Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-03, 11:40
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default Splenda: "Waiting for the new king of pop"

Waiting for the new king of pop

09:28 PM CDT on Tuesday, October 21, 2003

By KATIE FAIRBANK / The Dallas Morning News

link to article (registration required)

Is Splenda in your glass?

It might be soon. America's soft-drink makers – in the biggest revolution in diet sodas since the 1980s – are trying out replacements for aspartame, the nation's most popular artificial sweetener.

The leading contender is Splenda, the brand name for a chemically engineered version of real sugar that humans can taste but can't absorb as calories.

"Clearly, the entire industry is looking and exploring other sweetener options," said Mike McGrath, president of Dr Pepper/Seven Up Inc. "Consumers are more interested in diet options than they were 18 to 24 months ago."

The Plano-based company already is using Splenda – generically known as sucralose – in two of its brands, Diet Rite Cola and Diet Royal Crown Cola. It's also considering making the switch in Diet 7Up.

"Testing is ongoing," said Michael Martin, Dr Pepper/Seven Up's director of corporate communications. "The first and foremost criteria will be taste and how that comes across to consumers." A decision is expected next year.

Coca-Cola and Pepsi also are experimenting with Splenda on a more limited basis.

The sweetener is in a Diet Coke produced in Japan and in a new canned milk drink produced by Coca-Cola called Swerve. Pepsi is using a cocktail of artificial sweeteners that includes sucralose in the Diet Pepsi Slurpees introduced this summer at 7-Eleven stores.

Industry experts say these efforts could be the start of the biggest change in the diet soft drink market since aspartame – whose best-known brand names are NutraSweet and Equal – supplanted saccharine in the 1980s.

"All the big beverage companies are looking at a range of options for using the new sweeteners on the market," said John Sicher, editor and publisher of the trade publication Beverage Digest.

Other new sweeteners that could end up in your diet soda are acesulfame potassium, also known as Ace-K; alitame and neotame.

"A bunch of new sweeteners have been approved by the FDA [Food and Drug Administration] for use in beverages," said Mr. Sicher. "Splenda is one; Ace-K and neotame have all been approved in the last several years.

"I can't predict what companies are going to do, but all of the big beverage companies are looking at a range of options for using the new sweeteners."

Splenda is the front-runner because its manufacturer, McNeil Nutritionals, a subsidiary of Johnson & Johnson, has aggressively marketed the sweetener since the FDA approved it five years ago.

"We've grown to be included in 3,000 products worldwide," said Monica Neufang, a McNeil spokeswoman.

Splenda is already the No. 1 artificial sweetener sold at supermarkets, with a 33.7 percent market share as of May 18, according to Information Resources Inc.

The longtime leader, Equal, is No. 2 with 27.2 percent of sales, and No. 3 is the saccharin product Sweet 'N Low, with 18.5 percent.

One of Splenda's chief advantages over aspartame is its taste. "Splenda is made out of sugar," said Mr. Martin of Dr Pepper/Seven Up. "It doesn't have the stigma of an aftertaste that some other artificial sweeteners have."

Beverage makers also like that Splenda reportedly retains its taste longer than most other low-calorie sweeteners.

"It has the positive attribute of stabilizing the taste profile of the beverage so the flavor lasts longer," Mr. Martin said. "With aspartame, over time the sweetener attributes degrade."

Aspartame has been the low-calorie sweetener of choice for soft-drink makers since the early '80s, when saccharin was labeled as a carcinogen after lab rats developed bladder cancer when exposed to it.

Those experiments were discredited in the 1990s when it was revealed the rats were forced to drink the equivalent of 800 cans of diet soda a day. But by then, soft drink formulas – and consumer tastes – were settled on aspartame.

Some industry experts predict manufacturers will mix Splenda with a variety of low-calorie sweeteners until they find the right formula.

"When you start to blend these sweeteners together, you can provide a product that has the closest taste profile compared to what it would be like if you used sugar," said Sebastian Bizzari, senior market analyst with SRI International of Menlo Park, Calif. "You're improving the taste of the final product, and you're most likely saving costs on sweeteners. And you're also probably improving stability."

Mr. Martin said there's also a concern that McNeil won't be able to produce enough Splenda to fill America's diet soda cans.

"The fact of the matter is there is only so much sucralose, or Splenda, that is produced because of manufacturing capacity," he said. "But we've got to have the right flavor profile. It's got to be accepted by the consumer."

E-mail kfairbank~dallasnews.com
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-03, 11:50

Plan: was Atkins now SB
Stats: 200/197.5/175 Female 5' 10"
BF:42/42/23
Progress: 10%

That would be GREAT if they started using Splenda Instead of Aspertrame!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-03, 11:51
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Interesting, but I thought the article would have mentioned many consumers' (like Atkins folks) concerns over the safety of aspartame. I guess it isn't really a factor.

