Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Sat, Jan-29-05, 20:50

Plan: switched to low fat 4/05
Stats: 182/157/130 Female 5'5"
BF:Holding on!!!!!!!!
Progress: 48%

I would love to eat some pizza but I am afraid if i splurged then I would gain the 4 lbs back and its take a month to get those off!
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Thu, Feb-03-05, 19:00

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 58%

After a 60 pound loss, I have been stalled for a year with only an 8 pound up/down from my setpoint. Yes, it's good maintenance but NOT where I want to be. Admittedly, not every day is perfect, but most of the time I do very low carb AND count calories and I just don't seem to move the scale much.
I researched this and other sites (body building) and found out about refeeding. I tried it 4 days ago and lost 3 pounds. Yet that is still within my "pendulum range." I am going to give it a few weeks since I've already tried the other for a year. The ministryoffitness site convinced me that for my bodyfat level it should tailor the program to one day every 7 to 10 days. Also, my intake should be in simple carbs only with an emphasis on a little fruit throughout the day. Reading forums, it is clear that maltose (beer) is very effective, but unlike my husband, I don't like it.
I was coming off a very strict induction and when to sugar, fruit, & refined flour with little protein or fat. I felt a lump in my stomach for an hour after eat meal and broke out with pimples the next day. But other than that, it was okay.
I was able to get back on track the next day because AND HERE IS THE KEY TO GETTING BACK ON TRACK: I bought single servings of simple carbs, ones I had really wanted - ONLY enough for that day. There was nothing to cheat with the next day. The odd thing was that I realized that what I really want is a mix of complex carbs, fat, protein & simple carbs so the refeed day isn't my dream diet. That was eye opening.
We really need to get more testimony from others on what foods in particular have worked for them on a refeed. Also, please tell how many hours you "refed" and how often you repeated this.
  #123   ^
Old Sat, Feb-12-05, 03:07

Plan: Atkins/Modified
Stats: 126/119/104 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hi,

I'm a newbie. Restarted doing a lowcarb diet on the 4th, I've lost a total of 7 pounds so far, but now nothing's moving.
So my question is, how often do you "refeed". I've done it twice before, every ten days and it actually jump-started my weight loss again but i'm just wondering about everyone else.
  #124   ^
Old Sun, Feb-13-05, 11:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 167/156/120 Female 5'
BF:
Progress: 23%

Hi! This is my first time posting. My boyfriend and I are both LCing. We tried our first "refeed." Last night. I gained 1.2 pounds. I hope this works. I'll let you know my results.
  #125   ^
Old Sun, Feb-13-05, 12:39

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 58%
Post After two cycles

On the first cycle, I was coming off induction and did a one day carb up, didn't gain anything and after 4 days of induction lost 3 pounds. So net for the week of -3.0 pounds.
On the second cycle, I did a two day carb up, gained 4.6 pounds and after 5 days of induction lost 3.6 pounds. So net for the week of +1.0 pounds.
And a "net-net" (accounting term) of -2.0 pounds.
On the third cycle, I learned from my two day mistake and did a 1 day carb up and gained 3.2 pounds. Today I am back to induction and will update later this week.
I decided to give this a month and I will stick it out. After months and months of stall - why not? I've been all over the web and talked to the "experts" at my local health food store and there seems to be agreement that a low metabolism requires muscle building, a diet high in protein & fat (1 gram of protein for each pound of lean body mass to avoid muscle loss), and CLA supplements. Increasing metabolism requires increase leptin and, short of leptin shots, that is done by convincing the body that it is storing fat, hence the carb up on primarily simple carbs. It appears that the more body fat one has, the longer one can go between carb ups and the fewer days required for carbing up.
  #126   ^
Old Tue, Feb-15-05, 22:37

Plan: atkins
Stats: 258.5/219/199 Female 64 inches?
BF:
Progress: 66%

i had chinese food friday night. was afraid id gain but ive lost 3 pounds since then