Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Wed, Dec-09-15, 08:42

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I know what you are doing. You think the more effort applied, the greater the weight loss. I've been there. I drank a diet soda for breakfast, a cup of chicken broth at lunch, and water the rest of the day. Jiminy, that should take off TEN pounds.

But it doesn't work that way. I know, I lived on the scale. Do yourself a favor and put that thing in a closet. For heaven's sake, you are allowed green beans!

You need to meet a friend of ours:

So proud of my husband, slmrickman!!!
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Wed, Dec-09-15, 09:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Pitfall, please listen.

You need to lose weight, that's true. But you also need to lose the health issues that spring from a high carb diet. Give yourself at least ONE MONTH of on plan eating, with zero cheating.

Pay attention to your portion sizes, but if you are really hungry, eat. A good way to tell, as I learned from others here, is to keep a half dozen hard boiled eggs in the frig. If you think you are hungry, and you don't want them, you are not hungry. You are craving.

There is such a variety of foods that you can eat on a LC way of eating. I made deviled eggs for Thanksgiving, and my guests thought that was awesome. But I made them for me: I could eat two of them, instead of mashed potatoes, stuffing and sweet potatoes. The green beans with plenty of butter and slivered almonds, I ate.

The more you read around this forum, and follow the links that people post (Janet--Jey--has amazing links!) the better you will understand what is and isn't a good idea to eat, and what is and isn't a realistic expectation.

We're cheering for you. But we can't do it for you. YOU need to do that.
  #48   ^
Old Wed, Dec-09-15, 10:34

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Pitfall -

You might find this helpful - http://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/what-to-eat
  #49   ^
Old Wed, Dec-09-15, 11:52
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 310/310/185 Male 69"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I know 8 days is a short period of time, but I went from 280-285 consuming less than 30 grams of carbs. I would have thought I 'd lose 2-3 pounds..maybe? Okay, I promised to be positive a while back and I am. So, maybe I lose the scales, and concentrate on how I feel this time. Such as general well being, everyday aches and pains, and not feeling guilty about food every time I consume it. Same approach, different goals. No scales or tape measures. I'll get back to you.....
  #50   ^
Old Wed, Dec-09-15, 11:59

Plan: Atkins 72 Induc Lifer IF
Stats: 249/157/150 Female 5'7.5"
BF:
Progress: 93%

I had tried a time or two before as well. This time I had to change my mindset and decide I have to do this for me. What most don't realize is once you get past the first month, it becomes habit and you don't really think about it anymore, you just do it. You find the food choices are really delicious and you just get used to this way of eating. After a while, the lbs just start falling off, the clothing really starts hanging off and you realize this is worth it because you just plain feel better. I figured the year was going to pass anyways and I didn't want to hit the next year feeling miserable and I'm so glad that I just said enough is enough and I started. Now, 6 months in I feel amazing and I am starting to get back my hourglass figure, I feel healthy and I am starting to look really good. My family can't believe the transformation even this far in. Even still I just feel so good. There is much pleasure in digging out the old jeans we never thought we would get into again. There is a ton of pleasure in just feeling amazing. I didn't realize how sick I actually was with all that sugar flowing through my body until I had done this a few months. My husband leaves goodies laying around and I don't even desire them anymore because feeling so good is just worth it. Best of luck to you.
  #51   ^
Old Wed, Dec-09-15, 17:41
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Cool

Glad you're back, Pitfall.

LC is like abstinence from other additions: it's best followed 100% strictly. But you know what? I also consider it to be like quitting smoking: you should never quit quitting. If you went 6 months, or 6 weeks, or 6 days without a cigarette, you did your body some good. If you think you "failed" at LC because you caved and had some potato with your chicken and broccoli, for example, oh well - that was still better than french fries and Pepsi. Just get right back on the wagon.

...and dude, as pointed out, you're allowed green beans!

Also, make sure you're only weighing first thing in the morning after going to the bathroom. Accept that the scale is not a fat-o-meter. You have water weight balance things going on, possible constipation... these affect your scale weight, too.

Best of luck making it work. It's so worth it. If this foodie hedonist can do it, anyone can. I love my meals. It's so much fun noshing on bacon, sausage and cheese while my coworkers give me the stink-eye. (I work in food service.)

(ETA) Oh... tip from a fellow sports fan. Go get some Michelob Ultra. Yes, LC beer exists! Is it a great idea if you want to lose weight? No. Is it delicious beer? No. But if it helps you stay compliant, do it. Make a big ol' LC seven-layer nacho dip and bring some pork rinds. No need to miss out. As long as you accept that this is 'maintenance eating' and maintenance eating will yield you maintenance results, it's better than saying 'screw it' and having to start over.

Last edited by Kristine : Wed, Dec-09-15 at 17:53.