Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Jun-29-07, 09:49

Plan: Moderate Low-Carb <100g
Stats: 130/110.2/115 Female 5'3.5
BF:00/00/00
Progress: 132%

Thanks!

Yeah, the extra cardio after the HIIT wouldn't be cardio at all. I don't get any kinda sweaty from 3.0 on a flat surface. zzZZZ. It was just to pass the time until I had to pick up my kids.

So last night I did 3 min of 3.0 walking (warm up), then 3 minutes of walking at a 15%grade at 3.8mph, then flat to 3.0 to catch my breath. Once it was normal I ran 8.5mph (flat) for 40 seconds, then back down to 3.0 to catch my breath again, then the hill again at 3.8.....etc,etc.

I did this for 30 minutes. Should have stuck to 20 though because I could TELL that it was kicking my ass.... and this morning, um, I really feel it there too! HA!

Today is weights though, thank God.... no cardio.... OY!

What is EPOC? I tried yahoo-ing it, but it just gave me a bunch of Windows gibberish.

Julia
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Jun-29-07, 23:47

Plan: close to zero carbs
Stats: 225/206/210 Male 73
BF:
Progress:

Excercise post oxygen consumption..

I love Alwyn Cosgrove..here is his take on "cardio" and EPOC

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/alwyn8.htm

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1526539
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Jun-30-07, 08:10

Plan: The Real Human Diet
Stats: 225/165/180 Male 5'8"
BF:?/?/8.6%
Progress: 133%

Quote:
But if you do the HIIT type you may burn fat for 38 hours more!!

I have to agree 100% My own experience confirms this. Just think, if you do a HIIT type workout most days of the week, you will be burning fat at an excellerated rate virtually all the time!
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Jun-30-07, 09:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL53563
I have to agree 100% My own experience confirms this. Just think, if you do a HIIT type workout most days of the week, you will be burning fat at an excellerated rate virtually all the time!

I know this! I know this! BUT, the big grand poobah question of the day is...... is THIS (below) HIIT, or NOT? That's all I need to know. All I need to know before I DIE.

"So last night I did 3 min of 3.0 walking (warm up), then 3 minutes of walking at a 15%grade at 3.8mph, then flat to 3.0 to catch my breath. Once it was normal I ran 8.5mph (flat) for 40 seconds, then back down to 3.0 to catch my breath again, then the hill again at 3.8.....etc,etc. 30 Minutes."

Someone! Anyone? SLAP ME! I must know before I implode!

Julia
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Jun-30-07, 12:01
Strong Chicks Rock!!

Plan: Atkins (total, not net)
Stats: 194/151.2/150 Female 5'5"
BF:35.8%/19%/17%
Progress: 97%

If your hubby doesn't get off his butt and get to the gym with you soon, and you'd like to teach yourself how to properly lift free weights, here's a site with video clips of various exercises:
http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

Here's another one with animation: http://www.thetrainingstationinc.com/exercises.html
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Jun-30-07, 12:03
Strong Chicks Rock!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoulia
I know this! I know this! BUT, the big grand poobah question of the day is...... is THIS (below) HIIT, or NOT? That's all I need to know. All I need to know before I DIE.

"So last night I did 3 min of 3.0 walking (warm up), then 3 minutes of walking at a 15%grade at 3.8mph, then flat to 3.0 to catch my breath. Once it was normal I ran 8.5mph (flat) for 40 seconds, then back down to 3.0 to catch my breath again, then the hill again at 3.8.....etc,etc. 30 Minutes."

Someone! Anyone? SLAP ME! I must know before I implode!

Julia

Yes, that's below HIIT intensity. It has to be all out effort, fast walking ain't gonna cut it. (ie..you couldn't possibly run any faster) You can also do HIIT on the cycle, elliptical, etc, you don't have to do sprints, but it has to be ALL OUT EFFORT.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Jun-30-07, 12:07
Strong Chicks Rock!!

Oh, I wanted to add that what you're doing is interval training, but it's not high intensity interval training. Trust me, if you're doing HIIT, you won't make it for 30 minutes on the treadmill, you'll be dying after 15 minutes.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Jun-30-07, 14:18

Plan: The Real Human Diet
Stats: 225/165/180 Male 5'8"
BF:?/?/8.6%
Progress: 133%

I think that walking at 3.8 mph on a 15% grade could qualify as high intensity. If you haven't tried it, it's tougher than it might sound. Really, it all depends on your heartrate. By the end of your hard interval, you'll want your heartrate to be at least 90% of your maximum heart rate. If so, then it qualifies as high intensity.
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Jun-30-07, 14:27
Strong Chicks Rock!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL53563
I think that walking at 3.8 mph on a 15% grade could qualify as high intensity. If you haven't tried it, it's tougher than it might sound. Really, it all depends on your heartrate. By the end of your hard interval, you'll want your heartrate to be at least 90% of your maximum heart rate. If so, then it qualifies as high intensity.

