Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-16-05, 00:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 143/143/200 Male 6 foot 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Colon Cleanse

Has anybody tried Oxy-Powder or similar MgO-based colon cleanser? Does anybody think it will help? Will it not kill good bacteria?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-19-05, 16:19

Plan: Low Carb/Anti-Candida
Stats: 203.5/161.0/135 Female 5ft3"
BF:??
Progress: 62%

Hi the best colon cleanse that I know of for yeast is psyllium husk powder.
The yeast attaches to your colon walls and this powder expands and actually helps scrape it off the walls.
If you can't stand the texture I have found it in pill form- a little more tolerable- just drink LOTS of water too!
Hope this helps~
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-20-05, 03:34

BF:

MgO works differently. Psyllium and bulk forming laxatives are important, but MgO product oxygenate the colon and draw water in giving it a good flush. It can also remove compacted matter (which psyllium can't)

That's the way I understand it anyway! Psyllium is important!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-20-05, 03:55

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/175/158 Female 5'10"
BF:I am 5'10" tall
Progress: 57%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakumo
Has anybody tried Oxy-Powder or similar MgO-based colon cleanser? Does anybody think it will help? Will it not kill good bacteria?

Thanks!

where do you buy it, thx, Gina
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-23-05, 00:08

BF:

The two major products in the category are oxy-powder and Colosan. I got some Colosan from a local naturopath, but you can buy both quite easily online. I'm not sure how beneficial it really is. Basically, it creates water in your bowels which is how it acts as a laxative without being habit forming. It also oxygenates the bowels which (apparently) helps good bacteria and kills pathogens. I'm not sure how effective it is or how good the claims are though.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-23-05, 00:19

I just wanted to say that cascara sagrada works well for me, an herb, I am going to try to find that produck on line. I think that herb just works as a laxative. Gina
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-23-05, 02:43

BF:

I think the habitual use of laxatives is probably a mistake. MgO and fiber and not really laxatives although they achieve the same affect. They're not habit forming.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-23-05, 02:58

O.k, I am trying to find it online.............thx
  #9   ^
Old Tue, May-24-05, 02:18

BF:

Hi Gina,

Please note that I haven't tried this product and I don't know how much it helps. I was actually looking for advice, not trying to give it! Check out the oxypowder website for more info.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-24-05, 02:32

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

I cant believe you guys actually wanna put yourselves through this!!!?? Cleansing your colon?? Its not meant to be clean, its meant to be full of s**t and all the natural bacteria that goes with it.

I have a colonoscopy once a year as there is a lot of colon cancer in my family and I have to take a colon cleansing solution prior to the procedure - it tastes digusting and turns me inside out, I'm sure its made by N.A.S.A.

You crazy people!!

Jo

Jo
  #11   ^
Old Tue, May-24-05, 04:09

BF:

I have taken that solution! Klean-prep. I just took it this weekend. Wow! It took like 4 hours to start working, but THEN... Super-enema :-D
  #12   ^
Old Wed, May-25-05, 04:00

BF:

There is debate about the benefits of colon cleansing. some people say it helps them tremendously (with candida). In addition, some people say Colon Oxygenation (like with Colosan) is a great way to kill yeast. The fact is, although the Colon is meant to be dirty, some people's Colons are TOO dirty and full of impacted fecal matter that houses pathogens. The idea of cleansing is too remove it. Enemas have been considered therapeutic for decades and truly are in many situations. As to whether it will benefit you and I, I don't know. I had a colonic once and felt REALLY sick after. Some sort of detox? I don't know.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jul-28-05, 19:16
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 134/134/120 Female 5ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress:

in my view colonics have been very helpfl by a trained professional of course. You have to make sure you go to a good one tho. somecolonics have machines that ctually siuck the feces out of you which is jsut as bad as laxatives and some force tyou to hold onto water for long periosof time. the colonic woman i go to is really good they pour water in you adn ewhenever you get an urge to go they stop putting it in and let you go poop. its all about retraining your colon to work ON ITS OWN so its NOT habit forming .. a lot of older ppl do it cuz their bowles stop working. I FOUND that its expremly helpful cuz sometiems you get so impacted that no matter how healthy you eat you dont get better. I would be careful about taking laxatives... they arent good for your colon... take fiber supplements w/ everymeal to help w/ the drawbacks to this diet... and drink lots of water adn take flaxseed oil.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Aug-06-05, 07:41