I had a Diet Pepsi last time I was in the US - Bleh! It tasted awful. Then I remembered that back up here (Canada), it's sweetened with acesulfame-K and aspartame. It tastes MUCH better.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-03, 18:18

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Forget the 7Up, I want to see 'em switch Diet Dr. Pepper over. BTW, if anyone is wondering...Neotame is not truly a new sweetener. NutraSweet's patent on Aspartame expired or is expiring...So, they slightly modified Aspartame [increased the sweetness] and gave it a new name: Neotame. Drug companies do this all the time.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-03, 19:04

Stats: // Male 69 inches
BF:27%/21%/15%
Progress: -27977%

cc48510, I'm with you. Give me a diet dr pepper sweetened with Splenda and I'm there.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 16:29
Registered Member

Stats: 313/300/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotbeer
A bunch of new sweeteners have been approved by the FDA [Food and Drug Administration] for use in beverages," said Mr. Sicher. "Splenda is one; Ace-K and neotame have all been approved in the last several years.

And yet the FDA refuses to approve stevia as a sweetener, which is natural and safe. Oh yeah, how silly of me - no big profits for the chemical companies...
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 21:24

Stats: 050/029/000 Female 5ft, 8 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

No wonder you want Diet Dr. Pepper. Did you know that it has more caffeine than any other soda, including Mt. Dew? Regular Dr. Pepper doesn't come near the amount of the diet.

We have just gotten Waist Watcher's sodas at our local grocery store. They are made with Splenda and are really tasty. They have cans and 2 liter bottles and comes in about 6 different flavors.

Carol
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Dec-31-04, 14:42

Plan: None really, I'm diabetic
Stats: 170/170/150 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress:

Actually, there's still one thing that beats out Diet DrP, Coke, Mt Dew, Whatever you want

JOLT

(Nasty flavor, but god I miss that stuff when I find I need to be up all night)
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jan-01-05, 20:20
Registered Member

Plan: low low carb
Stats: 142/146/148 Male 177
BF:?/?/22%
Progress: 67%

I find aspartame sweetened foods are very appetite stimulating, while sucralose sweetened stuff is just as tasty, but satisfies my hunger much more quickly. I think the sophisticated research food manufacturers conduct clearly reveals this, so they are much more likely to go with the sweetener that people are likely to consume more of. It's probably got something to do with the phenylaninine factor in brain chemistry. No wonder aspartame seems to be often reported as weightloss stall connected. You just tend to want to, and over time succumb to, eating more. We have an aspartame/ isomalt sweetened milk chocolate bar in Australia that is spectacularly low in carbs (7g/ 100g) is absolutely delicious, and has practically no blood sugar or insulin elevating effect. But each square that melts wonderfully on my tongue seems to lead inexorably to the next....and the next... and the.... - you know what I mean?. On the other hand erythritol/ sucralose sweetened chocolate, which I enjoy the taste of so much more, is completely satisfying after a few squares. Quite apart from the wealth of other health problems aspartame is accused of (none of which I have ever experienced, so I am hardly able to comment), aspartame seems to be a food manufacturers' profit margin friend. Nevertheless it's surely a huge improvement on glycemic sweeteners, such as sugar, or honey, or fructose etc. so even if its successors like neotame rule supreme, we shouldn't complain too much.

Which makes it highly unlikely that sucralose will ever get much of a market share, because people will find it really easy to control their intake of it. But for the savvy L.C. consumers, hopefully it will always be available. I have a perverse little theory that the real reason McNeil put maltodextrin into Splenda ( and tend to restrict the availability of pure sucralose) is that it restores some of the appetite stimulating effect sucralose alone lacks.

BTW. I'm still unconvinced about stevia. Even the so called flavour improved stevioside/rauboniside extracts are disgusting (YMMV). And there is that pesky little insulin stimulating probem. Which is probably why diabetics seem to like it so much.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-09, 13:56

Plan: Atkins/sortof
Stats: 185/152/149 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:

I am loving Diet Coke with Splenda-It is so much better tasting than the Aspertame version- it is almost just like regular coke. I really hope they start using it in more sodas- Dr Pepper would be awesome!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-09, 16:01

Plan: tasty animals with butter
Stats: 170/115/110 Female 60"
BF:maintaining
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by k84man
I am loving Diet Coke with Splenda-It is so much better tasting than the Aspertame version- it is almost just like regular coke. I really hope they start using it in more sodas- Dr Pepper would be awesome!

I like it too, but find it a little too sweet.

Don't know if it's my tastebuds being repaired or what, but it only takes 1/3 the amount of Splenda to replace the sweetness of 1 Cup sugar.

Quote:
Some industry experts predict manufacturers will mix Splenda with a variety of low-calorie sweeteners until they find the right formula.
"When you start to blend these sweeteners together, you can provide a product that has the closest taste profile compared to what it would be like if you used sugar," said Sebastian Bizzari

I agree with that. Splenda combined with erythritol and Ace-K works really well.

Last edited by KarenJ : Sat, Jan-10-09 at 17:47. Reason: fixed quote thingie
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-09, 16:58

Plan: ProteinPowerLifePlan w/IF
Stats: 166/143/135 Female 62.5
BF:
Progress: 74%

Ah...
Remember the good (bad) old days - when I started LCing - 1997?

You couldn't GET Splenda in the States! You had to order it online (and not many people were online) from Canada!
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-09, 23:09

Plan: VLC
Stats: 198/150/145 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

I love Diet Rite sodas. I really hope my favorite soda, Dr. Pepper is a available in a caffeine free, Splenda sweetened variety soon.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-09, 23:58
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

You realize this thread is 5+ years old?