Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Feb-10-07, 19:08

Plan: Weight Loss Study
Stats: 203/134.2/130 Female 63 in
BF:
Progress: 94%

Lisa - Great job pushing yourself! I like your workout - not so dependent on machines. My trainer started me on machines, but we're going to work toward more free weights and functional type workouts after he gets back.

Keep up the good work!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Feb-12-07, 16:03
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Today I met with my trainer (my weekly kick-off) and had a wild and NEW workout, which was awesome.

We focused on heavy weights on various machines I hadn't tried yet...such as isolateral shoulder press and prone leg curl, etc. I don't have time to post the actual details right now, but I will as soon as I can. My trainer was impressed with some of the weight I managed, especially since I was doing 8 reps and about 4 sets each. He also made me do push-ups at the END of that workout...and I managed one set of 9 and one set of 10 for him.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Feb-12-07, 19:13

Plan: Weight Loss Study
Stats: 203/134.2/130 Female 63 in
BF:
Progress: 94%

Great job Lisa! Your new workout sounds great. Sounds like your trainer is mixing it up which should be great for your body - it won't get too used to any one routine.

So are you experienced at yoga at all? From your post it sounded like it was something you used to do? I just hope it gets easier. I was feeling sort of uncoordinated, but I'm just chalking that up to being new. How is it for you?
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Feb-13-07, 08:04
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Monday's Workout (2/12)

Here are a few more details that I jotted down. The machines are VERY new to me, and trainer was adjusting and determining what I could handle yesterday, so I'm still iffy on the actual weights I managed. (The machines we used start out with a base weight and then you add those circular weights to it on either side to create a total).

Warm-up: 10 minutes upright bike

Abs/Core - Trainer supervised and adjusted

Bridge with feet on stability ball - in motion (pulling feet back, bending knees, and contracting glutes and hamstrings) - 10 reps, 3 sets

Plank with forearms on stability ball - holding for 30 ct, 3 sets. Final set with feet on BOSU ball.

Crunches using stability ball (transfer from knees to overhead) - 25 reps, 2 sets

L-shaped crunch with heavier medicine ball - reaching for toes, 25 reps, 2 sets

"Leg lift" crunches - laying on back, holding rail with arms, lift both legs to L-shape and then pelvic tilt (lifting tush) swing legs back down to straight position (no touching floor), repeat! 10 reps, 3 sets (one without the rail - Both are Killer!)

Heavy weight set

Note: All of these began with a "no weight" warm-up and then started lower to determine what I could handle. The weight listed is where I ended up for at least the last two sets.

Chest Press (chest) - 45#, 1 warm-up set of 10 (no weight) and 3 sets of 8 with added weight

Iso-lateral row (back) - 100#+ - 1 warm-up set of 10 (no weight) and 3 sets of 8 with added weight
(machine has base weight over and above what was added)

Iso-lateral shoulder press (shoulders) - 50# total - 1 warm-up set of 10 (no weight) and 3 sets of 8 with added weight
(includes machine base weight in this estimate - this is a weak spot for me)

Squat (legs) - 100# - 1 warm-up set of 10 (no weight) and 3 sets of 8 with added weight

Leg Extension (legs/quads) - 50# 1 warm-up set of 10 (no weight) and 3 sets of 8 with added weight

Prone Leg Curl (legs/hamstrings) - 40# 1 warm-up set of 10 (no weight) and 3 sets of 8 with added weight

Pull-up - modified/assisted on machine, 3 sets of 8 (increased from last week's 3 sets of 6)

Final test: Push-ups - 1 set of 8, 1 set of 9, 1 set of 10, with rest in-between

Cardio: 30 minutes elliptical, heartrate average 145+ with random intervals

P.S. I'm writing this the day after and I'm officially quite sore!!!
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Feb-13-07, 16:49
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

You're hardcore I am impressed with your push-up abilities! Do you find them hard on your wrists at all? I think I may have one bum wrist
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Feb-13-07, 17:30

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Hi Lisa. Looks like a great work-out. Those push-ups are impressive, especially after all the other stuff you did before them. Well Done!
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Feb-13-07, 18:12
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by waywardsis
You're hardcore I am impressed with your push-up abilities! Do you find them hard on your wrists at all? I think I may have one bum wrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by galatia
Hi Lisa. Looks like a great work-out. Those push-ups are impressive, especially after all the other stuff you did before them. Well Done!

