Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Aug-15-17, 03:20

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Tucson Bill, As Jean and Meme wrote, for most of us, eating a low carb diet to lower blood glucose is pretty simple merely by removing all the sugar and starches.
Marty Kendall has applied his engineering and analytical background to find the perfect foods for his wife's T1 diabetes, endurance athletes, and other special cases by taking into account protein's impact on insulin, nutrients, etc. Terrific information but until your weight loss or BG improvements stop, a simple list of allowed foods will work for you...as it has been doing! Maybe too well
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Aug-15-17, 04:01

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I agree with Meme and Cottonpal. Especially early on, the important thing is just to follow your plan, by the book. For a lot of people, that gets them where they want to go--and for a lot of the rest, it gets them close enough to where they want to go that with some tweaks, they can get the rest of the way.

#33   ^
Old Mon, Oct-16-17, 05:53

Marty Kendall "weighs in" on the Protein Wars, which has become a bit crazy in the past few months. Like Marty, I worry that as people catch the Keto Train to Crazy Town, the "how much protein should I eat" discussion overwhelms the simple message to cut crappy carbs.

https://optimisingnutrition.com/201...vs-low-protein/

Since I want to look like Ted Naiman and not the two Keto fat boys, I've already picked sides in the protein wars, and will continue to follow Dr Westman's simple plan.

For someone who wants to rehash the battles, Marty has a long and complex post on the studies, but like Dr Westman a pretty simple solution. Great post Marty
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Oct-16-17, 06:43

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

It seems that so often a focus on macros takes precedence over a more general concern with the overall nutrient quality of a diet. Paying attention to how many carbs we eat and where they come from (real unprocessed food) is definitely important but once you get that sorted out the focus some people have on precisely how much protein or precisely how much fat in grams or percentage of diet often begins to sound like arguing about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. Keep it simple is always great advice.

As an aside I think that there is sometimes also an excessive focus on weight as if it is synonymous with health and people setting extremely low "goal weights" as if that is somehow "ideal" and then obsessing about every .1 pounds gained or lost.
Keep it simple, keep it smart, eat real food, worry, if you must worry, about health and not minutia.

I am very glad I used Marty's nutrient optimizer. I have tweaked my diet a bit, stopped worrying about protein which I have in fact increased, and decided to stop worrying about weight also since my weight seems to have stabilized at a perfectly acceptable level. Could I be thinner? yes. But why if I am perfectly healthy at the weight I am now?

An aside to my aside. I have just edited my profile to reflect my now stabilized weight rather than the thinnest I reached.

Jean
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Oct-16-17, 06:58

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I think I look more like Ted Naiman than like the "two keto fat boys," and for me, holding protein down does seem to make it easier to stay leaner. Really I think the Wars shouldn't be there, I'd never tell anybody categorically that too much protein will make them fat, but I wouldn't discourage somebody from trying a more ketogenic ratio, which usually means a little less protein, either. I can't be certain exactly why eating to more ketogenic ratios puts binging in check for me. I suspect that at lower body fat levels, it takes less insulin to get my fat cells sopping up fat and reinflating, but that's a very loose understanding.

One thing that is important, though--you can't guess at things with this approach. Jimmy Moore did it for a full year, during which he lost weight. Measure ketones, glucose, recorded daily. After that, he said things like "now I know sort of by sight how big a portion of this and that I should eat." Or "I didn't really like all that measuring, it seems sort of orthorexic." Anybody who has ever done a strict ketogenic ratio should know this is rubbish. If I stop weighing my meat for a couple of months, my estimate of how much is five ounces goes way off, I'm horribly disappointed for a day or two when I go to weigh out my portions. As my appetite adjusts to being in ketosis, the disappointment disappears, and I'm happy with less.

But it can go either way. Because I'm aiming at just enough protein, I don't want to get paranoid that I'm overeating protein and wind up bulletproof coffeeing my way to not enough protein.

Protein is definitely not chocolate cake. If I way overdo protein, I might be quite a bit hungrier for a day or two. Overdoing carbs will have me going for more like a week.

