Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-12, 08:17

Plan: Ketogenic now
Stats: 277/121/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LStump
Wondering if anyone can give insite.. I asked my husbands doctor what gets tested when he does a thyroid test.. if he does anything more than just test the TSH. He said the tests they have now are 'ultra sensitive' to the hormones so a TSH is all anyone really needs now.. And after those results come back, they start on meds (if a patient needs them) and if there continue to be problems, they adjust meds accordingly... From all I read about T3 and T4, I feel like this isn't the answer for everyone and fear some people aren't being diagnosed. Anyone know about the 'new and improved ultra sensitive' (lol) test?
It seems when I ask a doc or nurse about it, they don't do the tests or mention the tests I want done.

As soon as more women with hypothyroid who don't do well on T4 alone find out he feels that way he will have a lot more time to golf and read.

And you'll have to tell him to 'not be so sensitive' over not having a lot of hypothyroid patients.

People (especially WOMEN who are the majority of Hashimoto's autoimmune hypothyroid 'victims') need to know the measurement of their hormones to be adequately replaced. The human thyroid, when it is working well, converts T4 into T3 (portion of it). When antibodies (TPO AB) have destroyed the thyroid, than the body doesn't convert the incoming T4..especially with Hashimoto's!

It's just WHY thyroid patient advocates keep lists of doctors who know more than just 'TSH TEST'. It's why I received emails and letters and phone calls from allll over the world for 23 years.

Need to get your education/knowledge. There are many very good websites out there for that, one of which is stop the thyroid madness .com
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sat, Jan-28-12, 10:46

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 345/243/200 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Just to add to this thread.. I was sitting at a standstill with my weight loss for over a year before I took responsibility for my thyroid treatment. My doctor had dosed me with 50, then 75, the 100mg(?) of synthroid. I would feel better (thinking, energy, muscle aches) for a bit, then nothing. I had my doctor do a full hyoid panel including t4, free t4, t3, rt3.. Even though my rt3 an t3 was "in range" the t3 was at the very bottom, and the rt3 was at the very top. The ratio was off. I also was well out of range with my leptin levels, which I believe to be the primary issue I am experiencing. 2 5 mcg pills per day of cytomel, one in the am and one in the afternoon did the trick. It's like I got my youth back, it made such a total difference. Also, my weight loss picked back up. I had been stuck at 325 to 345 for a year and a half.

LOL at the idea that "t3 is bad for you"..
  #48   ^
Old Mon, Feb-13-12, 10:29

Plan: Atkins classic
Stats: 270/190/160 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 73%

Hi, all. After doing Atkins for 11 months, I am seeing a return to low thyroid symptoms--cold, hair loss, brittle nails. I have an appointment to get my levels rechecked, but last time I had them tested after 6 months on the LC way of eating, I was told I did not need more of a dose. I am worrying that I may need to add carbs, and undo all the good this WOE has brought. Any thoughts?
  #49   ^
Old Mon, Feb-13-12, 20:01

Plan: Gluten Free, Low Carb
Stats: 205/200.2/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 9%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattledeb
Hi, all. After doing Atkins for 11 months, I am seeing a return to low thyroid symptoms--cold, hair loss, brittle nails. I have an appointment to get my levels rechecked, but last time I had them tested after 6 months on the LC way of eating, I was told I did not need more of a dose. I am worrying that I may need to add carbs, and undo all the good this WOE has brought. Any thoughts?

Are you in any way eating any wheat products? (low carb tortillas, pitas, etc?). I think when I consume wheat is when I get these issues. My hair is definitely thinning very badly (not just judging at the huge globs that come out in the shower), my skin is so dry that my face flakes all day no matter what or how much lotion I use, and my nails break and flake as well. Not to mention I'm as cold as the 80 pound girls I work next to (seriously 80 pounds, they're all short and very thin).. I notice if I eliminate wheat all together, things get better. I also think I have thyroid issues, but I haven't found a doctor that will listen to me when I tell them what tests I want done. Also, if you ADD carbs, it doesn't need to 'undo' the good.. You can add way more leafy greens (or juice them if you can buy a juicer online from Amazon or somewhere else for cheap) or other healthful beneficial veggies.
  #50   ^
Old Mon, Feb-13-12, 23:50

Plan: Atkins classic
Stats: 270/190/160 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 73%
Default Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LStump
Are you in any way eating any wheat products? (low carb tortillas, pitas, etc?). I think when I consume wheat is when I get these issues. My hair is definitely thinning very badly (not just judging at the huge globs that come out in the shower), my skin is so dry that my face flakes all day no matter what or how much lotion I use, and my nails break and flake as well. Not to mention I'm as cold as the 80 pound girls I work next to (seriously 80 pounds, they're all short and very thin).. I notice if I eliminate wheat all together, things get better. I also think I have thyroid issues, but I haven't found a doctor that will listen to me when I tell them what tests I want done. Also, if you ADD carbs, it doesn't need to 'undo' the good.. You can add way more leafy greens (or juice them if you can buy a juicer online from Amazon or somewhere else for cheap) or other healthful beneficial veggies.

Great suggestions! I do eat the Atkins bars for breakfast, so maybe that is the cause. And adding good veggie carbs does seem to be a moderate step before giving up on low curb entirely. Thanks for the advice, it is much appreciated.
  #51   ^
Old Tue, Feb-14-12, 10:53
Looking 4 Onederland

Plan: Atkins '72, IF
Stats: 284.5/200/170 Female 5' 5"
BF:Why yes it is! ;)
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattledeb

I just read a Dr Eades article that says that sometimes low carb WOE "decrease the activity of the enzyme that converts T4 (the inactive form of thyroid hormone that is released from your thyroid gland) to T3, the active form. " In which case they give their patients small doses of T3.

Dr. Eades

Scroll down a bit through the other Q & A.
  #52   ^
Old Tue, Feb-14-12, 10:55
Looking 4 Onederland

Plan: Atkins '72, IF
Stats: 284.5/200/170 Female 5' 5"
BF:Why yes it is! ;)
Progress: 74%

BTW, the exact advice Pam suggested.