Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 03:36

Plan: my own
Stats: 149/150/130 Female 159cm
BF:30%/27%/18%
Progress: -5%
Default Psyllium husks abrasive????

I read on Kents webpage that psyllium husksare abrasive to the gut lining. This goes against everything I know about the constituents of psyllium. Psyllium has a demulcent effect because of its mucilage content which is very soothing to the gut lining. I have heard that bran is highly abrasive but the constituents and actions of psyllium as reported in everything else I have read do not support it also being abrasive... is there something I am missing?? I use psyllium ( and peppermint) to control my IBS symptoms very successfully, it is the only thing that has worked for all symptoms at once.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 14:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/208/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 28%

It is more abrasive than flax or hemp. however it works like little scrub brushes to scrub your colon. I don't think that it is too abrasive if you arn't having any pain from it. I own a health food store and I constantly here people come in saying I love it its awsome and some come in and choose something else because it is abrasive. so i think it depends on your body. I would still recomend it.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 14:44

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

I've never seen psyllium growing so I'm not sure what the husks look like. I take it in the capsule form which contains what looks like brown powder. Since it absorbs water, I don't think that form would be very abrasive. I think you can buy bags of the husks and that might be more of a problem.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 12:58

Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Yup, the husks are abrasive and that is part of their job...to remove the *plaque* build up from the walls of your intestines. I used to be so sensitive that they would give me a mild sore throat but as I improved my condition, the sore throats went away. I think psyllium is one of the best things to take (whole flaxseed is great because it has omega 3's in it PLUS the fiber -woohoo!).

psyllium is our friend