I love Dr. Westman's page 4 approach, but for me, it got me down to 170 pounds and no further. Easily maintained, but still a bit overweight for me. Getting down below 160 with a higher protein, lower fat approach to low carb had me binging on ridiculous things like maple syrup or hot flaxseed cereal, going keto had an immediate, obvious, and most importantly, very much repeatable reversal of this.
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Oct-16-17, 11:13

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

With protein I usually just eat until I'm full, which with a ribeye is usually half of it and I just can't eat anymore. The old rule in WW was a piece of meat about the size of the palm of your hand and I guess that's about how much I can usually eat at one sitting.
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Feb-09-18, 10:18

Plan: Reduced carb
Stats: 217/189/150 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:lots/lots/less
Progress: 42%

Having type 2 Diabetes, I have read and tried so many things to control my blood sugar. I am successful with low carb, but still had a problem with fasting blood sugar. I recently discovered Marty Kendall's blog and within a week I have lowered my fasting numbers by 70 points. His explanations are very easy for me to understand as opposed to some others who get into too much technical information for me.
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Feb-10-18, 09:21

Wow, congratulations. Great results!
  #39   ^
Old Sat, Feb-10-18, 10:23

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

The more I learn about what constitutes healthy eating practices, the more I realize it must be explained in simple terms. A simple approach will resonate most strongly with those who are following a healthy WOE and, in the process, are discovering how they personally react to a new eating approach.

Congrats, PaCarolSue! The changes you've experienced are very positive. Marty's contributions are extremely valuable to me as well.
  #40   ^
Old Sat, Nov-10-18, 04:58

Marty has developed a new easy to use calculator: Is It Keto?

Haven't had time to test his database of foods yet, or the calculator, but it looks helpful. Thanks Marty!

https://nutrientoptimiser.com/is-th...CJ8uUS-tLfU6WnY

Based on his 2015 article, The ultimate keto calculator: Harnessing the power of the food insulin index: https://optimisingnutrition.com/201..._insulin_index/
  #41   ^
Old Sat, Nov-10-18, 11:06
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Thanks for this. I've followed the link and registered for the Nutrient Optimizer. I think it will help me find balance. Hope so.
  #42   ^
Old Fri, May-01-20, 14:41

Marty continues to refine his Optimizing Nutrition approach. This new post is a good explanation why "keep calm and keto on" doesn’t work for some. A nutrient dense and low energy diet is needed for some to reach a healthy body composition and maintain a low basal insulin level. https://optimisingnutrition.com/202...e-your-insulin/
  #43   ^
Old Sat, May-02-20, 10:43

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Thanks for the link = I read it all and took the test. Despite eating carnivore, I am told I am deficient in iron.

If I recall Protein Power, the Dr Eades said we get plenty of iron from beef/meats and to not take iron supplements as we cannot get rid of excess iron without donating blood or being a menstruating woman.

This appears to be conflicting advice.

Also, what he did not talk about was the role of vitamin/mineral supplements.

Being on carnivore and not eating veggies, I supplement.
I wish he had talked about that.
  #44   ^
Old Sat, May-02-20, 11:15

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Marta Kendall's approach in general is that you should try as much as possible to get the nutrients you need from the food you eat. Only if and when that is impossible does it make sense to supplement. Here's one article he wrote on supplements:

https://optimisingnutrition.com/201...or-weight-loss/
  #45   ^
Old Sun, May-03-20, 06:08

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
Marta Kendall's approach in general is that you should try as much as possible to get the nutrients you need from the food you eat. Only if and when that is impossible does it make sense to supplement. Here's one article he wrote on supplements:

https://optimisingnutrition.com/201...or-weight-loss/

Yes, I read what he said about eating real foods to get the right combinations of macro-nutrients.

If I ate all those real foods, not only would I gain weight I would also get my inflammatory issues back. Recommended veggies give me irritable bowel syndrome.

I supplement rather than spend my life in the bathroom.