Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-18, 02:15
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 305/211/160 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 65%
Default Could my plan work?

What I planned on doing was doing a strict version of keto and becoming very lean. While lifting weights during my weight loss. Once I have built up muscle I would then with a muscular body introduce a regular amercian diet. Since I will have muscles will this allow me to eat the typical american diet as long as I continue to lift weights?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-18, 03:23

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

I'm confused as to what you term the "typical American diet." If you're looking to adopt the flawed recommendations of what used to be called the Food Pyramid or MyPlate, muscle mass alone won't correct for a bad diet or overcome certain food sensitivities you have. Your plan might be more effective when you learn exactly what is healthy for you to consume and stay consistently laser focused in following that approach making adjustments along the way to fine tune.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-18, 06:35

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImAllLike
What I planned on doing was doing a strict version of keto and becoming very lean. While lifting weights during my weight loss. Once I have built up muscle I would then with a muscular body introduce a regular amercian diet. Since I will have muscles will this allow me to eat the typical american diet as long as I continue to lift weights?

It could but 'you can't out lift the "fork"' as I've heard said but usually it's about running, not lifting Didn't you already try this (Regular American Diet) after your big losses? Do you attribute the gain to not being muscular enough?

I'm not knowledgeable enough but it's my guess, as one who has run up the BMI scale into super obese that I'm doomed to a life of health eating.

If you'd care to look at my experiment of reverting to a RAD (well a little overboard with the goodies) and a heap of exercise thrown in. I went from 185 to 224 in a month - yes mostly water but, for me, it's not sustainable to eat shit for a long, or even short period of time.

I'm pleased that my experiment may be of benefit to someone other than myself!

====

Source: http://downhaul.com/lowcarb/daily.txt (note: added "lbs" to weight on this post for clarification)

"Octorber 2017 carbUP Experiment" - Wheat, Sugar, some Corn, some Potatoes and Dairy
most in the form of "junk food" - somedays difficult to finish all food but "sugar" in the
form of candy, never hard to consume even after "full" - weight range 186lbs-224lbs)

Possible side effects of diet change noted during month but not limited to:
swollen fingers, ache shoulder back, puffiness, distracted, eczema arms
poor sleep, itchy crotch, feeling “older”, lower back, itchy patches on legs
more time in bed but that time was restless, bloody noses, tighter clothes

Data Below...

October 2017

KX=Ketonix, NC=Net Carb, Activity=(Type-Intensity[1-10])

Date - KX - NC - Activity (start/end weight in LBS = 185.9 - 224.2)
1001 - 69 - 76 - Windfoil-8
1002 - 74 - 69 - Low
1003 - XX - 94 - Low
1004 - 78 - 72 - Low
1005 - XX - 84 - Low
1006 - 68 - 72 - Low
1007 - 76 - 78 - WindFoil-6
1008 - 79 - 437 - WindFoil-8
1009 - 58 - 558 - Low
1010 - 62 - 548 -Low
1011 - 36 - 00 - Low 217.4 lbs
1012 - 56 - 00 - WindFoil-7 207.0 lbs
1013 - 54 - 25 - Low 199.8 lbs
1014 - 59 - 90 - Low 198.2 lbs
1015 - 55 - 362 - WindFoil-6
1016 - 55 - 400 - WindFoil-7
1017 - 67 - 869 - Low
1018 - 32 - 15 - WindFoil-7 214.4 lbs
1019 - 30 - 66 - WindFoil-7 212.4 lbs
1020 - 36 - 78 - WindFoil-8
1021 - 73 - 56 - WindFoil-8
1022 - 68 - 62 - KiteFoil-6
1023 - 72 - 68 - WindFoil-8 208 lbs
1024 - 46 - 576 - Windsurf-6
1025 - 75 - 534 - Low
1026 - 79 - 614 - WindFoil-8
1027 - 81 - 500 - Low
1028 - 68 - 618 - Low
1029 - XX - 870 - Low
1030 - 68 - 710 - Low 222.6 lbs
1031 - 77 - 725 - Low

PS Edit: But yes, that plan may work. There's no way I can know. You'll have to report your progress on it. Then we'll know if it works for you.

Peace and good fortune!

Last edited by thud123 : Thu, Aug-02-18 at 06:54.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-18, 07:08

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

It doesn't sound like a workable plan to me. I want the foods I put in my body to be foods that nourish me not poison me and what I judge to be the standard american diet is toxic not nourishing to the body. Perhaps your plan will work for you, if by work you mean keep the weight off, perhaps not, but if it does work at what cost to your overall health and well being? Plus the overwhelming experience of so many people is that if they revert back to their old ways of eating the weight just comes back on no matter what. Do as much research as you can on the benefits of low carb eating, not just weight loss benefits, but overall health benefits.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-18, 07:52

Plan: no specific plan
Stats: 177/141/147 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 120%

As far as I can tell your plan hasn't worked for anyone yet.

Your stats show you've made excellent progress, it would be horrible to give that up for cookies, bread, and pasta.

