Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-19, 15:51
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%
Default What kind of workout to do to get different types of benefits

How much you have to exercise and what kind of workout to do to get different types of benefits (Very good, in-depth article.)

https://www.businessinsider.com/how...-fitness-2018-6

There are a lot of good reasons to fit in a workout today.

Whether you want to lose weight, combat anxiety and depression, improve memory, build endurance, or strengthen bones and muscles, exercise can help.

But depending on your goals, some types of exercise work better than others.

If you want to improve bone health, you'll want to do some sort of resistance training like weightlifting. For rapid improvements in speed or strength, a high-intensity interval program might be best. To improve brain health, aerobic exercise might be most helpful.

Some benefits are visible within a few minutes, while others can take months or years.

For sustained improvement, consistency is key. People see the most benefits if they work out on a regular basis, multiple times a week, throughout their lives.

But any form of activity can be good for you and count as exercise. Skip the elevator to take the stairs, walk a mile to the store instead of driving, or go help a friend move on the weekend. It's good for your body and brain.

Here's how much it takes for various forms of exercise to yield science-backed benefits.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-19, 18:05
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

I don't wear my Fitbit all the time, but the one I have also monitors heart rate. As an n=1, I wore it for my hour-long walk and then for my hour+ Yoga class to see what type of exercise I'm getting.

I was surprised that my heart stayed mostly in Cardio zone for the walk and exclusively in Fat Burn zone for the Yoga.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-08-19, 12:50

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawchem
For sustained improvement, consistency is key. People see the most benefits if they work out on a regular basis, multiple times a week, throughout their lives.

But any form of activity can be good for you and count as exercise. Skip the elevator to take the stairs, walk a mile to the store instead of driving, or go help a friend move on the weekend. It's good for your body and brain.

Move every day.

One of the most alarming things I once read about getting older is that many people--especially women--need assistance or need to move to assisted living far earlier than they would like simply because they lack strength to do simple household tasks. Building and maintaining strength is one of the most vital things we can do for ourselves as we get older.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-08-19, 13:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/143/125 Female 63
BF:33.2/28.7%/24%
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl8
Move every day.

One of the most alarming things I once read about getting older is that many people--especially women--need assistance or need to move to assisted living far earlier than they would like simply because they lack strength to do simple household tasks. Building and maintaining strength is one of the most vital things we can do for ourselves as we get older.

A few years ago, I started tripping when walking trails ; like over a riot in the trail. What happened was I was just falling not even catching myself before falling to the ground. That concerned me on two levels, but the most important was I wanted to have good arm strength so as not to break bones. I started a strength training program. I go once a week and sometimes twice a week. It has made a huge difference in how I feel. I think the tripping was due to balance which the training has helped too. I feel great and toning up very nice,y with my weight loss. Exercise is very important- Just Move.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-09-19, 15:50
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
I don't wear my Fitbit all the time, but the one I have also monitors heart rate. As an n=1, I wore it for my hour-long walk and then for my hour+ Yoga class to see what type of exercise I'm getting.

I was surprised that my heart stayed mostly in Cardio zone for the walk and exclusively in Fat Burn zone for the Yoga.

That's cool, I never realized yoga can burn fat!!! Those people in Yoga Fitness mag say that is all they do and they are in great shape.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-09-19, 15:54
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCer4Life
A few years ago, I started tripping when walking trails ; like over a riot in the trail. What happened was I was just falling not even catching myself before falling to the ground. That concerned me on two levels, but the most important was I wanted to have good arm strength so as not to break bones. I started a strength training program. I go once a week and sometimes twice a week. It has made a huge difference in how I feel. I think the tripping was due to balance which the training has helped too. I feel great and toning up very nice,y with my weight loss. Exercise is very important- Just Move.

This is so inspiring, I'm glad it helped your balance. I had a seriously injured foot that messed with my balance. I fell 4 times on stairs, now have arthritic shoulders, tore my bicep and trapezius.

4 years later I'm happy to be able to work my arms again and my balance is much improved as well. I had avoided working my arms and thought arthritis was a life long problem but the more flexible I get the less things hurt.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-09-19, 16:09
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawchem
I had avoided working my arms and thought arthritis was a life long problem but the more flexible I get the less things hurt.
If I go back to sugar, my arthritis pain returns. BTW, the yoga helps my arms and hands, too. I'm sleeping with a shirt with a zip pocket between the shoulder blades with 3 tennis balls in it. This keeps me from sleeping on my back (sleep apnea.) However, sleeping on my sides can hurt my arms so the yoga keeps that pain away.

The class I take is structured for people 50 and older. Can't tell how old the teacher is, but she's got salt and pepper hair so I figure about 60. Extremely fit.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Mar-09-19, 18:02
Registered Member

My gym has M/W yoga and T/Th fitness. I noticed a lot of silver hair in the classes, a guy I ran into told me it's called Silver Sneakers. He is on crutches and told me he needs it to stay fit with his condition. People with disabilities that workout inspires me no end.

The class uses chairs or mats, so people that need accommodations can participate.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Mar-10-19, 00:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/143/125 Female 63
BF:33.2/28.7%/24%
Progress: 40%

I have trouble with my back. In fact I’m having an episode right now with terrible pain on dpinevbrtween shoulder blades. I use ice. I also have an Inversion machine I use at times like this.
I have been thinking of signing up for a Yoga class. Blue Singer - it’s really working well for you. I’m glad. I’ve never done yoga.