Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-19, 07:33

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I think it was a Joe Jackson song from long ago. "Everything Gives You Cancer".

Bob
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-19, 07:51

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
There's even a statistical study linking SALT to cancer .. here

Time to pull out this old gem again;

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10050267

Quote:
Effect of meat (beef, chicken, and bacon) on rat colon carcinogenesis.
Parnaud G1, Peiffer G, Taché S, Corpet DE.
Author information
Abstract
High intake of red meat or processed meat is associated with increased risk of colon cancer. In contrast, consumption of white meat (chicken) is not associated with risk and might even reduce the occurrence of colorectal cancer. We speculated that a diet containing beef or bacon would increase and a diet containing chicken would decrease colon carcinogenesis in rats. One hundred female Fischer 344 rats were given a single injection of azoxymethane (20 mg/kg i.p.), then randomized to 10 different AIN-76-based diets. Five diets were adjusted to 14% fat and 23% protein and five other diets to 28% fat and 40% protein. Fat and protein were supplied by 1) lard and casein, 2) olive oil and casein, 3) beef, 4) chicken with skin, and 5) bacon. Meat diets contained 30% or 60% freeze-dried fried meat. The diets were given ad libitum for 100 days, then colon tumor promotion was assessed by the multiplicity of aberrant crypt foci [number of crypts per aberrant crypt focus (ACF)]. The ACF multiplicity was nearly the same in all groups, except bacon-fed rats, with no effect of fat and protein level or source (p = 0.7 between 8 groups by analysis of variance). In contrast, compared with lard- and casein-fed controls, the ACF multiplicity was reduced by 12% in rats fed a diet with 30% bacon and by 20% in rats fed a diet with 60% bacon (p < 0.001). The water intake was higher in bacon-fed rats than in controls (p < 0.0001). The concentrations of iron and bile acids in fecal water and total fatty acids in feces changed with diet, but there was no correlation between these concentrations and the ACF multiplicity. Thus the hypothesis that colonic iron, bile acids, or total fatty acids can promote colon tumors is not supported by this study. The results suggest that, in rats, beef does not promote the growth of ACF and chicken does not protect against colon carcinogenesis. A bacon-based diet appears to protect against carcinogenesis, perhaps because bacon contains 5% NaCl and increased the rats' water intake.

I still find it hilarious that the 60 percent bacon diet protecting versus cancer in this study was hypothesized to be due to a protective effect of water. Clearly this has been suppressed as a cancer cure, because, who's going to get rich off of water? Excluding Coca-Cola and PepsiCo of course.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't pasture fed, heritage-breed, nitrite-free, uncured bacon. Also probably wasn't sea or himalayan salt.
  #33   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-19, 11:36

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Thanks for posting that Teaser.

PubMed ~ the NCBI is one of my most trusted sources. After all, they are culled from respected, peer-reviewed, scientific journals.

This one from Laboratoire Sécurité des Aliments, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, Ecole Nationale Vétérinaire, Toulouse, France. And since France has Nationalized medicine, it's a good bet they are trying to prevent disease and the gov't expense of treating disease.

Of course that experiment was done on rats engineered to get cancer. There is a very good possibility that the results would be similar with humans. This type of testing is infinitely more reliable than mere statistical studies and since we can't experiment on humans this way, it's probably the best we can do.

If I were a rat, I wouldn't have wanted to be in the control group

Bob