Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 15:52
Renaissance Man

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 298/197.5/185 Male 66 inches
BF:26.08
Progress: 89%
Default Finally cheated........ugh

Now I feel kind of badly about it but part of me is wondering how absurd it is to feel like I "cheated" when all I did was exceed 20 carbs by 16 carbs and those all came in the form of: 1 tomato, 2 slices of swiss cheese, an extra 1/5 of a cup of mayonaisse when I had a second tuna salad - salad.
It's not like I had bread, flour or sugar.
Oh well, I have been staying under 20 carbs since mid-April, once in awhile going over by 1 or 2 carbs when I have misjudged something and ate before entering it on FitDay. Since I have been stalled for two-and-a-half weeks anyways, I suppose it could have been worse.
Tomorrow I'll stay under 10 carbs by making it a protein day with bacon and hamburgers..........
YUCK!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 17:44

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

That wasn't cheating!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 19:12
Registered Member

Plan: Redbook Magazine
Stats: 166/144/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 85%

Dear Lasert,

Hardly cheating! (My last two days were embarrassingly high carb--too many celebrations!)

I'm curious, though--you've lost 40 lbs. How long did it take you to lose that? It can't be just since you joined the forum in July 2003 and then have stalled two and a half weeks. Could it? In any case you're doing great.

You have probably read by now that sometimes artificial sweeteners like aspartame can stall you. Or perhaps, like me on the diet--very full! Sometimes you have to eat smaller but more meals to trick your metabolism out of starvation, hence storage mode. Sometimes our bodies are just too efficient!

Good luck--sounds like you're doing fine other than feeling stalled. I'd love to know how you are doing...keep on posting!!

God Bless,

Jeanne48
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 03:26
Renaissance Man

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 298/197.5/185 Male 66 inches
BF:26.08
Progress: 89%
Default cheating-lost weight

it has taken since mid-April to lose the weight I have lost. I have had two or three episodes of stalling or reaching plateau's.
I continue to use Aspartane which may account for part of it but I am not about to ruin my life completely by giving up Crystal Light powder and the liquid is waaay too expensive for me, what with all the steak and hamburg and protein I buy these days.
Since I continued to lose slowly, I haven't worried about the Aspartane and don't plan on doing so now even if I don't lose a pound for two more weeks.
I tried drinking all of the water, and just what I wanted, and neither seemed to make any appreciable difference.
Since I feel fine and continue to walk and do my exercises at the gym twice each day, I just said to heck with it and have plunged stubbornly along.
FitDay really helps though I've found it has been easier to "customize" a lot of things like the broccoli and Romaine and zucchini etc. so that the measurement I input has the fibre carbs deducted to start with.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 14:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/140/140 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Don't Do 10 Carbs!!!

That's way too little. Do the usual 20 carbs, just stick to them. Don't worry about those extra 16 grams - you just ate more of what's allowed, basically (um. well. kinda - tomatoes aren't a good choice). Just promise yourself to stick to Induction a bit longer than 2 weeks - 'tis all you need to do.

But don't go to 10 carbs. You won't be able to fit in the necessary fiber into them.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 14:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/140/140 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hm. Just notice, you've been doing this for a while. Then above 20 carbs is not cheating at all.

Just forget it, and move on. You're doing an amazing job.