Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-08, 08:51

Plan: Duncan's choice
Stats: 165/160/160 Male 5'10
BF:
Progress:

Yes, many people in the candidiasis group use colloidal silver, oil of oregano, coconut oil, olive leaf extract, or other broad-spectrum treatment, but they still need to low-carb to get rid of the candida flare because it's actually the diet that leads to correct bowel ecology and less candida, not the presence of an antifungal.

Duncan
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sun, Jan-03-10, 20:27

Plan: Pimentel for IBS
Stats: 107/156/168 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default Mark Pimentel. A New IBS Solution

Pimentel's book, A New IBS Solution, takes up where Elaine Gottschall's book leaves off.

His theory of IBS is identical to Gottschall's. But his prescription for a cure differs.

Both Gottschall and Pimentel claim that bacteria migrate from the large intestine, or colon, to the small intestine, where they do not belong and where they cause gas, diarrhea, or constipation.

Both Gottschall and Pimentel claim that a predigested factory diet--called an "elemental diet"--can kill of the bacterial overgrowth of the small intestine.

Both Gottschall and Pimentel suggest that IBSers should eat a diet that can be easily digested. But they differ in what that diet consists of. I have found that Pimentel's diet worked quite well for me, completely ending all diarrhea, while Gottschall's diet did not.

Pimentel also recommends taking antibiotics. The antibiotics did not work for me, though I know many people who have been helped by them. The elemental diet (Vivonex Plus) did not work for me either. But, as I said, Pimentel's diet, which is a low-carbohydrate diet, was quite helpful. It did not cure me, but it was a significant improvement.
  #48   ^
Old Mon, Jan-04-10, 05:14

Plan: Pimentel for IBS
Stats: 107/156/168 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 80%

A great book that is not written for people with digestive problems, but, nonetheless has a wealth of information on how our digestion works and how it can be improved, is Richard Wrangham's Catching Fire: How Cooking Made Us Human.

Wrangham gives great information on why it is important that we eat foods that are easy to digest. If you combine his information with Pimentel's idea that badly digested foods lead to candida and IBS, you get some great ideas on how to improve the diet.