Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Apr-28-18, 06:38
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

I was struck by the content of the movie, and moved. I'm also proud of Pete Evans for continuing to step out onto that rickety limb. He's a well-known Aussie television star (My Kitchen Rules) and chef. He didn't have to use his money and risk his job to try to spread the LCHF word. Actually, I believe he's firming Paleo, but that's beside the point. He's spreading the word about using food as medicine, as cure.

As for people watching The Magic Pill:
We live in an Echo-Chamber World. The likelihood of the movie reaching an audience of non-believers is slim.
Quote:
In news media, the term echo chamber is analogous to an acoustic echo chamber where sounds reverberate in a hollow enclosure. An echo chamber is a metaphorical description of a situation in which beliefs are amplified or reinforced by communication and repetition inside a closed system. By visiting an echo chamber, people are able to seek out information which reinforces their existing views. This may increase political and social polarization and extremism. Another emerging term for this echoing and homogenizing effect on the Internet within social communities is cultural tribalism.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Apr-28-18, 06:42

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Our numbers, as beilvers is growing. THe evidence is the now vast number of commercial products available.

The biggest breakthrough will be to get the medical community on board.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Apr-28-18, 16:18

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
As I understand it, there's a whole network of diet/vitamins plans that claim they can help while charging ridiculous prices. It is these marketing schemes which has triggered the scorn about using such an approach.

Part of it is the misconception that autism happens to "normal" people and can be "cured." This is completely untrue; the autistic brain is wired differently and is usually struggling with too much input, the wrong input, and high sensitivity to the input.

I find it fascinating that protein, especially in a growing child, would turn out to be so vital. Because my own theory is that the autistic brain is always juggling all these extra functions and uses up neurotransmitters as a higher than normal rate. This could be why protein, especially meat which has all the amino acids, could make a such a difference.

I use pregnenolone for its hormone precursor and its neurotransmitter precursor qualities; it's been extremely helpful.

I'd like to provide an alternative.

There's several precedents of diseases and disorders that affect behavior, and curing the disease also returns behavior back to normal. Even on this forum, we often talk about bran fog and how it goes away once we go low-carb. Brain fog is just what we feel, but in fact it manifests itelf as behavior, i.e. work performance, focus and attention, sleep quality, social interaction, etc.

Well, at its foundation, the autism spectrum could simply be symptoms of some underlying disorder, rather than a physical difference in the brain itself. If diet alone has such a significant effect, we look at the diet and ask whether this diet is special enough that it addresses equally special brain physiology. Is a ketogenic diet that kind of special? Certainly not, it includes all the regular foods we eat on low-carb and other diets. Therefore, brain physiology in autism is not special.

Then with growth and experience, these symptoms could lead to physical differences in the brain, as the brain compensates, i.e. the brain wires itself differently. We can see this phenomenon with people who have lost use of some sense, where the brain rewires itself to take in more input from the other senses to compensate. This is kinda weird because instead of the common idea that autism is a sort of sensory overload, it would be sensory deficit. Anyways, here again, brain physiology in autism is not special.

Am I the only one who noticed this? Look again at that little girl in the movie. She has a brain disorder, and also a gut disorder. The diet that made a difference with the brain disorder, also made a difference with the gut disorder. I can't help but make the connection. The food we eat hits the gut before it hits the brain, right? Even if I don't know anything about anything, I can reasonably and easily conclude that whatever the brain disorder, it starts in the gut. Maybe it's just the food, maybe it's something else. We talk about gut bugs and their significant effects on our health, well, let's look at that too.

It's just an idea, don't take it too seriously, but when you get right down to it, it starts to make sense.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, May-31-18, 18:14
Registered Member

Plan: KETO+OMAD+EXTENDED FASTS
Stats: 450/298/180 Male 5 foot 10 inches
BF:
Progress:

I watched it a couple times and I have to say I have experienced most of that the people experienced in the Documentary. actually I could tell you many more that I have observed while doing Keto.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-18, 02:11

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

The Australian Medical Association has called for Netflix to drop the The Magic Pill from its content list, for the usual AMA-type reasons (source).
Quote:
New AMA president Dr Tony Bartone said he’s worried “vulnerable members of society” — like people with cancer — might believe some of the doco’s claims over the advice of health professionals.

“All forms of media have to take a responsible attitude when trying to spread a message of wellness,” he told Fairfax.

“Netflix should do the responsible thing. They shouldn’t screen it. The risk of misinformation … is too great.”

Dr Bartone said while cutting out one or more food groups could result in weight loss it can “make certain other conditions worse”.

