Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 07:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 14/13/12 Male 6'2
BF:
Progress:
Question New LCer - a little help?

Hello Low Carbers!

I have been following the Atkins Low Carb diet for a few weeks now. I am over the moon with my results as I have lost almost a stone in 2 weeks. I do have a couple of questions though which some of you may be able to help me with.

I've noticed that many of you don't go for the low carb produts - why is this? Have I done wrong by binging out on the Morning Shine Bars? Typically, I have been having an Atkins shake for breakfast and perhaps a bar to sustain me until Lunch. Lunch has then consisted of a chicken salad, cheese, bacon, mayo and perhaps another LC bar, and dinner is generally meat (chicken/Beef/pork in different variations) and salad.

I've even been drinking alcahol at the weekends and am still finding the weight is coming off steadily.

I have been losing the weight but have stalled a bit over the bank holiday weekend where I gorged on booze and crisps and sausage rolls at a party so have restarted induction for a couple of days. All seems to be going well as I am in Lyposis/Ketosis. I know this, not because I am using Lyposis strips but because I can taste it. I've been using sugar free polo's to combat potential vile breath!!

Am I doing anything wrong? The official Atkins site says that shakes and bars are permitted for induction/stage1 of Atkins.

Any advice or words of inspiration would be much appreciated. Also, as a resident of the UK, can anyone tell me where to get hold of low carb ice cream??

Thanks guys!

Stubabyuk
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 07:49

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Someone just asked about Net Carbs, you can read it here:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=182795

Some people stall on some products. You'll have to see if it will bother you...also, it's something to think of dropping for a while if you do get into a stall.

One thing about your menu is a lack of vegetables. Most people feel that vegetables are more than worth their minimal carb count. Go for the dark leafy greens especially. Lots of nutrients and I think lots of vegetables makes your body feel better about letting go of weight, "Hey, plenty of good food here. Let's relax a little."

I too drank occasionally while losing, but be aware that your body will burn alcohol instead of fat as long as it is around. My big pitfall was the mixers if I wasn't making the drink myself, lots of carbs in sugary mixers. However, the pub food usually available was very Atkins friendly, like wings and shrimp and such, so I was able to stay on plan that way.

Also, as time wears on, loss slows. People who get used to the drama of Induction often get frustrated. Don't let that happen to you. If drinking a little and the Atkins bars help you stay on your plan, then acknowledge it might slow down your loss. It can be easier to live with, and it also gives you something to drop if you get impatient.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 08:07

Stats: 14/13/12 Male 6'2
BF:
Progress:
Question Thanks!

Thanks a lot!

I do have another question and its related to caffine.

I am a big coffee drinker but have cut it out totally while doing Atkins. I have however invested in a large jar of Splenda in granual form (available in the UK but not in the US according to my trustee Atkins bible!). My question is, am I safe to resume full caffine coffee consumption as long as I am using Splena and cream? I have heard that Caffine upsets blood sugar levels but am unsure as to what that means. I have found from various sources that excessive caffine consumption can bring on cravings. As long as I can control them, will this become a problem?