Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-10-06, 09:34

Plan: no plan - just low sugar
Stats: 230/227/130 Female 5' 2
BF:thats why Im here
Progress: 3%
Question Please answer if you know! Can a 10 1/2 yr old be diagnosed w/ PCOS?

My daughter is starting to carry weight around her middle. She is very much like me in a lot of ways and I want to have her tested for PCOS and insulin resistance before it is out of control. After years of insulin resistance, I was just diagnosed with diabetes and have a D&C scheduled this month due to constant heavy bleeding and clots, dr. suspects fibroids. I was infertile for years and sooo moody! I don't want her to suffer one day if she doesnt have to!

Thanks in advance for any info out there.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-10-06, 19:50

Plan: Less meat, more veg LC
Stats: 252/217/180 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 49%

I think a blood diagnosis would be difficult b/c hormonal blood values for children are different than those for adults, but it wouldn't hurt to ask the doctor.

It may be too early to see the cysts on the ovaries and I'm sure you don't want to subject her to a transvaginal ultrasound.

A good diet now may help her avoid the worst of PCOS. If she has a chance for IR, I would err on the side of caution and control the sugar.

Otherwise, definitely talk to the doctor.
F

Last edited by Fialka : Mon, Apr-10-06 at 20:20. Reason: typo
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-23-06, 14:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/185.5/125 Female 59 inches
BF:
Progress: 36%

Has she started her cycles? If not, you'll have to wait. If she has, are they regular?

From personal experience, I wish, that when my mother knew I was only have 3-4 periods a year from age 11 on, that she would have taken me to the doctor. I was 20 before I knew I had PCOS, very overweight (still am because I learned by accident that low carbing is an effective treatment for this condition), lots of acne and by then had also developed endometriosis.
I will be sure to pay attention when my little blessing starts....
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-27-06, 06:10

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224.5/155/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

I have 3 daughters, 2 have PCOS (so do I). I'm not so sure that you would have to wait til she started her period to find out. I'm sure someone here: Soulcysters could give you an answer. My oldest daughter just had my first grandchild (woo hoo!). It took her 7 months to conceive, and had to have a c section & found out she only has 1 ovary - go figure. She also has PCOS.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-04-07, 14:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 227/227/146 Female 62 inches
BF:UGH!
Progress: 0%

We actually have a huge thread on Soulcysters about this. Basically what was already said is accurate - unless she's started her cycles, she's too young to be tested and you really wouldn't want to suject her to the t/v u/s at this point.

Here is a thread you might want to read:
http://www.soulcysters.net/your-chi...-thread-139783/

I have three daughters and what I plan to do (need to start) is to keep them on a healthy lower carb diet similar to southbeach or the like. I don't even want them to know they're 'dieting', which they won't be anyway. If you can teach your daughter to eat properly for PCOS, you'll be giving her a great headstart towards not only healthy eating as an adult but in battling PCOS if she does indeed have it.

~K
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-04-07, 15:00
From Flab to Fab!

Plan: Fat Flush / SB
Stats: 300/225/185 Female 5ft 8"
BF:No Thanks
Progress: 65%

THE best thing you can do for your daughter to lessen the effects of PCOS if she is going to develop it, is to make sure you get her on a healthy (not extreme) LC plan, such as the low GI plan. That would be ideal for a developing girl of her age. The reason I say that is that if your daughter does have PCOS, then insulin resistence will almost certainly be there with her - getting her on a low GI plan will minimse the effects of that.
Good luck!