Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 11:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 138/122/115 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 70%
Question Brief summary of CAD opposed to Atkins

Can anyone give me a little more info on CAD? What the difference between this and Atkins?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 12:05

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

It has already been. Look just to the right of your post to the column of Quick Links. The very first one is "Which LC plan is right for me" and contains summaries of each plan. Have fun reading.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 12:39

BF:

ok, thank you tofi
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 15:00

Plan: modified CAD
Stats: 131/122/118 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 69%

I just started in this forum, but I've been doing CAD for about three months, after coming from Protein Power, and before that, Atkins.

One thing I've noticed is that it has given me willpower for the first time in my life. (You hardly ever see CAD-ettes in the Confessions forum!)

Here is what it's been like for me (if you're wondering what it's like on a personal level).

I posted this in another forum, when I left that plan:

Been a couple months since I last posted, as I was off doing the Carboydrates Addicts diet, and having good results from it, so I lurked, but didn't feel right posting here.

Yesterday, though, curious about why some people do well at CAD and others don't, and why I was succeeding at it this time, but had quickly failed the first time I tried it; I actually logged all my food into Fitday.

My totals were: Under 60g of carboydrate, over 100g of protein, about 100g of fat, under 1700 calories (though I know we're not counting calories here!)

I think the no-snacking (in CAD) and the finish-dinner-within-one-hour rules are the "tweaks" that make [low-carb eating] work - for me, anyway. I used to think I needed to eat every two hours. But I find now that if I keep my breakfast and lunch super low in carbs, I don't get hungry between meals.

I also find that I can resist the goodies that used to lay in wait for me at work during the day, if I know I can have a nice dessert later. Those damn donuts used to talk to me from the breakroom. I'd hold out for as long as I could, then I'd lose it, and go at 'em like Bruce Willis in Die Hard III (With a Vengeance). Now I just take a donut home with me and have it after dinner. That way I just have one, and I eat it after a meal, when one is enough to satisfy me.

I credit the many months on PP and Atkins for my success at CAD. I've learned to recognize (and prefer) low carb vegetables and fruits. So I choose many of them at my "reward" meal. And the so-called "complementary" meals are a breeze to throw together, and don't seem at all unnatural, as they first did.

Anyway, for the curious, here's what I eat typically:

2 eggs, 2 sausage links
coffee with 2 oz. half 'n half

2 cups salad w/ 1 T dressing
mozzarella stick
3 oz. chicken or tuna

2 cups salad w/ dressing
3-4 oz meat or fish
1/2 cup berries w/ cream or half 'n half
beer or a glass of wine
chocolate eclair

That's the subjective answer. I love this way of eating, and I'm taking weight off, and keeping it off, after many months of losing and gaining the same five pounds over and over on other low-carb plans (because I couldn't stick to them.)
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 15:31

BF:

Thanks Evolve, great info
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 04:35
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

The CAD/CALP overview thread in this forum explains the chemistry of the plan.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 07:00

BF:

Thanks all, but I think i'll stick to the Atkins plan. I don't like the idea of "planning" a reward meal to eat a lot of carbs.
But thats just MHO.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 13:52

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 191/189/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Oh, dear, yes!
Progress: 5%

Hi, amtuamor22,
I don't eat a LOT of carbs at the Reward Meal, and didn't leave Atkins for CALP so that I could. There is an emphasis on balance here -- at least 2 cups of salad followed by 1/3 protein, 1/3 low carb veggie, 1/3 high carb food (by volume). And it all must be done within 1 hour. If I want a chocolate cake, I have to eat that much protein and low-carb veggie -- I can't eat that much!

The other big idea behind CAD/CALP is that you must "pass" the Carb. Addict's Test. If you are not a carb addict, it won't work as well. It's also excellent for people with "insulin problems."

I've lost more weight on CAD/CALP than on Atkins! And my blood pressure and blood sugars are now normal. Everyone has to discover the WOE that works best for them.

Last edited by KittenLady : Wed, Sep-10-03 at 13:53.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 14:53

Plan: Weight Watchers
Stats: 264/136/146 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress: 108%

There is no necessity to plan to eat a lot of carbs. The amount is an individual thing. It can be a glass of milk, piece of fruit, or a yummy whole grain. There's no rule that says you must eat a lot. That's not what we're all about. We're about being satisfied - physically and emotionally. That's why it's so easy to stay on without cheating and the weight comes off.

Sorry this isn't the time for you to try, but continued good luck with Atkins.

Deb
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 16:16

Plan: CALP to goal/now my plan
Stats: 188/160/155 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 85%

I agree, wholeheartedly... If you TRULY balance your reward meal, you won't be eating a lot of carbs. You'll just get to have what you like instead of being halfway satisfied with the imitations. I think of my reward meal as a trade off... I can have bread, or higher carb veggies, or dessert (very small), but I won't have all 3.. Like KittenLady--I can't eat that much at one time--to balance the portions. So the carb portions must be small... It's a good woe, at least for me, but I'm sure that it's not everyone's cup of tea. We just have to do what we feel will work for us.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 19:11
"Hopeless Romantic"

Plan: 000000000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00000
BF:
Progress: 26%

Thats exactly how I feel! I don't use my reward meal as a time to pig out but rather if I want higher carb fruit, a little ice cream or some chocolate. When you have to balance with 1/3 it can be alot of food that sometimes you just can't eat. So far its been really satisfying!!
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 09:45
Registered Member

Plan: C.A.L.P. and Bernstein
Stats: 204/176/-140 Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 8%

I agree also. I included within my reward meal yesterday some carrots and peas and was absolutely delighted to be able to do so. Not pasta or rice or chips etc. Lots of people think we binge at the reward meal but honestly, just to be able to eat some higher carb vegetables or a small dish of strawberries and cream occasionally is all the reward I want from my reward meal and I think the majority of people on this plan feel the same.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 10:04

Plan: CAD + South Beach Diet
Stats: 230/177/160
BF:
Progress: 76%

balanced rm or not ALL I CAN EAT IS A THING OF THE PAST. i enjoy starchy veg. and chcolate and icecream.