Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-15, 21:59

Plan: under 80 carbs a day
Stats: 260/258/160 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 2%
Default New low carber with lots to lose!

Hi everybody, my name is Nicole. I am in my early 30's and need to lose 100 pounds. Actually I need to lose more than that but 100 will put me out of obesity, I think.

I think I want to start off with a 80 and under carb intake. My reasons are plenty but primarily because I am a MAJOR carbaholic and I eat way too much everyday. So for the past few days I tried keeping it under 50 but I was NOT satisfied with anything and woke up starving. So today I decided I would try for 80 and gradually go down. Has anyone ever done this?

I am having a super hard time with no bread!!!!! So I tried peanut butter celery tonight and felt full! Is it OK to do the peanut butter? I read it is bad for beginners.

Anyways, I am excited to be here and I am glad that I found this site because I feel very alone with my traumatic bread and pasta losses
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-15, 00:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 264/158/125 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Hi Nicole!
The best way to get rid of those cravings is to get your carbs as low as you can until you're in ketosis. You'll know when that happens because you will lose your appetite and may even forget to eat. Usually takes me about 3 days of minimal carbs and very high fat food choices. Often eating what seems to be a ton of food for those couple of days. But it always works.
Then I go back to eating freely from the lower carb vegetable choices.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-15, 01:08

Plan: under 80 carbs a day
Stats: 260/258/160 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 2%

Thank you for your response. I definately appriciate that you included your experience and the time it takes. It gives me a basis to start even if it takes a few days longer.

I will try the high fat eating for several days as you suggested. It won't be easy since I don't eat red meat but I will research it!😁
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-15, 01:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 264/158/125 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

High fat eating is pretty easy!
I eat a lot of mayo!
Bacon or sausage and fried eggs for breakfast. (a little mayo is good here too)
Chicken/turkey/egg or ham salad, heavy on the mayo for lunch. Pork rinds make a great vehicle for scooping it up, or wrap in romaine lettuce leaves.
For dinner: a few pieces of skin on dark meat chicken or some other high fat meat. Add a small serving of low carb veggies smothered in the fat of your choice if you feel the need.
Snacks: bacon, pork rinds with soft butter or dipped in flavored/plain mayo (i add dill, garlic and onion powder), coconut oil fat bombs, deviled eggs.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-15, 06:04

Plan: DANDR 2002
Stats: 432/180/200 Male 5 ft 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 109%

Welcome and best wishes on your woe.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-15, 08:22

Plan: LC HF MP IF
Stats: 565/386/282.5 Male 73
BF:no/thank/you
Progress: 63%

I have tried numerous ways of getting down to weight loss level carb consumption. The only thing that has ever worked for me is to get down to below 20 net carbs without cheating for 3 to 4 days, no matter how uncomfortable. After that both my appetite and cravings nearly disappeared completely. The first time that I started low carbing I did so without enough knowledge, experience, support, etc. and without having a firm realistic long term plan. It resulted and many years of up and down yo yo dieting with a lot more weight gain than weight loss. The Battle of eating low carb very much so took place in my own mind. For me to be successful I had/have to get out of my comfort zone. I have to dig down deep to find the truth in that adage "nothing tastes as good as being thin and healthy feels".

I hope that you having northing but success in your journey.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-15, 08:36
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Hiya Nicole and welcome to the best LC WOE site on the planet.

Here's my bit of advice that goes along with what was posted above by others which was spot on:

I do Atkins '72 (which IMHO is the strictest of all the LC WOE plans) so all my experience is based on that. The science behind it is that low carbs (under 10 actual carbs following A '72) makes us less hungry = less kcals (calories) we will eat. It's the "appetite suppressant" effect of being in ketosis that's really remarkable when you go low carb! I know that's why it's worked for me and the others here.

I think you need to do some research to find out which WOE plan will work best for you and follow the plan 100% without cheating.

IMHO, 80 carbs a day is a lot of carbs and you won't get to experience the life changing affects of ketosis having that many a day.

Wishing you much success on your personal LC WOE journey!

Onward and ↓ DOWNWARD!

Jo
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-15, 21:50

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 262.2/247.2/204 Female 5ft 1/2 inch
BF:
Progress: 26%
Smile

If you're not feeling satisfied, I'd up the fat. Its gives you such a good feeling. I love a small steak with a dollop of sour cream on it, a nice side salad, with a bit of cheese and dressing on it.. OK, gotta stop, im making myself hungry.

If you don't like red meat, what about something like this? I've made it or something close to it, it was delicious!
http://www.food.com/recipe/bacon-wr...-breasts-351156

just keep looking, here and on the net, you'll find all kinds of ideas to up fat that don't include red meat.