Thanks babes! I appreciate the kudos, especially from the buff likes of Galatia!

Hey Waywardsis, I know what you mean about the wrist thing, but what I found is that I need to be on cushioned pads when I do it and that helps. When I tried to do push-ups on the flat part of a BOSU ball it killed my wrists! So I had to nix that right away. I also do yoga on my own cushy mat for the same reasons. I've never been able to do stuff on hard floor or even just regular carpeting. I have a suggestion on something for you to try that I'll post here and in your journal too. If you have a stick of some kind (at the gym we have the weighted kind) and a BOSU ball (looks like a half sphere) you can grasp the bar (balanced on the ball) and do push-ups at an angle. This way you're gripping, not placing your palms flat and aggravating your wrists. Would that help? Another thought is to use a railing somewhere at an angle. We have some at our gym as well (that go around the perimiter of the stretching areas) that I use to hold on to when doing certain ab work and also to stretch and such. Oh yeah, the other similar concept would be those heavy "handle" objects I've seen...do you know the ones I mean? Basically I'm thinking anything to allow you to grip versus just press. Let me know if that helps!
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Feb-14-07, 14:11

Plan: Carb Cycling
Stats: 384/271/180 Male 73 inches
BF:73%/47%/LA
Progress: 55%
Default Inspiration

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaz8605
What an amazing story. I'm really in a different place in my life in terms of fitness and thinking how that will (hopefully) change my quest to become a Mom (i.e., a much healthier pregnancy) and then very much be a part of how I raise my children (keeping them active). It turns out our goals are very similar. You have your own inspiration...but for the record, you're inspiring me too!

Thank you for the kind words...an inspiration?? I feel far from it when I compare my life with the challenges others have defeated. I'm sure you will be a much healthier mom with the workouts you're doing these days!
I'm gonna keep going forever now that I've found my groove. I want to show my kids by example that nothing can stop you if you want something bad enough. I seem to be on the right track my oldest son is quite impress with my results so far!
Thanks again and enjoy your Valentine's Day.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Feb-14-07, 14:22
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Setting a good example for your children is the most difficult and most rewarding challenge there is, I think...and the longevity that comes with it...the return on that investment...is nearly timeless.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Feb-14-07, 14:42

I certainly agree with you and doing everything for your kids. I keep trying to challenge them on a daily bases so they will grow in every way.
I'm doing this for my health and for my son to see that he can do more than play games with his free time. Don't get me wrong he's a great kid and his an honor student but he hates doing anything physical except playing football.
Football season is over and he's gaming again. I just want him to be aware that he can exercise without it being a team effort...or maybe getting him on my LIFTING team.
I'm ranting because he is one of my challenges....he sees me working on the computer and has decided he doesn't have to be active. I tried explaining that everyone needs to be active and eat right... he says I know dad.....I think it's to shut me up only!
Oh well....we all have our challenges....next is lunch....I forgot again!!!!
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Feb-15-07, 17:36
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Ok, I just posted in my journal about everything I went through to get to the gym today. Here is the Cliff's Notes version: I was overdue as I'd planned to go yesterday but we had a "nor'easter" come through and everyone stayed put so I ended up only doing a little cardio at home. Today I desperately wanted to get out, but once again DH has my car. (His is in the shop and it won't be ready until tomorrow...grrrr!) My cousin happened to be home and was planning to go out shopping so I hitched a ride. He's notorious for being late and his SUV is old and broken down and has NO HEAT! But it was a vehicle and it got me to the gym...and I had plenty of time to do the following workout:

Warm-up: 5 minutes elliptical

Abs/Core

Bridge with feet on stability ball - in motion (pulling feet back, bending knees, and contracting glutes and hamstrings) - 10 reps, 3 sets

Plank with forearms on stability ball and feet on BOSU call - holding for 30 ct, 3 sets.