Plan: raw vegan diet
Stats: 169/141/130 Female 5 ft. 8 in.
BF:
Progress: 72%

Hi, I use something from the company Unicity. It has a colon cleanse, psyllium husk mixture and antifungals. You take it for 3 months and your candida will disappear (as long as you stay on your diet). Then you do this again in about 3 months for 1 month.
I have lately been making my own psyllium husk stuff, mixed with ground flax seed and numerous other raw seeds I put through blender. Then I use celestial seasonsings "smooth move" and it cuts way down on the cost of this bowel cleanse. Then all I need is the antifungal every few months. Now that I am eating raw (once the effects of my recent antibiotic is out of my system) I expect that I will not need nearly as many doses of the antifungals.

Dr. Schultz has a colon cleanse that is supposed to scrape the bowels well too and both are in capsule form. If you look up Dr. Schultz and herbs on a search, you should find it.

The one thing I know is herbs are synergistic. IF you take a combo of herbs for candida, in most cases, it will be better, kill the yeast from several different approaches and work bettter together than each one would if taken separately. My Integrative Medicine Dr. found this little unknown company who are very good with understanding the synergy of herbs. Dr. Schultz is another one. There are many things I've used that didn't work, so watch carefully. I"ve spent thousands of dollars on this horrible little bug and now find my raw vegan diet is the most affordable way to treat it. Not thrilling, but tolerable!

This is the way I understand candida and the need for colon cleanses. Candida lines the bowel and acts like a glove. nutrients can't get in because of the sludge in the colon. Because it is so resilient, candida is hard to kill, it mutates and keeps getting more and more resistant. I have seen no resistance to this regime for me, again, as long as I stay on a extremely low carb very raw diet. The more raw foods we eat, the more alkaline our system is and the less candida likes it.

I stopped producing several different hormones, absorbing calcium, etc. and my understanding is that this is caused by this nasty bug.

We can starve candida or we can kill candida or we can nourish our bodies so well that it can no longer stay. I guess I am doing a combo of all three right now. In a garden, the more you nourish and water your plants the less pests you get. I am beginning to see it is the same with our body.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by TNTLeAnn : Sat, Aug-06-05 at 07:47.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Aug-07-05, 16:03

Plan: Nourishingtrad.& Pilates!
Stats: 190/140/140 Female 5'10
BF:14/size2/size2
Progress: 100%

Hi,
In response the OP: I first tried oxy-powder 6 months ago and it really worked for me. You are correct that it is not a laxitive and that it is not habit forming. I tried it because I did not want to use a laxitive, but I needed to clear things out a bit. (Ahem).

After the initial cleanse, you can wait 6-12 months before doing it again. I had tried psyllium husks but that did not work for me. I was truly amazed at the sludge and noxious waste that was expelled. I still cannot BELIEVE I was carrying all that around in my body.

Also- just something interesting - my husband noticed that the whites of my eyes became whiter - clear and shiny - whereas before they were not as white (though I never noticed until they were improved.) Weird, huh?

Now, of course this is a controversial issue for some people. There are those who believe there is no need to rid the body of the compacted fecal matter (some even believe there isn't anything built up in there). It''s almost as if people believe it is more "natural" to leave things alone, etc. But, refined food, including white flour and sugar, etc. are not natural and are so bad for the body. They do not digest properly and they really do clog the system. By doing a cleanse I felt I could start from square one" with my body (not exactly possible, but you know what I mean) by ridding it of the left-overs from my pre-lowcarb life.

One other thing, I too was sceptical about the idea that there is excess waste trapped in there, but after my experience I am of course a believer. The bottom line is people either 1) believe there is excess compacted waste in there and want to have it removed, or 2) don't belive there is excess waste and think people who do cleanses are nutty.

Oh well, like I said, I am so much better off now and will probably do another one in about 6 more months.