Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-05-02, 12:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 128/124/110
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default Questions for TrainerDan!

Hi Trainerdan,

I was wondering if you think that an all-over cardio & resistance machine such as the Gazelle or EFX machine is sufficient exercise for someone who is only trying to have a healthy cardiovascular system and tone up all around, as opossed to build muscle. I have no desire to look bulky at all, I am 31, only 5'2" am a size 3 and currently weigh 122, so I do not have more than maybe 10 pounds to lose, but I would like to have a lean and toned look.

How often should I work out and is it true that you need to give the muscles a chance to rest in between workouts? Or can I do cardio everyday?

Right now I am doing the Gazelle machine 3 to 4 times a week for 30 mins. each time. I started out 3 weeks ago at only 10 mins., which was all I could do! Since then and in combination with lowcarb eating, supplements and a lot of water, I have lost about 8 pounds. Is that okay progress? Can I expect it to go this well over the next three weeks or do I have to increase my workout time to continue seeing results?

Also what do you think of these so-called "Carb blockers"? Any good?

Thanks!!!
Kendra
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-02, 10:34

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default EFX

The EFX is a great machine. I am assuming you are speaking of the Precor EFX ... It used to be my favorite until I found the LifeFitnesss Cross Trainer.

You can do cardio almost everyday, although you should alter the intensity or program each day. Take at least 1 rest day per week. Make some days "hard days" where you go all-out. Follow a "hard day" with an "easy day", where you work at a level that is a bit easier than you know you can handle.

Your progress is GREAT! Over the next 3 weeks, monitor progress and if you hit a "stall", then I would advise increasing time on the machine a few minutes each session, or begin using a random program one or more times per week.

Carb blockers are, in my opinion, a load of junk. Save your money.