Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-30-19, 03:05

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default Early Time-Restricted Feeding Improves 24-Hour Glucose Levels and Affects Markers...

Early Time-Restricted Feeding Improves 24-Hour Glucose Levels and Affects Markers of the Circadian Clock, Aging, and Autophagy in Humans

From Dr. Rhonda Patrick's instagram:

A recent pilot clinical trial found that time-restricted eating within a 6-hour window and fasting for 18 hours a day for only for 4 days lowered mean blood glucose levels, increased ketones, lowered evening cortisol, elevated evening BDNF, and increased the levels of an autophagy gene by 22% compared to eating same calories and macronutrient content within a 12-hour window.

This small trial found that time-restricted eating within a 6 hour period and fasting for 18 hours lowered mean blood glucose levels particularly in the late evening and while sleeping, lowered fasting glucose and insulin in the morning, and decreased 24-hour glycemic excursions.

Time-restricted eating also increased β-hydroxybutyrate in the morning demonstrating that short-term daily fasting can modestly increase circulating ketones. It also led to higher cortisol levels in the morning and lower cortisol levels in the evening which suggests that time-restricted eating itself may affect the circadian clock.

Time-restricted eating also elevated BDNF levels in the evening. BDNF is a growth factor that promotes the growth of neurons and facilitates the repair of skeletal muscle. Time-restricted eating also increased the levels of a gene involved in autophagy by 22% suggesting that some level of autophagy may occur during the 18-hour fasting window. Autophagy is the process of clearing out damaged organelles, protein aggregates, pieces of DNA and more inside of cells and has been shown to extend healthspan in rodents.

Time-restricted eating also increased the levels of a gene called SIRT1 which is nicotinamide adenosine dinucleotide (NAD)-dependent deacetylase that promotes insulin secretion and action; upregulates fat metabolism; protects against inflammation, oxidative stress, and DNA damage; increases telomere stability, and extends lifespan in animals.

- - -

Early Time-Restricted Feeding Improves 24-Hour Glucose Levels and Affects Markers of the Circadian Clock, Aging, and Autophagy in Humans May 2019
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-30-19, 10:27

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

Thanks for sharing this! I've thought from reading other studies that autophagy is a range, not an on-off switch as it's often described ("xxx will stop autophagy cold"). This confirms that you get some increased autophagy with just a short period without meals. Maybe not the exponential increases of a two-day fast, but some important benefits.

I'm also interested in the significant difference they're finding between eTRE and eating later in the day, which is what the majority of us do--skip breakfast and eat lunch and dinner. I'm just not interested in eating when I wake up in the morning, so it works for me to eat this way. But there's growing evidence that eating later in the day isn't doing me any favors. I work from home, so I could eat earlier. It just seems weird.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-30-19, 13:30

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

If the increased gene is measured in the blood, what is it actually measuring?

I've always felt best on a 6-hr window, ~11am-5pm. If I push it earlier, it makes me hungry in the evening, which could ruin the fast. Since I go to bed at ~11pm, I don't worry about eating too close to bedtime.

Last edited by deirdra : Fri, Aug-30-19 at 13:44.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-30-19, 19:07

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

I have the same issue: the earlier I eat, the much longer the TRE window, as eating extends well into the evening, too.

12-6, or 12-2 seems to provide the most control, AND it must be low carb. Or else all hell breaks loose, with endless cravings and binging.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Fri, Aug-30-19 at 19:19.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-31-19, 09:04

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I eat brunch and early dinner to get a 4-5 hour window.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-31-19, 15:45

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
I have the same issue: the earlier I eat, the much longer the TRE window, as eating extends well into the evening, too.

12-6, or 12-2 seems to provide the most control, AND it must be low carb. Or else all hell breaks loose, with endless cravings and binging.

I don't actively restrict my eating times, but I've noticed that my natural eating pattern seems to be around 8-10 hours. I've noticed the exact opposite of you though, in that the earlier I start eating (5am when I needed to be at work at 6:30am), the sooner I usually reach a point of feeling like I don't want anything else to eat the rest of the day, even if "enough" happens at 2pm. If I don't start eating until around 8 or 9 am, I'll feel like I've had enough by 6pm.

I'll take that though - sooo much better than feeling the need to eat every hour or two all day long, and half the night.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-31-19, 19:32

BF:

Interesting. Interesting how two bodies can be so different.

Once I start eating ,I keep eating until bedtime. Shortening the window was a struggle until I found my way. Takes a bit of time to work thru the process until at a narrow TRE window.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Sep-01-19, 10:46

Quote:
Once I start eating ,I keep eating until bedtime.
Me too. I can easily go all day without eating, but I find it really hard not to eat during the evening, even after I've had a good dinner.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Sep-01-19, 18:21

BF:

Do u have a method to control the evening consumption?
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-19, 11:07

Quote:
No. I wish. The more distracted I am, the better. I usually watch TV or movies in the evening and that is not especially distracting. Sometimes if I'm doing something while I'm watching TV like the ironing or a little workout or cleaning that helps. Or if I'm working on a project or I go out or whatever, then it's not usually an issue.

I'm not really seriously hungry, I just don't feel satisfied. It's weird, because there's really no reason for that. It's mental, not physical.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-19, 11:24

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I eat only breakfast and lunch. Plus I have set an absolute rule to never eat anything after 6PM. Having this absolute rule really helps me. I've been doing this for about 3 years I believe so I don't often get the urge to eat in the evening any more but even when I do have the urge the rule kicks in and I resist. I used to be an evening snacker.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-19, 18:40

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl8
I'm not really seriously hungry, I just don't feel satisfied. It's weird, because there's really no reason for that. It's mental, not physical.

Giving up evening eating is my biggest challenge. With some work it can be done....but the operative word is "work". Eliminating breakfast is EASY....

Quote:
Plus I have set an absolute rule to never eat anything after 6PM. Having this absolute rule really helps me.

Someday I will make this a rule for me, too.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-19, 00:29

Plan: LerC, TRE, IF
Stats: 150/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I was an evening snacker, in front of the TV, or curled up with a book. So when I started on TRE, 19/5 in my case, I battled through to 5 pm, then any snacking was "in my window", and if I thought I was going to pig out, I had the early night option.

Then people on the IF forums started talking about how an earlier window was more effective (for weight management), and how bad it was to eat late at night, so I gradually moved my window earlier with an earlier cut off point, and found that as I was full at that point, I did have enough will power to stick to it.

I was relieved when I read the article that "early" did not mean breakfast and that my current noon to 2 pm window qualifies.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Sep-04-19, 04:20

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:

I've noticed since I've addressed my anxiety issues with therapeutic niacin, the impulse still rises when stress is high. But part of getting my anxiety issues under better control is recognizing when I'm reacting to a mental state that has lots of bad coping skills attached to it.
  • I sleep better on an empty stomach. That's logical.
  • If I wouldn't eat a plate of brisket at this point, I'm not really hungry. That's my test for body feedback.
  • I choose a non-food soothing activity. If it is early enough, a fun podcast while playing a silly game on my phone calms my nervous energy. If late, I use a podcast to help me get to sleep. (Using the sleep timer means I can catch up on anything I missed the next day.)

The first step in retraining anyone's eating habits, is cultivating mindfulness. With eating disorders, we eat our feelings.

Instead of feeling them.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Sep-04-19, 09:29

BF:

Ambulo, noon to 2 is my sweet spot too. Too much carbs can cause thoughts of food and grumbling tummy. The right foods is key for me to go OMAD sucessfully.

Wearbear, all very good points. All of them.

Stress has real physioligical reasons we reach for soothing carbs. Finding new methods of management increases sucess rates.