Pete Evans' reply on social media:
Quote:
“Is the bigger picture for the AMA that this simple approach may actually hurt the industries that rely on a large percentage of the population being sick?

“Perhaps the bigger question to ask would be, ‘is the head of the AMA fearful of people in Australia becoming healthy?’ What would this mean to their industry,” he continued.

“Does the head of the AMA believe that eating vegetables and fruit with a side of well sourced meat/seafood/eggs to be a dangerous way of life? If so can they please share the evidence that this way of eating is detrimental to the health of human beings.”
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-18, 02:32

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Awful, but I knew that cancer segment would cause trouble. If he had just included a person who had done both standard of care and a Ketogenic Diet, of which there are many and well known, including now published case studies like this one https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29651419. it would be harder for the AMA to demand this from Netflix. Dr Fine does state in the film the potential of using Diet with standard of care (as does Dr Seyfried using his Press-Pulse method of a using Diet reducing glucose and glutamine, and pulsing the chemo/radiation) https://nutritionandmetabolism.biom...2986-017-0178-2

Quote:
Dr Bartone said while cutting out one or more food groups could result in weight loss it can “make certain other conditions worse”.

Then Netflix will also have to remove every vegetarian film, starting with What The Health and going back through years of vegan propaganda films.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Jun-03-18 at 02:46.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-18, 03:53
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Then Netflix will also have to remove every vegetarian film, starting with What The Health and going back through years of vegan propaganda films.

Indeed! Forks Over Knives also springs to mind ...
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-18, 06:54

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Awful, but I knew that cancer segment would cause trouble.

I am already seeing pushback, with a flood of articles making fun of "can you imagine some people think you can treat cancer with diet?" kinds of slants. Which is also wrong information, since treatments, and their usefulness, varies so widely; and it literally cannot hurt to eat low carb during treatment, and would seem to help a great deal.

But ridiculing the entire idea is also wrong.

Quote:

It has seeped into the culture, where Fear of Meat creates children living on snackpacks of Cheerios.
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-18, 09:41

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Freedom of speech and open sharing of views appear to be at risk in today's world. Fears and differing agenda and fears due to differing agenda and the exposure of new truths are usually at play. Denial and cognitive dissonance are art forms practiced by many today.
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-18, 11:24

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

I'm going to watch this now.

edit: Great film. Nice seeing Fung and Perlmutter and Teicholz.

Last edited by s93uv3h : Sun, Jun-03-18 at 13:12.
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-18, 13:07

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Freedom of speech and open sharing of views appear to be at risk in today's world. Fears and differing agenda and fears due to differing agenda and the exposure of new truths are usually at play. Denial and cognitive dissonance are art forms practiced by many today.

That is absolutely right. The fear of freedom of speech and the cases of suppression are growing in these days like I've never imagined could happen in a free society before!
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-18, 14:06
Registered Member

Plan: Carnivore-ish
Stats: 265/255/190 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Thank you, that was a great movie.
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-18, 14:12
Registered Member

Plan: Carnivore-ish
Stats: 265/255/190 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Our numbers, as beilvers is growing. THe evidence is the now vast number of commercial products available.

The biggest breakthrough will be to get the medical community on board.

I've been trying for YEARS to inform others that low-fat, processed, man-made "foods" are killing us. I learned it a decade ago! Luckily, I seem to have proven myself to many folks online and they actually did what I said - they researched it themselves and tried it. I know at least two people who took my advice and are eating paleo and low-carb and are extremely better off for it. Imagine how many others it has helped that have stayed silent? (There are a LOT of silent people on the internet that just read and don't comment.)

I'm SO glad it's working! If we ALL do it, keep correcting people online and on videos and our doctors - things WILL change!!
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-18, 18:53

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

The best part of the film was the two kids getting better / showing improvement. For the Hawaii, NJ, and CT segments, I wonder if those were their regular doctors, or special (LC) nutrition clinics.
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-18, 09:26

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Despite the nay-sayers, I see the explosion of low carb/keto/fasting doctors increasing. When Atkins came on the scene, a trickled followed, now we have jumped ahead by leap years. Endless numbers of professionals supporting and promoting the low carb methods.

This is my limited perception ....... praying the few spokespersons for the old ways that are ingrained and still taught will not shut down the world is round concept.

Can we have an influence on Netflix???????? Anyone know how we could send our message to Netflix to not cave??? Maybe we need to view it again and again, to show NEtflix this is a money maker for them and consquently they will keep it running.