Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-12, 19:35
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 210/193/175 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default Stall busting

It wasn't even a stall. It was just 2 months of no progress whatsoever. 20 EC and 1700 kCAL/day, a full Bikram yoga series (-750 kCAL) 3x week, and I lost maybe 4 pounds and zero inches. Seriously. I'm nowhere within shouting distance of a reasonable goal weight, and flirting dangerously with T2 diabetes, so something has to give.

So now, day 3 of the 5-day Atkins fat fast. It's pretty horrible. I bike 2 miles each way to and from the bus stop as part of my daily work commute, but have no extra extra energy and yoga is out of the question. I don't feel hungry, but am not sleeping well and wake up dreaming about food. Blech.

Oh, yeah, and I've lost 4.5 pounds. 2 days to go and then back to the luxurious normal regime! If that gets me back to no progress, I'll do a 5-day fat fast every month until I get to goal. Anyone else do this? Thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-12, 19:43

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 389.6/222.6/225 Male 6'2"
BF:24.6%
Progress: 101%

Have you ever looked at intermittent fasting? Maybe be a better option. I don't think that fat fast was designed for you
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-12, 20:23

Plan: M-F vlc, looser LC wkends
Stats: 353.6/244.8/165 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 58%

What foods are your "effective" carbs coming from, Lynn? If you're saying "effective" carbs and not "net" carbs, due to there being LC products in there that you're using, containing things such as sweeteners and wheat, (ie LC breads and sweet products),... then this could be the root cause of your lack of better results, after all of the effort you are putting in.

Net carbs is one thing.

Effective carbs is another... and that is where the slippery slope begins. "Effective carbs" listed on packages can be VERY misleading to people, as MANY individuals react to, and process, the FULL carb amount on those items.

Just a thought for you... because the wording of your post really struck me.

Good luck!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-18-12, 07:33
Registered Member

BF:
Default Thanks

Thanks for the responses. Intermittent fasting may be a better way, yes, because I hatehatehate this fat fast. It's certainly effective, though, and I wonder if a frank fast would get the ol' adipocytes moving the way this has. I'm down another pound today.

As to EC, I don't eat many processed foods at all. None, mostly. When I refer to EC, I mean for example the carbs in romaine lettuce less the fiber, or the carbs in an avocado less the fiber. Could be the problem right there. Also I consume a fair amount of protein, and that could be converting to glucose. And I probably need to up the fat-to-protein ratio overall.

Thanks again. Will keep posting on this, as others may have the same problem and benefit from these self experiments.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-18-12, 18:09
Registered Member

BF:

Great info in the "How fats shifted my stall" post. Going to finish out these 5 days and then incorporate a fat/protein/carb ratio of 70/25/5 or so, and then see how that goes.

Someone in the other thread mentioned the problem of poor sleep and dreaming about food, thank heaven. I thought that was just me being extra weird.