Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 08:17
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default What do I do with this avocado?

So I bought an avocado, since I keep hearing how great they are and all this. I cut it in half and tried to eat half with some lemon juice, but it just wasn't working for me. The taste of an avocado by itself did not appeal to me! So does anyone have any suggestions of what to do with the other half before it goes bad?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 08:30
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I mix it in my salad usually... just little diced chunks of avocado with all the other veggies. I also mix it with salt pepper and lemon and use it as a spread for LC tortillas and eat it with salsa and chicken.

There is always guacamole.

try www.avocado.org/recipes

Ive tried a few from there and they are great!

Avocados are yummy, just need to get used to them. Also dont pick one that is green on the outside or too soft mushy stringy. Well, at least for me, I like the medium soft ones best.

good luck and have fun experimenting.

MJ
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 08:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/126/130 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

I am not a huge avocado fan either but I don't mind them if you mush them up with a TBSP of mayo, add some lemon pepper or a tsp of lemon plus some chili powder and mix well. That makes a guacomole and it is pretty good.

Other than that I have to eat it with shrimp salad or tuna salad. Not mixed together with it but just a small bite of avocado on the spoon with a bite of the salad also on the spoon.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 08:34

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

I looooove guacamole. Here's a recipe from the Atkins site:

Use pebbly skinned Haas avocados instead of their smooth skinned cousins, for a richer flavor. Prepare just before serving; avocados oxidize (turn brown) after theyve been cut.

3 green onions, white and 1 green part, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
1 medium tomato, chopped
2 large ripe avocados
1 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
salt
metric

1. Place onions, pepper, and tomato in a medium bowl. Slice avocados in half lengthwise, remove pits and scoop pulp into bowl with a spoon. Mash avocados coarsely with a fork.
2. Mix in lime juice and cilantro. Add salt to taste.

I love this stuff on steak, in omelettes, as a dip for pork rinds.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 08:36
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

Well, as far as that other half goes, if you managed to get the first half off without taking the seed out of the leftover half, it will keep a bit longer (covered) in the fridge.

I, too, usually use my avocado in salad, but also like them sliced by themselves with sf honey mustard dressing. Very decadent dish, to me....

Kay
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 08:39
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

My favorite guacamole variation is adding two ounces of cream cheese.

Just yesterday, I made the pate from the recipe site that MJ recommended. It was pretty good.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 08:44
Butter Tastes Better

BF:

ranch dressing also works well in guacamole.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 08:48
Low Carb Cowgirl

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 210/174/145 Female 5 ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 55%

I was wondering about avacados too. I love guacamole, and bought an avacado, topped it with sour cream and dug right in, then spit it right out. I guess I just dont know how to pick em. I read somewhere that you should press on the skin and it should slightly mush??? Obviously that didn't work for me. I did get the wrinkly hass kind, not the smooth florida one. anyone have advice for the best way to judge ripeness? should they be over ripe, under ripe?? I had one a long time ago with sour cream and loved it, but then again, I didn't pick it out either. the one I had about a month ago was awful.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 08:48

Stats: 193/179.5/160 Male 70"
BF:Lots of it!
Progress: 41%

Avocado = Guacamole = Fajitas!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 08:53
Butter Tastes Better

BF:

Quote:
I did get the wrinkly hass kind, not the smooth florida one. anyone have advice for the best way to judge ripeness?

The Hass kind is the better one to get. Make sure it isnt green but black. Yesterday I went to the store to get some but they were all green and not ready to be eaten for a few days to a week.

They should be softish but not too mushy. If you get them and they are too hard let them sit out for a day or 2, till you feel they are ready. It should be easy to slice through and scoop. Kinda like when you feel tomatoes and you press them and they are not too hard and not too soft, an avocado is the same.

Hope that helps

MJ
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 09:00
Low Carb Cowgirl

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 210/174/145 Female 5 ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 55%

thanks MJ, I know I did it wrong, cuz I had a hard time cutting it.. hehehe also it was still green, dark green, but still green. I kept thinking maybe it wasnt an avacado I ate and loved....
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 09:01
Anyone?? Bueller?

Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

I always have to sprinkle my avocado with salt. I eat it a variety of ways... sliced over eggs with hot sauce, in a tortilla wrapped with cream cheese and turkey, diced on a cobb salad, on top of a slice of lo carb toast with cheddar cheese and also as guac.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 09:07
~version 2.0~

Stats: 186/173/145 Female 62 inches
BF:YES.
Progress: 32%

I love avacado... I like them when they are soft... and if you would like them to ripen you must leave them out at room temp.... they will not ripen in the refridgerator.

I eat them with lemon juice.. and salt and a little pepper.. I also make guacamole and make taco salads...

They are Natures Butter
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 10:09

Plan: Protein Power/Paleo
Stats: 188.5/169.5/145 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:way/too/much!
Progress: 44%

I used to eat them sliced, on bread with mayo, tomatoes and salt and pepper. Yummy! Now I just leave out the bread! Or just put it in my salad.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 11:28
Registered Member

Stats: 138/133/125 Female 163cm
BF:
Progress:

You know what I love? Mexican tortilla soup. It has fried crispy tortillas in it (you could make your own with lc tortillas), avocado, and other things which I cannot remember. I'm gonna look up the recipe on the internet but it is a great way to eat avocados.....hmmm....