Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-13-11, 08:17
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 154.5/154.5/120 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Confused

I am almost 18 weeks pregnant with my 2nd child. I have been low carbing since I started the 2nd trimester and my weight is still through the roof. I have been gaining 5 lbs overnight. I am so confused. Don't know what to do.

Any ideas? Has anyone had the same thing happen?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-13-11, 08:33
Registered Member

Stats: 241/211/145 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 31%

Can you post your daily menu.Maybe someone can go through it and find the problem.Are you retaining water?
some people think low carbing means just avoiding white stuff and junk food.Thats not true.High carb fruits,grains and veggies can cause trouble for some people.how many carbs (net) do you take in?You may want to keep in below at 75-100.also avoid high impact foods.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-13-11, 09:05
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks primrose. So here is what i mostly eat on a daily basis.

B- 1 piece of low carb toast with a slice of provolone cheese
L - Salad with grilled chicken
S - An apple or 2 crackers with cheese
D- Lentils or Beans with some kinda veggie

I eat about 2 tbsp of choc peanut butter every few days. Never seemed to cause a problem before.

How do I know if I am retaining water?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-11, 08:40
Registered Member

BF:

Looks alright to me.I am not a low carb guru,but here is my two cents.
Are you taking in too few calories?
Also maybe you want to pair your dinner with something protein,since legumes are mostly carbs than protein.
also make sure your low carb fare is really low carb.I once ate a wheat wrap that said 5 gm net carbs but I was gaining weight crazy.It was a 38 total - fiber but their calc was wrong.If a low carb product has too much fiber and claims low net carb ,beware of that.
Also eating salty foods like bacon,too much cheese,etc retains water for some.
how about keeping a daily food journal to see whats going on.I would pair each meal with some good protein like meat,fish,eggs,cheese etc.instead of eating a higher carb all alone.
i am not yet lowcarbing since i have too much morning sickness.
I am wondering its something you are unknowingly consuming that causes the weight gain.I used to low carb whole day and one bad choice like a piece of chocolate makes me gain.guess i am too sensitive.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-11, 13:45

Plan: Primal-ish
Stats: 212/181/150 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 50%

You need more food! Focus on whole foods and definitely don't try to limit fats--babies need them for nerve and brain development. Also try to make sure you get enough protein. See: Brewer Mediical Diet for Pregnancy . There is a wealth of information there. Best wishes~
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-15-11, 08:07
Registered Member

BF:

Brewer is a high carb high protein diet.
You need more food but let it come from veggies,low impact fruits and full fat diary.
I did brewer for third trimester for my first,ended up with 25lb weigt gain in 3 months.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-16-11, 18:50

Plan: Primal-ish
Stats: 212/181/150 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I meant for the protein requirements, because basically Dr. Brewer said his success at treating toxemia etc was due to the adequate protein level, not the carbs.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-18-11, 18:54

Plan: hunter-gatherer
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 5'6"
BF:breast feeding! ;)

hmm, my vote would be that you are eating too much carbs and fiber, and not enough fat/protein.
for fruit, you want to be eating berries or melons. apples are fairly high in sugar...
beans/lentils have a lot of starch in them, can you switch that out for meat with veggies?
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-20-11, 09:56

Stats: 171/151/143 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

Hanny-

I'm pregnant with #2 as well and although I worked hard to not gain as much this time by lcing it just hasn't worked. It is as if they baby and the scale have minds of their own. I know that may not help much, but I'm begining to feel like I should just eat what comes naturally now, without over endulging and go back to LC after the baby. That is what ended up happening with baby 1 and I lost all the weight.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-20-11, 11:53
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks everyone!

~groovy girl.. that makes sense.. when r u due?? i gained 50 lbs with my son and i ate EVERYTHING... it took me a long time to get my body back which is why i don't want to make the same mistake again
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jul-22-11, 13:32

Stats: 171/151/143 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanny
Thanks everyone!

~groovy girl.. that makes sense.. when r u due?? i gained 50 lbs with my son and i ate EVERYTHING... it took me a long time to get my body back which is why i don't want to make the same mistake again

I'm due near the end of Sept. I gained 50 Lbs with my daughter 2 years ago- the first trimester killed me both times. I was so sick I had to eat to keep from throwing up all the time. I felt just like you did this time around and went to LC to try and prevent it, but I'm gaining at the same clip. That is why I'm to the point where I may just let the chips fall and clean it up after the baby is born.

It took about 9 months for me to get the weight off last time, but I had to really work hard those last 2 months thru doing induction over and over, plus a ton of running. If that is what it takes, I'll do it again - I have no choice.

Last edited by Groovegirl : Fri, Jul-22-11 at 14:08.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Dec-06-11, 14:32

Plan: no books
Stats: 15/16/65 Female 168
BF:
Progress:
Default provera tablets

I had my last period on the 20 of sept dis year. I went to my family gp mid november and told her we did several pregnancy tests and it was all negative,did blood test as well,told my doc that we were tryin to conceive.i was told that my hormone levels were not right and to get my period goin she gave me PROVERA for 10 tens 3 times a day...i took that and still no sign of period....yesterday i went and did a pregnancy test n it came positive.. now i am very worried that taking PROVERA might hav had some side effect on pregnancy...my gp said as far as she knows it doesnt but it hasnt put me to peace...m very worried n upset and hadnt slept whole nite yesterdy...could someone advice me plizzzzzz....i dnt want to end 9 mnths worrying abt it.

ps..i dnt knw wen i conceived n i iwill only knw wen i go for scan today....
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Dec-13-11, 08:15

Plan: low-carb/high-fat
Stats: 324/184/150 Female 5.5 feet
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by zal
I had my last period on the 20 of sept dis year. I went to my family gp mid november and told her we did several pregnancy tests and it was all negative,did blood test as well,told my doc that we were tryin to conceive.i was told that my hormone levels were not right and to get my period goin she gave me PROVERA for 10 tens 3 times a day...i took that and still no sign of period....yesterday i went and did a pregnancy test n it came positive.. now i am very worried that taking PROVERA might hav had some side effect on pregnancy...my gp said as far as she knows it doesnt but it hasnt put me to peace...m very worried n upset and hadnt slept whole nite yesterdy...could someone advice me plizzzzzz....i dnt want to end 9 mnths worrying abt it.

ps..i dnt knw wen i conceived n i iwill only knw wen i go for scan today....

Talk to your doctor - taking Provera during the first trimester has been linked to certain birth defects (from a quick Google, it looks like only physical defects). The site I read only mentioned about 5-8% of women who took Provera while pregnant having babies with deformities, so it's a relatively low risk.

I have a similar concern - I was taking large amount of vitamin A (palmitate) supplements before I found out I was pregnant. This has been linked to physical deformities such as cleft lip. All I could do was stop the supplements, and all that can be done now is to have some additional ultrasounds in my third trimester (when baby is developed enough to see things more clearly) to check for deformities. Worrying doesn't help anything.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Dec-13-11, 14:55

Plan: LC Paleo
Stats: 211/177/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 48%

Just want to mention that gaining so much weight overnight might be worth a call to the Dr. Don't want to freak you out for no reason but my OB said it could be a warning sign of preeclampsia, definitely not fun and something you would want to catch ASAP. Also would advise eating more. I ended up only gaining about 20 pounds with my second child, after gaining almost 70 with my first. Eat well, don't worry about amounts so much and watch the salt.