Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-19-20, 13:58

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Butter is booming in the US

Butter Is Booming, Whole Milk Is Back and Dairy Is Surviving

Dietary trends come and go, but for four decades this industry has been finding ways to keep consumption growing.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/a...-dairy-survives

Quote:
With Americans staying home more than usual because of the pandemic, and doing lots of baking and cooking to pass the time, this has been a banner year for butter.

Land O’Lakes, the Minnesota-based dairy cooperative, expects to sell 275 million to 300 million pounds of the stuff this year — a 20% increase — as rising retail demand more than makes up for lost restaurant business. Nationwide, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, butter production is up 6% over the first nine months of the year and is on track to top two billion pounds for the first time since 1943.

This year’s boom is, as is apparent from the chart, part of a longer-term comeback. On a per-capita basis, Americans eat far less butter than they did in the early decades of the 20th century. But they eat more than they did in the 1980s and 1990s.

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-20-20, 08:43

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Yes, fear of fat is diminishing and the faux manufactured fats thought to be healthy in the recent past are being replaced by those that were always healthy before the low fat debacle. Combining increased fats with a SAD can be a mistake, so the reference to baking as the reason butter sales have increased as people are staying home during the pandemic could be an issue.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-20-20, 09:29

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I love butter and never liked the fake stuff.

Kerry Gold grass-fed is my choice.

Mmmmmmm good

Bob
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-20-20, 11:10

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Yes - choose wisely.

#5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-20-20, 11:31

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

We only buy kerrygold.

Did a bit of research as labels like "Amish Country" sounded good.....not. Organic is not grass fed, and grassfed is usually organic-ish.

Prices have gone UP of course.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Nov-20-20, 14:57

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I have no clue what Kerry Gold costs. Doesn't matter. It's the only butter I'll eat.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Nov-21-20, 00:46

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

A couple bars of Kerrygold is one of my regular additions to my cart when I'm stocking up on eggs at Whole Foods. Also almost always get some Primal Kitchen ketchup, Primal Kitchen or Chosen Foods avocado oil mayo. Spreading out my purchases to a couple units each time does not get even close to hoarding aka panic buying.

#8   ^
Old Sat, Nov-21-20, 09:44

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
We only buy kerrygold.

Did a bit of research as labels like "Amish Country" sounded good.....not. Organic is not grass fed, and grassfed is usually organic-ish.

Prices have gone UP of course.

We get the KerryGold in a tub.

We also buy Finlandia Butter. Sometimes you need it in that rectangular shape.

Grass fed is important to me because it has more Omega 3 and CLA.

European is important to me because my wife has a sensitivity to A1 milk products, and European is A2.

Besides for it being better for me, it tastes better too.

Bob
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Nov-22-20, 10:30

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I've gotten very fussy about my cheese, but I've discovered the expensive ones are far more satisfying. I probably break even.

This morning I had a pound of grass-fed beef as bunless cheeseburgers, but each patty had just a shaving of my goat milk crumbly cheddar. Delicious, and helps me afford this kind of indulgence
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Nov-22-20, 21:56

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
We get the KerryGold in a tub.

We also buy Finlandia Butter. Sometimes you need it in that rectangular shape.

Grass fed is important to me because it has more Omega 3 and CLA.

European is important to me because my wife has a sensitivity to A1 milk products, and European is A2.

Besides for it being better for me, it tastes better too.

Bob

Yup. Grassfed as much as possible. Kerrygold only butter just for that reason.

As for milk, only grassfed organic for my teens who like banana smoothies now and then Costs a small fortune but $6/ 2qt is on par with a pint of Ben n Jerry's. Well, it's actually better as each person gets a pint each. Grin.

My new favorite cheese is Fontina. From Italy. Cannot find any cheeses marked A1 or A2, and reading labels got tiring so gave up on limiting cheeses to A2......sure wish it was much easier to get only A2 cheeses and dairy, short of milking my own Jersey cow.

Otherwise the cream cheeses and such cannot be imported, sigh, only hard cheeses that gave been aged.

Hope more A2 cheeses/ dairy will become available soon.

Learned today "Amish butter" is a style of packaging, big roll in wax paper, implying it's the quality of fresh grass fed butter from Amish country.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Nov-22-20, 21:59

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I've gotten very fussy about my cheese, but I've discovered the expensive ones are far more satisfying. I probably break even.

This morning I had a pound of grass-fed beef as bunless cheeseburgers, but each patty had just a shaving of my goat milk crumbly cheddar. Delicious, and helps me afford this kind of indulgence

We don't use as much cheese as we used to. I like dairy products but not filled with antibiotics and not heavily grain fed......

Ya, good quality is more satisfying!!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Nov-23-20, 09:55

BF:

Easy. A2 cheese comes from Europe, Africa and Australia.

https://www.drlaurendeville.com/articles/dairy-europe/

Quote:
...In European cows (and in the cows of antiquity), as well as in all other mammals producing milk (including goats and sheep), amino acid number 67 is a proline.

But due to a genetic mutation in American cows, amino acid number 67 is a histidine. ...

If you get USA cheese/milk from Jersey cows, it's A2.

Canada is slowly migrating to A2 cows, but I wouldn't trust anything from Canada that isn't labeled A2

Bob
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Nov-23-20, 19:31

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Just make sure it's southern European, not the big British/northern European breeds we now have in America producing A1 (such as black and white Holsteins). A1 mutation originated up there someplace in Europe.
For butter probably makes no difference since mostly no proteins there, so enjoy that Kerrygold regardless of cow breed.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Nov-23-20, 21:40

BF:

A2 and A1 is all about the breed.

Holsteins, also called Fresian -holstein, is the huge black n white cow that is a super milk producer, as that has been the genetic push for many decades.

The butter fat producers are a smaller cow, and a less popular breed as they are less effecient in the commercial operations.

Sure hope to see the lesser breeds gain more traction as the cry for butterfat increases to prior levels. Sure hope this demand helps the milk producers stabilize the market.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Nov-24-20, 12:55

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

I used to purchase raw milk from a small Jersey/Gurnsey farm. He'd had all of his cows genetically tested. About nine out of each ten Jerseys were A2 (but obviously not all), so I used his list to know which cow's milk (each with her own container) to buy.