Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, May-14-21, 09:16

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benay
Me too
also better than fish

Fortunately, I love fish more the better it is for me. So it's mackerel, salmon, and smoked kippers!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, May-14-21, 10:33
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I had a terrible 24 hours after the 2nd Moderna. It has little to do with diet, IMHO. I sort of welcomed the side-effects because I felt they were an indication of the health of my immune system. However, Moderna also has more severe side-effects than the Pfizer shot.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, May-14-21, 11:51

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Pigs and chickens raised in conventional American operations are unfortunately fed a lot of stuff like corn or soybeans which adds loads of pro-inflammatory omega 6 fats found in these feeds to their body fat which is then passed on to ours. Not good. Ruminants on the other hand (cow/buffalo/sheep/goat) naturally convert the omega 6 fats to safer types of fat (for us when we eat it) in their complex digestive tracts. This is still the case with ruminants like cattle even when fed low quality conventional feed. If one can afford higher quality meats, great, but if not even the lowest quality beef is going to have a way better healthy to unhealthy (overloaded omega 6) fat profile compared with single stomach pigs and poultry fed typical cheap feeds. We, like pigs and chickens, cannot convert omega 6 to healthier fats like a ruminant can, so best IMO to minimize/avoid fats of these conventionally raised single stomach animals and get our animal fats from ruminant meat/dairy sources. At least that's what's working right now for me. For fish, I like to avoid farm-raised stuff because the commercial feed will likely contain the same kind of unhealthy stuff the animals are consuming. Wild caught, better.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, May-14-21, 14:34

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zei
If one can afford higher quality meats, great, but if not even the lowest quality beef is going to have a way better healthy to unhealthy (overloaded omega 6) fat profile compared with single stomach pigs and poultry fed typical cheap feeds. We, like pigs and chickens, cannot convert omega 6 to healthier fats like a ruminant can, so best IMO to minimize/avoid fats of these conventionally raised single stomach animals and get our animal fats from ruminant meat/dairy sources. At least that's what's working right now for me. For fish, I like to avoid farm-raised stuff because the commercial feed will likely contain the same kind of unhealthy stuff the animals are consuming. Wild caught, better.

Working for me as well. Good points, particularly regarding farmed fish.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, May-17-21, 08:31

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I can't eat chicken. Due to the fact that they are fed too much corn, the meat has too much arachidonic acid, which inflames both my inherited bursitis and my occupational arthritis.

Before I gave up chicken and egg yolks, I couldn't walk 2 blocks without sitting for a long rest and I couldn't drive without a 'blue ice' pack behind my right hip.

I followed an arthritis/bursitis diet a doc gave me, which meant no fowl or egg yolks (it's also low carb) and now I can walk 4 miles for exercise with no pain at all, and drive for 8 or more hours without the blue ice pack.

I went from needing a hip replacement to zero pain in a few months.

Bob
  #21   ^
Old Mon, May-17-21, 14:21

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Yeah Bob!!!