Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Our Website > My P.L.A.N. Tool Support Forum
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-29-06, 07:41

Plan: Intermittent Fasting, LC
Stats: 242/215/130 Female 5'7.5"
BF:too/dang/much
Progress: 24%
Default Steamed chicken?

I've been using raw chicken for this, and sometimes roasted or stewed, but does anyone know the actual calorie count for this? I know it shrinks up when it's steamed. I've checked a government site too, and it's not listed as an option.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-29-06, 18:55
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bthinner!
I've been using raw chicken for this, and sometimes roasted or stewed, but does anyone know the actual calorie count for this? I know it shrinks up when it's steamed. I've checked a government site too, and it's not listed as an option.

Hi Teresa,

You are correct to use the values for raw chicken, because even though the chicken will shrink when cooked, the nutritional counts will remain essentially the same.

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-06-06, 14:30

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Was your chicken fresh or frozen before steaming? Frozen often has water added (so part of the "chicken" you are paying for is actually water/ice) so they can sell it more cheaply and make a profit. If it was frozen initially, I'd use the "stewed" value for the weight after steaming.

You can calculate how much water was added to increase the frozen package weight if they state the amount or percent of protein in it (often stated as a minimum). You'll find that the % protein in frozen chicken is lower than Netzer's or the USDA's values for fresh chicken. Fresh raw chicken has about 22g protein per 100g, whereas frozen may be 15% or 18% protein (15g + 7g water & 18g + 5g water per 100g, respectively). When you steam it, that water/ice you paid a premium for will melt/evaporate.

Last edited by deirdra : Sun, Aug-06-06 at 14:37.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-07-06, 10:12
Registered Member

Plan: gen'l low carb
Stats: 164.5/150.5/120 Female 5'4"
BF:29%
Progress: 31%

i have been wanting to steam chicken but have no idea how to do it. do you just stick a whole chicken in a giant pot of water? how long?
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-08-06, 16:15

Plan: Intermittent Fasting, LC
Stats: 242/215/130 Female 5'7.5"
BF:too/dang/much
Progress: 24%

Actually, the chinese food take out cooks it. I just figure that raw/stewed/roasted is most likely in the ball park. If I'm feeling really OCPD, I'll measure the chicken before and after steaming next time, so I'll have a percent number to work with.

As to how to steam it, I purchased a plastic steamer in Wal-Mart (will be looking for a more permanent type) for in the microwave. It only holds one breast. It has a perforated platform to put the steamee on and you fill the bottom part (it's only about a half inch) with water, close the top and microwave. It usually takes only about 5 minutes. If you wanted to try it, I'm sure you could use a metal colander over a regular sauce pan with water in it. You also need to cover it, so the steam is held in to cook whatever you're cooking. Vegetables are very good this way too.

Edited to add: I have this steamer basket too.
http://www.maxiaids.com/store/prodV...&idproduct=1001

Last edited by 2bthinner! : Tue, Aug-08-06 at 16:41.