Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-22-11, 01:51

Plan: So far Atkins
Stats: 172/168/130 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress:
Default Afraid of Soy!

HI I'm new here and new to the Atkins diet..almost two weeks now. Anyway I have a lot of medical issue which makes things a little more difficult because I've been avoiding certain foods that are allowed on Atkins..such as soy. Ive never really had it much, but I see some recipies that use soy powder to bake with. Or soy milk. Which is good for me because of the fact that I can't use dairy due to chronic sinus problems. But I have read that soy is not good for Hypothyroidism which I have.
Have you found soy causes issue with you? I thought If i keep it to a minimum..Y'know maybe just eat it once or twice a week that I should be alright but I don't really know. I'm wondering what others experience with soy is.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-22-11, 11:15
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

There's other options, like coconut flour, coconut milk, unsweetened almond milk, almond meal, flax meal, peanut flour... all kinds of alternatives.

I think avoiding soy on general principle is probably not a bad idea for everyone. The estrogenic properties really disrupt stuff for some people.

I do have it in soy sauce but there's very little in that comparatively.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-22-11, 12:18

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 168/128/115 Female 5 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Atkins does not encourage soy by any means, at least in the versions of the book I have read. He did say vegetarians could use soy for the protein, though.

Many of us here try to avoid soy for the reason Nancy stated; it contains phytoestrogen--plant estrogen. This may act like estrogen in the human body... An abundance of estrogen can increase the risk of various health problems, including certain cancers.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-22-11, 16:44

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
There's other options, like coconut flour, coconut milk, unsweetened almond milk, almond meal, flax meal, peanut flour... all kinds of alternatives.

I think avoiding soy on general principle is probably not a bad idea for everyone. The estrogenic properties really disrupt stuff for some people.

I do have it in soy sauce but there's very little in that comparatively.

thanks I'll look for those alternatives you mentioned,
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-22-11, 16:52

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimesTwo
Atkins does not encourage soy by any means, at least in the versions of the book I have read. He did say vegetarians could use soy for the protein, though.

Many of us here try to avoid soy for the reason Nancy stated; it contains phytoestrogen--plant estrogen. This may act like estrogen in the human body... An abundance of estrogen can increase the risk of various health problems, including certain cancers.

I'm not sure what it said in the book. I'm going by their website. They have recipes there for different phases of the diet and after phase two it has some recipes that use soy products. So maybe they are against soy just in the first phase. But I will try to see if I can find substitutes for this substitute.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-22-11, 18:42

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I avoid soy although it is not entirely out of my lifestyle. I love black soy beans. They are a delicious rplacement from other beans or blackeyed peas. I keep at least 5 cans in the pantry and use them from time to time.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-22-11, 18:44
Independent Thinker

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 198/186/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

I avoid soy except for some Tamari occasionally. IMO, soy is not a healthy food.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-28-11, 12:45

Plan: Keto (LCHFMP) + IF
Stats: 265/188/150 Female 61 inches
BF:Highest weight 290
Progress: 67%

I switched from soy flour to flax meal, coconut flour, and almond flour. The only soy I purposely ingest is occasional tamari that has very low carbs.

For the same estrogenic reasons as listed above, plus to avoid the genetically modified soybeans.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-17-11, 21:02

Plan: atkins /low carb for now
Stats: 130/130/118 Female 5 foot 3 inches tall
BF:
Progress: 0%

I just started Armour 15mg once a day low I know I know I'm suppose to avoid soy products.MY question is does this include soy bean oil & soy lecithin in vitamin/minerals I just order some supplements and made sure they were soy free was that what I should be doing or am I being overly cautious would like to know for the next time I need vit/min .

I ordered extra virgin coconut oil what other oils can I use besides olive oil & which ones should I stay away from

THANKS
JUDY
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-11, 13:44

Plan: Ketogenic now
Stats: 277/121/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

Soy lecithin (enough to keep dry things dry) and soy oil (which doesn't have phytoestrogenic properties in it) don't bother ME. But I have been well optimized in my hypothyroid treatment for about 11 years. I do not use soy oil only because there are 'more healthful' oils to be had, and my vitamins have soy lecithin and my whey protein powder has a little....and hasn't ever bothered me. I had lost 50 pounds on my lowcarb journey right before I was finally diagnosed and treated.

Now that I've been maintaining for eight years plus....I'm up to 3.5 grains (in the winter...3 in the warmer months) ERFA Thyroid (the new reformulation of Armour with all the cellulose just didn't walk the dog for me at all) and doing well. Best of luck to you.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, May-04-11, 06:29
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 24.4/55.1/130.0 Female 47.6
BF:
Progress:

No doubt! Soy food is good for health but with in limits because Soy foods might cauase various dieases such as Thyroid Disorders and Allergies.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, May-04-11, 10:16
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I take thyroid meds and I don't fuss over consuming limited amounts of soy. I think it is only an issue if you're under treated.

15mg of armour is almost nothing at all. Why so little? Most people take at least 60mg at a very bare minimum. A more typical dose is 120mg or more.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, May-05-11, 19:28

Plan: atkins /low carb for now
Stats: 130/130/118 Female 5 foot 3 inches tall
BF:

Thanks for the response I'm on 60mg now & go back on May 17 the Dr. just started me on them when I posted this my test was in normal range but I have all the symptoms & my mother was on then I think all here life or most of it I think they are helping so I hope he keeps me on them or maybe raise them some I'm on nature Armour so that's why I asked about the soy the prescription said to avoid soy products so that is what I'm trying to do

JUDY
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Sep-15-11, 21:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/200/160 Female 65"
BF:

Soy inhibits the thyroid, so if you already have hypothyroidism, you need to avoid it at all costs. Dr. Oz used to promote soy zealously and now he has retracted his support for it.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Sep-19-11, 17:31

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgav
No doubt! Soy food is good for health
My own feeling is just the opposite. Soy is *not* good for health under any circumstances, though a small amount is probably not terrible. I do use tamari sauce from time to time also, and don't fret over soy lecithin in vitamins. But other than that I would not touch soy at all. Certainly not highly processed soy like tofu or those fake meat analogue products.