork Rind Pizza Crust

Preheat oven to 325-350 deg. (depending how hot your oven runs)

1 cup finely crushed pork rinds
1/2 cup parmasan cheese (I use the 'shakey' Kraft kind)
4 eggs
Italian seasoning ( I use about 1/2 tsp or so of garlic, oregano and basil)

I also add a tbsp or two of FRESH ground flax seed for that nutty, bready taste..it also helps with binding, I believe.

Put pork rinds, cheese, flax and seasonings in a bowl and mix.

Beat eggs and add to dry ingredients. Let sit for a couple minutes.

I use a rectangle baking sheet lined with the silicone mat and plop the mixture into the middle. Get a bowl with a little warm water to "wash" your hands with as you push and spread the 'dough' evenly to the shape of the mat. It's sticky stuff and I've found manipulating it with your hands from the inside out is the easiest, most efficient way to get it to a uniform thickness. Don't be afraid of using the hand "wash" when it gets too sticky, it won't make the crust soggy.

I like my crust on the thinner side so I usually am able to get it to about 1/4-1/3 of an inch thick.

Using a fork, poke holes all over the surface of the crust.

Bake for 15 mins or until your desired doneness. I usually cook it until it's nice and deep, golden brown (usually 20-22 mins) because I like lots of veg and tomato sauce or a good pesto and I don't want it soggy.

When it's done you can put whatever your desired ingredients are on it and cook for another 20 mins or so at about 350-375 deg.

It's bloody awesome and my friends can NOT believe it's made with pork rinds!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-16-11, 13:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/125/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 150%

This is fantabulous! Thanks for creating and sharing
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-13-11, 10:34

Stats: 190/148/135 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Whoa! Gotta try this!!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-13-11, 10:41

Plan: THM
Stats: 272/216/137 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 41%

I'll have to give this a try - I made a flax one a while back that left something to be desired.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-16-11, 14:46

Plan: NANY
Stats: 330/281/170 Female 64.5 inches
BF:Mostly Fried Foods
Progress: 31%

I just made this today and was really impressed. You can use parchment paper in place of the Silpat and you can also place a piece of parchment on top of the 'dough' to roll it out with a rolling pin. It's a great basic recipe. I will be adding more Italian seasonings as well as some salt to the recipe next time, then brushing the surface with garlic-infused EVOO. The pizza even passed muster with my pickiest kid - a culinary student who doesn't dig too many of the "healthified" recipes - YET!

Thanks so much for posting this!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-17-11, 10:29

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakepro
I just made this today and was really impressed. You can use parchment paper in place of the Silpat and you can also place a piece of parchment on top of the 'dough' to roll it out with a rolling pin. It's a great basic recipe. I will be adding more Italian seasonings as well as some salt to the recipe next time, then brushing the surface with garlic-infused EVOO. The pizza even passed muster with my pickiest kid - a culinary student who doesn't dig too many of the "healthified" recipes - YET!

Thanks so much for posting this!

Awesome, isn't it!!

The thing about this recipe is you can tweak it to your own personal tastes with spices/oils/sauces. I just really like the taste/texture and the fact that it holds up to the sauce and toppings just like a reg pizza crust.

(I can only get one kind of pork rinds here and they are saltysalty so, combined with the parm, it's more than salty enough for me.)

Interesting idea with the parchment paper...did you cook it with the paper still on top? The texture of my 'dough' is soooo sticky I couldn't imagine removing the top paper after rolling it and not having it be just a complete mess. Kinda' have the other technique down now...can whip one together in less than 10 mins...

Glad to hear it 'passed' with the picky eater...like I said, my non-lc friends can not believe what it's made of...and they eat it until there's nothing left !!
Leftovers?? Never.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-17-11, 10:41

Plan: NANY
Stats: 330/281/170 Female 64.5 inches
BF:Mostly Fried Foods
Progress: 31%

I expected the pork rinds to be really salty too but the brand I picked up at Wally-world were surprisingly not salty.

No, I didn't leave the parchment on top because I didn't want to prevent browning. Spraying the top of the dough with some Pam (or even with an EVOO mister) would allow you to remove the parchment after rolling. I don't have the patience to smooth it out by hand (I roll out fondant constantly and am obsessed with perfect thickness LOL).

I can't wait to make this again! Your recipe is genius.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Feb-04-12, 11:02

BF:

Pizza night!!!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Feb-04-12, 16:26

Plan: south beach
Stats: 168/168/125 Female 4'11
BF:
Progress: 0%

This sure sounds real good,going to do this for monday night.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Feb-04-12, 18:34

Stats: 279.2/234/140 Female 5'2''
BF:decreasing
Progress: 32%

I love pizza! I think this might work better than my usual cheese crust. I think it may be more like bread.

Donna
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Feb-04-12, 19:39

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

What a great recipe!
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Feb-04-12, 20:51

Stats: 246.8/241.3/175 Female 5'7
BF:WAY TOO MUCH
Progress: 8%

Yum... sounds awesome... one question... I wonder if it would make a difference if I used shredded parmasan as opposed to the "Kraft shaker" kind.... I only have the big costco sized shredded kind,lol... I assume the cheese is more for the flavoring and not cuz the shaker kind has the same "flour like" consitancy as the crushed pork rinds??