Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Success Stories
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Reply  Back to story:  A Decade on Low Carb…How I finally reached goal

View Article Article tools
  #46   ^
Old Wed, Nov-02-22, 02:09

Plan: South Beach Stillman QWL
Stats: 226/214.6/140 Female 5ft10 3/4
BF:
Progress: 13%

I couldn’t find the ebook in the link you provided. I can see the guides and the free trial but not the book. It’s probably me… I’ll have another look a bit later when I’ve more time. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Wed, Nov-02-22, 03:20

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Still works as of today.

Quote:
Are you are interested in more detail about protein leverage or protein-to-energy ratios? As a Diet Doctor member you can get my book, The P:E Diet, at a significant discount. We are offering it at a 50% discount to all Diet Doctor members. Just visit my website tednaiman.com and put in the discount code DietDoctor50 for an instant download.

Go to his website, right near top under his photo is a graphic and black button "Get the PDF e-book" then "I want this button" takes you to the GumRoad website, a typical on-line order and purchase page, where you put the Discount code, credit card, etc.

I loaded mine into the Books app on my iPad…it works well there! You can add it to most any e-book or .pdf reader, including on computer. If you have trouble, message me.

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Nov-02-22 at 03:30.
  #48   ^
Old Wed, Nov-02-22, 04:18

Plan: IF+HP+Cycling+Stillman
Stats: 148/147/130 Female 5’6”
BF:29%/27%/20%-25%
Progress: 6%

Hi Jey100,

Do you mind if I ask, do you do the daily resistance training Dr. Naiman recommends? I had adopted his other ideas a few years ago, but have never convinced myself to do daily strength training. I guess I was too influenced by bodybuilders who claim we need recovery time. Though they are probably talking about recovery from long sessions.

Thank you for generously sharing your experiences here!
  #49   ^
Old Wed, Nov-02-22, 04:54

Thought I would try to increase my resistance training this winter, but it hasn’t happened yet. Three mornings a week I go to a fitness center for slow and heavy exercises on machines, and walk about 45 minutes most every day. In summer, pool exercises that are both cardio and resistance 6 days a week. I get in a rut! I could do more nano-exercises at home anytime, planks, push-ups, etc, …but don’t.
  #50   ^
Old Tue, Nov-08-22, 04:50

Data Driven Fasting + Nutrient Optimisation. 15 months to lose 38 pounds and reach a 22 BMI, plus one more year Maintaining 150-155 pounds, Nov 6, 2021-2022. Easy long-term maintenance is result of both Training Hunger and Optimising Nutrients in your diet, plus occasional tracking: it all leads to Satiety. The short term satiation from a LCHF meal is not the same as satiety.
The DDF app and joining the Optimising Nutrition Community are free:

https://members.optimisingnutrition...YzLViZ3fNO8bMBJ

This is the P:E Diet at a liberal low carb level with "many diet breaks" usually maintaining an 6-8 hour eating window when eating whatever. I don’t obsess over a pound or two, especially when I drink wine, a guaranteed increase. Also Jan 2022 I began recording the weights from a new scale, which is a pound more than the old. If my weight approaches 155, I use the PE weight loss food list and Marty Kendall's programs. The increased protein and nutrients resolved "minor thyroid" issues...hair is now thick, nails long and strong. I’m wearing dark nail polish, the first time in a decade!
EDIT: Weds, Nov 8, 151.0 pounds, same goal on the new Renpho scale.

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Feb-14-23 at 11:08.
  #51   ^
Old Wed, Dec-21-22, 14:07

EDIT TO ADD: Dec. 2022

My Success Story on DietDoctor was one of the most popular in 2022;

Top 10 success stories of 2022 Ten amazing success stories, including Amy Eiges who now is a health coach with Dr Tro. If you think "nothing" will work for you, read this and reach out to her. She posts on Twitter often.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/top-10-i...stories-of-2022

Still maintaining through Thanksgiving but 2 pounds over the top of goal range due to Christmas drinks and cookies. I don't panic about picking up again after enjoying the holiday and losing these carby pounds.

A new DDF challenge starts on January 7th and as with every diet, already has many new folks joining up. Data Driven Fasting is the easier place to start, it doesn’t require tracking macros and micros, but there are suggestions for higher protein foods depending on your blood glucose trends.

Dec2022

Dec2009

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Feb-17-23 at 06:43.
  #52   ^
Old Fri, Dec-30-22, 15:23

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%

This is awesome! I'm happy to read you have found your n=1 path to success.
  #53   ^
Old Sat, Dec-31-22, 04:43

Thank you, Gypsybyrd, I don’t think my weight loss success is unique. Many others have realized when they stopped using a high fat Atkins/Keto food list, they increased protein and satiety, then have a better chance of reaching their ideal goal weight.