Long-lever Crunches ON stability ball WITH blue medicine call - 20 reps, 3 sets

"Leg lift" crunches (see previous post for description) - 10 reps, 3 sets

Push-ups, regular - 10 in the beginning and 10 at the end

Inchworm - At the end of the workout, 4 sets, holding stretch/plank for 15 count

Heavy weight set

Chest Press (chest) - warm-up set (30#) and 3 sets of 8 (45#)

Iso-lateral row (back) - warm-up set (45 each side added) and 3 sets of 8 (55 each side added) (machine base weight is 24# - TOTAL WEIGHT=134#)

Iso-lateral shoulder press (shoulders) - warm-up set(10# each side added) and 3 sets of 8 (20# each side added) (machine base weight is 10# - TOTAL WEIGHT=50#)

Squat (legs) - warm-up set (25# each side added) and 3 sets of 8 (60# each side added) (machine base weight is 75# - TOTAL WEIGHT=195#)

Leg Extension (legs/quads) - warm-up set (35#) and 3 sets of 8 (55#/60#)

Prone Leg Curl (legs/hamstrings) - warm-up set (30#) and 3 sets of 8 (40#)

Pull-up - modified/assisted on machine - next level up, 3 sets of 6 (level of difficulty increased)

Step-up knee raise (no hand weight) - 2 sets of 15, each leg

Cardio: 30 minutes elliptical, heartrate average 145+ with random intervals
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Feb-15-07, 18:12

Please forgive my shortness last night. I was stressing over a doctor's visit and had my head up my butt.....
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Feb-15-07, 23:30

I lived up in Plattsburg for awhile when I was seeing a doctor in Burlington.....that ferry ride was a killer during the snows!! And that cold......shoot it's like 27 here tonight and my in laws called to see if we were ok....their native Texans! I'm from Tennessee and Melanie's from here.
I know what you mean about the gym....I have to pace myself because I want to lift everything! And don't get me started with leg workouts....my quads are getting massive!! I can hack squat 450lbs and my rack at home won't hold what I can Olympic squat I have to go to the gym for that....I'm addicted!!!! Melanie said my neck is growing and my shoulders.... I know my pants have gone from a size 50 to a size 40 since this started!!!
I have smaller fat clothes to go to....but I have tossed the larger ones...never again!!
Good Night!!
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Feb-16-07, 09:25

Quote:
Crack me up about the 27 degree "freeze" man! But why I'm writing is...there is NO better exercise than tossing your fat clothes! And there is no better work for your body than weight training (IMO). Your "reveal" is going to be impressive!

I will say this, though...even though this is addicting, I'm doing it to make my life better and that includes life BALANCE so I'll always focus on building it IN to my life and not trying to build my life around it, ya know?

Happy Friday and keep it up!

I have committed time, effort and energy into making this a constant and lasting part of my life. I believe I have balanced the working out and weight loss with the knowledge that I'm learning and preparing to share with others.
All in all I think the extra drive I have come across due to the change in my physical appearance is a good thing. I still believe I'm becoming addicted to gym and the way I feel with each new pound I lift.
You have a good weekend as well and thanks for all of the kind words.....Oh by the way...sometimes I'm that flexible and more.....
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Feb-16-07, 10:02

Quote:
Oh good heavens! <conjures up all sorts of thoughts that just ain't right> Well...ummm...how to respond? I guess..."good for you!???" ROFL

Have a great weekend and let me just say there are far worse addictions in this world. Keep at it, man...it's ALL good!

P.S. I'm already planning my day tomorrow, which includes going to the gym and then coming home to work on album design the rest of the day.