Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 06:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 238/211/130
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default IBS and fat?

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I've been on Atkins for just a week and am excited to have broken through a mini-plateau to have lost 4 lbs. or so. Unfortunately I'm having a problem. For some time I have been having "the runs" after eating out, and the dr. said it "sounded like" IBS to him, and prescribed a medication to take when it flares up. We did try to figure out what the trigger was and one possibility was fat.

Since beginning Atkins, just in the last week, I've had two extended bouts of this same problem (and I haven't eaten out). So my question is, for anyone who's far more of an expert than I, Is Atkins compatable with IBS if my trigger is fat? Will it perhaps ease up as I get used to it? Or could it be caused by something entirely different, just my body's way of getting used to low carb? I read Kent's link in another post and didn't really see an answer to my question there, and most of what I've seen about low-carb as it relates to IBS centers around sugars as triggers rather than fat.

Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 08:50

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 148/146/132 Female 5'61/2"
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default IBS and fat

Hi!

I have IBS and have been flopping back and forth between ways of eating for years now in an attempt to find out what the triggers are.

I can only tell you two things:

1. When I strictly adhere to low carb I'm comfortable, although taking some sort of soluble fibre (psyllium husks or citrucel or something similar helps lots).

2. I just discovered another web site strictly devoted to IBS -- not by any means low carb -- and there they say that fat is probably the main trigger for sufferers.

So now I'm really confused, because fat doesn't seem to bother me at all. For me it's grains and some dairy.

Of course I can't remember the URL, so I'll have to shut this one down and go find it!

I'll be back!

Joanna
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 08:56

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 148/146/132 Female 5'61/2"
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default I'm back with the URL!

Here it is:

http://www.eatingforibs.com/

I've ordered the book but I can't help think that the diet will be all wrong for me. I imagine myself swelling up like a balloon!!

At the same time, the woman who wrote it has suffered from IBS for years so I'm sure there's something to learn form her.

Hope you don't become as confused as I am right now!

Joanna
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 19:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 238/211/130
BF:
Progress: 25%

Thanks, Joanna. I would imagine that low carbing would be an excellent control for those whose triggers are sugar (sounds fairly common) and grains. I called my dr. today and he suggested adding fiber. He did also suggest that perhaps this is just my body's way of adjusting. I'm a little nervous about adding fiber when the problem is diarrhea. Even the pharmacist who was helping me choose a fiber product said that while it's possible it could help, it's equally possible it could go the other way. So I'm going to try the fiber and see what happens over the next week or so. My husband is really pushing me on this and wants me to even give it a month or more but he's not the one with the problem!!

Anyway, thanks for the link and the suggestion. I think IBS is such a confusing syndrome because there are as many different triggers (and combinations of triggers) as there are people. Stress, for example, doesn't phase me at all. Nor do grains or sugars. I think my problem is fat in combination with something else, because I can eat fatty fast food with no problems. It's mainly sit-down places where I have problems. But I don't know what the other trigger is. I've not had problems at home much until this last week, either, so my triggers must be triggered here!

Good luck!