I generally walk at 4.5 mph at any incline and it certainly doesn't get me anywhere near 90% max heart rate. This is my steady state cardio following weight training.

I just find it doubtful that walking would provide maximum effort for someone of the OP's weight. Perhaps, if you are VERY overweight, this would be maximum effort.

To qualify as HIIT, the high intensity portion does have to me maximum effort, as all of the relevant studies were done at that level.

From wikipedia:
Quote:
High-intensity interval training (HIIT) is an exercise strategy that is intended to improve performance with short training sessions. A HIIT session involves a warmup period, several short, maximum-intensity efforts separated by moderate recovery intervals, and a cooldown period. The period of alternating effort and recovery intervals typically lasts a total of 15 minutes.

Now, if it's not possible for the OP to move any faster than 3.8 mph, then it's maximum effort. I just doubt that's the case given her stats.
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Jun-30-07, 14:40

Howdy,

Well the 3.8 at the 15% incline *IS* as fast as I can walk without falling off the back of the treadmill, AND I can only do it for ONE minute. Then I bring it back down flat, rest for two minutes, then I run 8.5mph (this is all out for me) for 40 seconds (that's as long as I can handle it) then rest from that at 2.5mph, flat... then do the 3.8 hill again (15% is as HIGH as the treadmill inclines), then the flat, then the run.... etc.

I did that this morning for 30 minutes and I can basically barely walk right now, so I'm thinkin' it's doing SOMETHING. And, my heartrate is at 170 when I'm going all out. Crazy.

So maybe it's HIIT for me but not for someone in better shape?

In any event, someone come saw off my legs cuz my hammies are burnin'!

Julia
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Jun-30-07, 14:51
Strong Chicks Rock!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoulia
Howdy,

Well the 3.8 at the 15% incline *IS* as fast as I can walk without falling off the back of the treadmill, AND I can only do it for ONE minute. Then I bring it back down flat, rest for two minutes, then I run 8.5mph (this is all out for me) for 40 seconds (that's as long as I can handle it) then rest from that at 2.5mph, flat... then do the 3.8 hill again (15% is as HIGH as the treadmill inclines), then the flat, then the run.... etc.

I did that this morning for 30 minutes and I can basically barely walk right now, so I'm thinkin' it's doing SOMETHING. And, my heartrate is at 170 when I'm going all out. Crazy.

So maybe it's HIIT for me but not for someone in better shape?

In any event, someone come saw off my legs cuz my hammies are burnin'!

Julia

Well, there's a difference between being as fast as you can walk and maximum effort. Walking generally isn't acceptable for HIIT.

I'm sure you'll say "but I can't run". Well, I can't either. Not for longer than the 20 or 30 second sprints I'm doing for HIIT. I couldn't run a mile to save my life, but I do alternate usually 20 second sprints with 40 second of walking. If you do this just for 10-20 minutes per session, you will see great results.

If running really is just too difficult for you, then do something else. The bike is my second favorite. Just make sure you are pedaling as fast as you possibly can during the "sprint" part.
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Jun-30-07, 14:52

Just wanted to add, that on the treadmill itself, it says that 144 is 80% of my maximum heartrate, so i'm thinkin' 170 is definitely hitting the 90%.

?

Julia

p.s. thank you very much for everyone's responses, I truly appreciate each and every one. Gostrydr, I'm off to read up on EPOC now, thanks for the links. LoveMyGSDs - I'll check out those links to weight lifting. I found a great one at www.myfreetrainer.com as well. Videos and everything! Check it out!
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Jun-30-07, 15:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gostrydr
Excercise post oxygen consumption..

I love Alwyn Cosgrove..here is his take on "cardio" and EPOC

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/alwyn8.htm

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1526539

Just finished reading both and forwarding them to my sister. TOTALLY BOTH awesome reads. Thanks very much!!!!!!!

Julia
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Jun-30-07, 16:03

Plan: close to zero carbs
Stats: 225/206/210 Male 73
BF:
Progress:

FORGET HEART RATE!!! FORGET FAT BURNING ZONE!!

Yes Kaypeeoh I am yelling
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Jul-01-07, 15:59

Plan: bodyopus
Stats: 212/196/185
BF:15%
Progress: 59%
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gostrydr
FORGET HEART RATE!!! FORGET FAT BURNING ZONE!!

Yes Kaypeeoh I am yelling

Right on just get out there and do it, i am not the kind of person to enjoy walking on a treadmill or stationnary biking, to each is own i guess and i respect anyone cardio choices.

But for me i just got to get intense and feel that something is happening.

Boxing and high intensity cardio is what i need and i do beleive that it does help with faster weight loss, not in pounds but in inches.