My plan is to never go back to consuming sugar or grains (I believe these are toxic). If it works for me, I may add back a bit more fruit and some beans.

Good Luck with whatever path you choose.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-18, 07:54

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

I have been giving your question some thought.

What do you want to be eating ? What do you think you will be missing out on while working hard for a healthy body??? is there are particular food you would like to have again but cannot right now??

Eating the standard amerian diet on the whole is what got us into this mess. However, most foods can be eaten in LIMITED quantities when at maintenance. Some need to go forever for many possible reasons: trigger cravings, cause binges, make you feel crappy, addiction trigger foods.

I would love to see you develop a buff bod--- and exercise. One of the MANY benefits of regular exercise is that you can eat more food. Usually more carbs, or more fats and meats.

Back to my original queston. What food will make you feel deprived during the workout phase???

( PS. After some time LCHF, I dont want sweets or breads at all. I was once a great baker..... I rarely bake now. I did make some LC allowable sweets but then didnt want those anymore. AND I discovered, if I passed on them I did not trigger a wanting for more. And the foods I loved, if I do sample, dont taste as good as I remember. Except Haagen Dazs ice cream!! lol But I can pass on that too if I stay LCHF.)
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-18, 10:13
Registered Member

BF:

Well last night I was craving snickers ice cream bars. Also cheesecake, chocolate cake. You know the usual stuff. I'm aware a lot of keto friendly versions of these are available but while its nice to have an alternative nothing can quite replace the real thing. My whole thinking of this is, if my body is very muscular. Not body builder muscular but I have moderate sized muscles. Where when I walk in a room you know I have muscles but it wouldn't be at the world class body builder level but it would be noticable.

What I was hoping is to basically cut then gain a muscular body, then if I keep lifting since I have muscles maybe I could handle carbohydrates then? Would I really become obese again and lose my muscle if I have a muscular body and still lift? At that point shouldn't I be able to eat whatever I want? If not, then what about a more liberal keto type of diet where my default is keto but if I want fast food, or ice cream, cake etc I just eat it and I should be fine since I lift weights and have muscles?
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-18, 11:55

BF:

No.
Sorry.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-18, 16:57
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Well last night I was craving snickers ice cream bars.
Used to love those, now I don't think I could stand to eat one, or even a KK donut. I think you'll find after losing the fat on low-carb your tastes will change. I also think the benefit of muscles for maintaining weight loss is overrated -- I still lift some daily to stay in shape. But "great abs are made in the kitchen."
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-18, 18:04

BF:

I have a 14 yo with a six pack--- made in the kitchen, for sure. He can cook. Hambuger, no bun, peas and a salad for lunch. I just started chicken with spagetti sauce-- no pasta. And he can swing and ax; and he can tote hay bales. His brother is gumby, lol. No muscle but he too can chop wood, etc. Not a bread eater.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-18, 19:39
Registered Member

Plan: P.L.A.N
Stats: 302/290/253 Male 187
BF:
Progress: 24%

"with a muscular body "

I would start here. It takes a massive commitment and sacrifice to become chiseled and muscular. If you are able to get there then that would be a good time to look at your food options. But thats going to be 12 months away if you start today
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-18, 20:24

BF:

Quote:
...Would I really become obese again and lose my muscle...

Depends. I doubt you'd loose muscle, might even gain but water and fat may come along as well. I believe there are plans that allow for carb "re-feeds" but they are planed, not like, "Hey, I think a Snickers would be good while I'm driving home, I'll toss a couple more reps in my next session to counter act it"

I'll take a look and see if I can find the names and sites for some. These might work better for you if you really want to pound some sugar once and a while, which is everyones right, at least until some knucklheaded sugar police start taxing and making new laws

Currently I'm stearing clear of sugar, wheat and potatoes and "working out" pretty much as often as I can in the wild. Working for me but I understand you desire to just eat some "normal" stuff once and a while.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-18, 20:29

BF:

Now I remember, there was one called 4-Hour body - has cheat day - random link I pulled up:

http://www.slowcarbfoodie.com/2012/...body-cheat-day/

All the best!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-18, 21:42
Registered Member

Plan: P.L.A.N
Stats: 302/290/253 Male 187
BF:
Progress: 24%

Here is a body building link that may interest OP. ZERO CARBS and You get a cheat day where you can indulge in the American diet. And its recommended by body builders
https://www.anabolicmen.com/vince-g...-and-eggs-diet/

* some course language*
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-18, 23:24
Registered Member

BF:

Hmm cheat days are something I never really considered. Mainly because of the fear around them being something that will lead to just carb relapse. But I seem to have the habit of eating keto on a daily basis. So having a cheat day may not be bad for me. It's better to say well just eat some ice cream then get back to keto than to resist it to the point I did where it was like some force overtook me and I'm driving to my grocery store and buying all the carby food i can. Then now after binge eating a bunch of carbs all I can think about is throwing it all away and going back to my usual keto 5 carbs a day diet.