Some of the other 2022 Success stories are Higher protein as well. The plan used in my success story and summarized in my new journal https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=485372 , esp. the simple graphic in post #4, or the first page of LowEnergyDiet.com, is an easy start point because Satiety Per Calorie is taken into account. DietDoctor will have a new Satiety Score and Food Navigator in 2023 to work out every food and meal combo, that should help anyone "stalled" no matter the type of diet used.

Wishing you a happy and healthy new year!

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Jan-01-23 at 05:51.
  #54   ^
Old Tue, Feb-14-23, 07:41

Default Update

Update: Still totally healthy, no meds, now easily maintaining a 22 BMI. I noticed some body recomposition in this new photo compared to photo last July on DietDoctor. Leaner upper arms and thighs but at the same weight. Dr Naiman said in one interview allow three years to reach your goal body recomposition, but rather amazing it is happening at all…I’ll be 72 in a few days.

At my age, losing 75 pounds required a lower fat, lower carb diet. I prioritize protein and started with The P:E Diet. One gram protein per pound ideal body weight has worked great for me. I have increased nutrient dense carbs with more fibrous vegetables, berries and fruit. I added low fat milk and fermented yogurt, while reducing added fats by Optimising Nutrition. I use a personalized time restricted eating window based on Data Driven Fasting program, but minimum have 2 meals plus a snack to be able eat enough protein, vitamins and minerals for healthy aging, supporting muscle strength and bone. But when I was at my goal weight, exercise became key to maintenance and body recomposition.

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Feb-14-23 at 11:22.
  #55   ^
Old Wed, Feb-15-23, 03:21

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Update: Still totally healthy, no meds, now easily maintaining a 22 BMI. I noticed some body recomposition in this new photo compared to photo last July on DietDoctor. Leaner upper arms and thighs but at the same weight. Dr Naiman said in one interview allow three years to reach your goal body recomposition, but rather amazing it is happening at all…I’ll be 72 in a few days.

At my age, losing 75 pounds required a lower fat, lower carb diet. I prioritize protein and started with The P:E Diet. One gram protein per pound ideal body weight has worked great for me. I have increased nutrient dense carbs with more fibrous vegetables, berries and fruit. I added low fat milk and fermented yogurt, while reducing added fats by Optimising Nutrition. I use a personalized time restricted eating window based on Data Driven Fasting program, but minimum have 2 meals plus a snack to be able eat enough protein, vitamins and minerals for healthy aging, supporting muscle strength and bone. But when I was at my goal weight, exercise became key to maintenance and body recomposition.

You look great, such an inspiration for all women especially those of a certain age experiencing huge hormone changes. Well done!
  #56   ^
Old Mon, Feb-20-23, 03:30

Thank You, Nemaste! I put more info about what I have been doing the past two and a half years in my journal here yesterday. Many reactions to the photos on Twitter and the ON Community. Marty is definitely watching all the "older ladies" who do so well by increasing their protein percentage, and so Satiety per Calorie. Over 60 women could be our own data set in the ON members.

Menopausal Weight Gain: The Problem and Solution Explained
https://optimisingnutrition.com/men...ain/#more-36620
  #57   ^
Old Sat, Mar-25-23, 07:21

BF:

Hello again, I hope you are well.

So, I’m back to the boards again, looking for a permanent solution to weight loss and have decided to give the plan you recommended a good go starting tomorrow!

Over the last few years I’ve found it really difficult to drop pounds where as in times past, if I put the work in I’d normally get decent results. I had a radical hysterectomy two weeks ago but have been taking HRT for over a year. Not sure how the hysterectomy will affect my weight loss but I honestly don’t think things could get any worse… well at least I hope not.

I plan to have unlimited green veg like suggested and allow 50 carbs a day from starchy veg including beans. I will get my protein from lean cuts of meat and chicken as well as fish. I will also include low fat fermented yoghurts but wondered what you think about allowing small amounts of low fat cheese? I love cheese so hoping it’s OK as long as the fat content isn’t too high. I plan to set a calorie limit and log everything in MyFitnessPal. I have material from most of the book you recommended and have read through some of the sites you suggested. Really hope this works for me, thanks again for your advice in the past.
  #58   ^
Old Sat, Mar-25-23, 07:35

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Janet you are an inspiration. You have been one of my heros, for many many years. Also thru your sharing, I was successful at getting my mother to take a high dose of Vit D3 ( and K2) and is seeing better bone scores. Despite twice breast cancer and now colon cancer, She was outlived her own mother ,who died of breast cancer, by 20-25 years.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Sun, Mar-26-23 at 10:24.
  #59   ^
Old Sun, Mar-26-23, 09:53

Hi to you both!

