Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-19, 09:59

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%
Default “Keto made me carb intolerant”

It’s the Daily Mail Australia, so take their “facts” with a whole salt block. This was a new approach to me: both the “carb intolerance” and the visceral fat angle.

'I looked lean, but on the inside I was obese'

And that’s IT: aside from some beefcake photos of the man in question. They didn’t even bother with some kind of half-a$$ed explanation!

But oh, the specter of CARB INTOLERANCE!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-19, 10:43

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Well, he's a very pretty young man.

But yeah, where's the explanation for the "obese inside" claim? I can't tell if he's just claiming "metabolic obesity" due to low carb, or what?

http://drewsdailydose.com/

Looks like Drew is type-1 diabetic, so carb intolerance would be a real problem--if he insists on eating carbs. For a type I--you cannot hope to mimick a working pancreas with injected insulin. Pancreatic insulin is secreted centrally, much of it is cleared by the liver, much of the work of glucose regulation achieved before the insulin hits the general circulation, and much of the insulin has been cleared by then. Peripherally administered insulin just isn't the same. The smaller the dose of insulin you need, the closer exogenous insulin comes to acting like endogenous insulin.

By his own testimony, until he substantiates the "obese within" claim, I consider Drew a poster-boy for keto for type I diabetes.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-19, 11:25

Plan: atkins/paleo/IF
Stats: 186.5/159.0/160 Male 5' 11"
BF:

He doesn't look like he has fat on the inside, no sirreee.

Isn't this just the so called Physiological insulin resistance than the low carb docs talk about? But he's injecting insulin?

Quote:
* People on a keto diet usually eat only 20–50g of carbs per day. As an example, 50g of carbohydrate is equivalent to two slices of bread and a banana.

Weird. If I ate ate a banana sandwich I don't think I would consider myself on a Keto Diet.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-19, 12:09

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:

Well that's the thing--studies do show greater insulin sensitivity in a person on a high carb, low fat diet. Generally, I don't know about type II's, really. But that depends on things like first phase insulin signalling for clearance of free fatty acids, higher levels of insulin that the pancreas itself is exposed to as ground zero prior to clearance of a lot of the insulin by the liver, that decreases glucagon secretion--and a whole lot of etc. For a type I? Greater insulin sensitivity with a working pancreas might be a mitigating factor giving some good health on a higher carb diet. But for a type I it might just be what pushes a person into hypoglycemia--or forces higher blood glucose targets to try and prevent hypos.

I'll listen to the octagenarian type 1 (Bernstein), not the kid with abs.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-19, 13:30

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

These types of articles spouting nonsense are exactly the types I ignore. Using this person's quotes and uninformed observations/conclusions to construct an article is the epitome of journalistic failure.

Keto has become a lightning rod for all types of misinformation, and it obviously threatens many.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-19, 18:29

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Quote:
'I believe there may be an entire population of keto people who are living in a state of impaired insulin sensitivity.
Yep, that's me. "Carb intolerant made me keto" would be the article's title. In other words, I do have (pre-existing) impaired insulin sensitivity and I deal with it to stay healthy by choosing to eat keto.
Quote:
Combine that with a caloric surplus and a sedentary lifestyle and they're on their way to developing pre-diabetes or even full blown type 2 diabetes.'
Combine any kind of diet with a caloric surplus and sedentary lifestyle and yeah, you may run into trouble, not just with keto.
Quote:
'Just because you have low fasting insulin levels and stable blood sugars doesn't mean you aren't insulin resistant,' he said.
Exactly right. I do keto because I am insulin resistant and keto gives me those benefits despite my insulin resistance. All without pharmaceutical interventions, too.
Quote:
'I have concerns with the modern keto diet because it's very high in saturated fat,' he said.
Fortunately I don't.