Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#136   ^
Old Mon, Sep-11-06, 11:32
Butter is Better!

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 234/220.4/160 Female 5"8.5"
BF:its back again!
Progress: 18%

EG you are amazing yourself!
Sponsored Links
  #137   ^
Old Sat, Sep-16-06, 11:01
Clueless. ODAAT.

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 290.6/290.6/180 Female 5'10"
BF:I do not care!
Progress: 0%

Hey, HP - welcome!

For me, treating my use of food like the addiction that it is helped immensely. Also, finding a way of eating that I could do ODAAT helped as well. Atkins is my way of being 'abstinent' from my carb addiction.

Then, I worked the principles of the program on that addiction and asked for my addictive behavior/cravings to be removed. They were.

That doesn't mean I'm working things perfectly, but I try to turn ALL my obsessions/addictions over daily, and that works pretty good. I'm on plan 99.99% of the time and I never cheat. I sometimes still overeat on low carb, but it beats what I was doing BEFORE. I think eating too many homemade cheddar cheese crisps is better than eating two boxes (or more) of Cheese Nips.

For me, it continues to work as long as I work it. Daily. Really. I've never been able to permanently change the way I eat or to keep off lost weight EVER until now.
  #138   ^
Old Sat, Sep-16-06, 20:03
Butter is Better!

Hi Diva, that is why i do well with this woe, i can completely eliminate things that cause cravings, and that is why it works, I can not eat sugar in moderation, never could.
  #139   ^
Old Sat, Sep-16-06, 20:12

Plan: south beach
Stats: 191/166/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress:

This is a thread I will book mark. Been a friend of Bill w for quite a few years but I have much more trouble with bread and black licorice now. Vivi
  #140   ^
Old Sun, Oct-08-06, 18:58
Clueless. ODAAT.

Yeah, it's amazing how we find other things (purposefully or not) to fill the 'void' left by booze. It should be filled by my HP, but low carb oatmeal cookies seem to sneak in there somehow at times!

Liddie, I try to explain to folks (even other friends of Bill) that carb addiction is like the other 'isms'...but they don't get it that abstinence can work for ANYTHING...

Glad you are here, Vivi!
  #141   ^
Old Mon, Oct-09-06, 04:10
Butter is Better!

Diva, a lot of my friends in the rooms did replace their alcohol with carbs, especially sweets, but are not yet ready to break yet another addiction, I myself used cigarettes at first, then quit smoking 5 years sober and the carbs came into play, now at 14 years I finally saw the carb addiction for what it was and have found this WOL to break that addiction also.
  #142   ^
Old Mon, Oct-09-06, 09:39
Clueless. ODAAT.

Well....and then there's coffee. It's probably going to be a cold day in hell before I give that up - it might make me wound up, but doesn't seem to slow my weightloss and it sure as heck didn't make me FAT.

Yeah...amazing how many bags of candy (GIANT size) go through the rooms, but it beats the alternative.
  #143   ^
Old Mon, Oct-09-06, 15:42
Butter is Better!

Yes, they can't take my coffee away from me
  #144   ^
Old Tue, Oct-31-06, 20:50
Butter is Better!

For Halloween I let Joel's mother take him trick or treating, so I avoided that candy temptation, then I went to a meeting, It was my BF's anniversary, so I took in a cake, I cut it and served it after the meeting, but didn't have any, I sent him the rest home for his kids, so it would not be here either, and the halloween candy stayed at Joels mom's house,I am pretty safe now,
  #145   ^
Old Sat, Nov-11-06, 09:53
Clueless. ODAAT.

I have a local Bill W. friend who has been struggling to low carb. Halloween ruined her, I found out last night. One dang piece of candy (she said) and I guess she's been in a mashed potato and bread free-fall since. Tough...
  #146   ^
Old Sat, Nov-11-06, 10:02
Clueless. ODAAT.

Liddie...I was reading back over the posts about candy and coffee.

At yesterday evening's meetings, I was watching people eating candy - amazing how much they put away. At the later meeting, they were actually talking about coffee addiction. Evidently, some are having panic attacks and heart palpitations. All the while sucking down multiple cups with shaking hands and shovelling in candy while talking about this.

I had to laugh...I know where the line is for me and too much coffee (after much experimentation, mind you)...it's a generous one, actually, but I don't cross it. The results are way too much like a drinking binge with resultant hangover. NO thanks.
  #147   ^
Old Sat, Nov-11-06, 14:20
Butter is Better!

You know what? not only does sugar set off major cravings for me, SA's do also, and even though I get violently ill from maltol, I can not stop eating candy with it if I start. I have had "eat well be well chocolate" sweetened with splenda without that effect, and also have no problem with walden farms or davinchi stuff, so splenda does not trigger me, and stevia is ok, but SA'a are addictive to me, as is sugar.

I have started dating a fellow from church, who also is in the rooms, we have known each other 14 years, and are very comfortable together, as we both have good sobriety, I hope we can compliment each other. I'll let you know how it goes, I like that he understands that I put God first, sobriety second, others third, and self last, and that if I am going to a meeting, he knows that is a priority to me or if i get a 12 step call, I shall go, no matter what else is going on.
  #148   ^
Old Sun, Nov-12-06, 00:51
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/induction
Stats: 225/205/175 Female 5'5
BF:?
Progress: 40%

Hi guys! Its been five years for me. Naturally,
I went straight from one addiction to the next.
Food was the bottom rung and so here I am...
seventy five pounds bigger than I have ever been
in my life. (My poor husband!) Oh well, I am over the
pity party and ready to do the work. Great idea
starting this thread. It is my one month 'b-day' on the
refined carbs! I can honestly say I am not eating
addictively for the first time since I quit drinking.
It feels really good. Love you all!
  #149   ^
Old Sun, Nov-12-06, 05:18
Butter is Better!

Great to meet you Rusti! i am 14 years Sober, but joined this site in April, I am down 51 pounds as of today! It is a way of eating I can live with, and the support all over this board is incredible!
  #150   ^
Old Sun, Nov-12-06, 21:43
Clueless. ODAAT.

Welcome, Rusti!

I'll be three years on 12-29. My LC birthday is 4-18-05 and I've lost 96 pounds using Atkins as my abstinence from my carb/food addiction. The Program works for ANYTHING! And I'm just teeming with gratitude today...HP's driving and I'm enjoying the wild ride. And hey....looks like I'm just south of you here in Wyoming!!!

Liddie, splenda (mostly use liquid) is about the only SA I can tolerate too. Stevia is ok, but I never seem to get the proportions right and end up with bitter-tasting product. Nutrasweet gives me migraines and everything else anymore just tears me up something fierce with intestinal distress. Not worth the pain and "confinement to quarters." I'm glad I was finally able to buy some sweetzfree...great, great stuff - and it doesn't make me crave at all. So I'm with you there.

Last edited by WyoDiva : Sun, Nov-12-06 at 21:49.