Nemaste…a post in your journal.

Ms. Arielle, That's great news about your Mom. May she keep chugging along until a natural passing…what we all wish.
My oncologist orders Vit D annually now (next week) and think a bone scan is due as well. Vit D has been steadily on the high side, I don’t think about it much. It will be interesting if the focus on Nutrient Density changes the results.

In addition to starting The P:E diet, I also used the DataDrivenFasting program. You can join the ON Community for free, tons of free information, inc a 200+ page book about personalized Fasting. https://members.optimisingnutrition...m_source=manual

The challenge has a modest fee, next starts April 8.

EDIT: April 2023 update. My bloodwork continues to be great, not much change. HbA1c went down another point, so now 5.3. I’ll take that after the 5.8 and 5.9 when I ate very low carb.
Vit D drifted down to 73 since April 2021, when it was 100 and doctor suggested backing off the supplements. I depend on real Whole Foods and Sun about half the year, 5,000 Vit D added in winter. Next fall I plan to increase the supplement, maybe 7,000 as I like Vit D in the 70-100 range. Journal has more.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Apr-09-23 at 06:55.
  #60   ^
Old Tue, May-02-23, 09:06

I have focused this story on the long term results of a low carb diet; 10 years on VLC plus now 2 1/2 additional years eating a higher protein, more moderate carb, and lower fat diet. Maintenance of a 22 BMI is easy with a higher protein, nutrient dense plan. At 72, I am now most interested in body composition and bone strength. I had a DEXA Body Composition scan and used the new Spren app (see my journal Post #106, about those results and how to get the app free) to learn about my visceral fat (the more unhealthy type). Since I was overweight and not a healthy BMI before adding high protein, I assume some of this good news is related to all the positive nutrient changes to my LC diet in the past 2 1/2 years. My total body fat percentage, visceral fat volume, and the Android/Gynoid Ratio were all in a healthy/normal range for my age.

The bone mass Z-score total was a positive .2 standard deviations, so my bone density is still better than age-matched norms. My Bone Density scan T score even improved compared to the scan 2 years ago. My current results are from two new radiologists, and my oncologist cautioned that the DEXA machine programs can vary, but they improved. Risk of fracture went down, and according to the radiologist and NIH, they no longer diagnose “osteopenia" but Low Bone Mass. Great change the machine program and the Name.

2 years ago, my probability of fracture, based on FRAX, was 13.2%, now it has decreased to 9.6%. [Having good bone density, plus a good waist to height ratio, not over nor under weight and other results, goes into the FRAX scores] I give credit for at least some of this improvement to more protein, more dietary calcium, more vitamin and minerals supporting bone mass, plus weight bearing exercise…mostly walking and weight machines.

The only body comp marker that was in below normal range was my Lean Mass [but literally at the number where "Healthy" changes to Low.] I think that years of calorie restriction, including protein restriction, carb restriction so low it lead to nutrient insufficiencies, extended fasting for unproven autophagy benefits, and not enough resistance training, all have left me undermuscled. But I think in the past two and half years my strength has increased. My oncologist again said, looking at scans and bloodwork, I am the "healthiest" person in his practice.

Low lean mass makes it harder to maintain weight loss and rebuild strength. As a cancer survivor, I tried a lot of futile dietary changes…especially meat restriction, limiting dairy, and fasting. But cancer is a disease of the genome and the #1 risk factor is obesity. Some cancers relation to obesity is even in a dose-response, that is, for every +5 BMI, the risk increases by x%.

Obesity and Cancer: https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer...sity-fact-sheet.

Body mass index increases the recurrence risk of breast cancer: a dose-response meta-analysis https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35868141/

The importance of protein sources to support muscle anabolism in cancer: An expert group opinion https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34891022/

The National Cancer Institute of the NIH is an excellent resource for vetted information on Diet and Cancer. https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer...ntion/risk/diet
Some well-known cancer hospitals have science-based nutrition programs, Dana-Faber, MSKCancerCenter, MDAnderson, etc.

My goal now is to continue to maintain a 22 BMI through optimal protein, aiming to eat 1g protein per pound of ideal weight usually in three meals within an 8-10 hour period, while also trying to build some lean mass with optimal nutrition and exercise. Pool opens in 2 weeks…then I get about an hour of exercise every day.

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, May-10-23 at 06:03.

Article tools